Saints Re-Sign 5 players, Zac gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Enough about Dawson, it's Blake that's boggling. Are the veteran rules so badly written that we have to delist him to put him back on the primary list?

Its designed so you cant simply remove a guy on little bucks to put a guy on big bucks on it. That's what we are doing. :cool::cool::cool:

Any word of the contract lengths for these players?
Blake is almost certainly on 1 yr deals as they are fairly standard for veteran players over 30.

The others are probably on 1-2yr deals so that the club can have some flexibility on fine tuning the salary cap next year which could allow the club to increase payments to those that are now playing for less than they should be to keep club under the cap.

Some of our stars will probably have their wages lessened (or a change in the make up i.e. bonuses etc.) at their next negotiation, hopefully they don't pull a Ball or Dawson.

Enough about Dawson, it's Blake that's boggling. Are the veteran rules so badly written that we have to delist him to put him back on the primary list?

Yes and no, if the club is in "surpluss" of vets having an excess eats into the rookie list spots, it's an "or" as opposed to an "and" scenario with it then being that you simply cannot drop back without effectively re-listing the player.

The long and the short of it is that a vast majority of AFL documentation needs the lawyering treatment as it's al gibberish based on "intent" "spirit" and otherwise opinion as opposed to "ease of use" or "application".

this is bad. We just lost another KPP. thats 2 in 2 weeks.

seriously we needed dawson. I actually gave us a 5% chance with walsh/dawson but without them no chance seriously how we gonna win a flag with sammy fisher and blake the only 2 key defenders?

don't know, but i'd rather lose dawson, then be over the salary cap and pay substantial fines.

If you're basing your confidence levels for next year on our signing of a 24 year old inside mid who played 15 games, basically helping to fill the gap left by our finest midfielder...and are disappointed in this. Well, shit.

Personally I'd like to see Polo worked out of the team over the year. But he's definitely a more than worthy back up. And who knows he might even take a Peake like step up and really prove himself as one of our best 22.

I think Polo could be a good player if he learns how to kick. He is aggresive enough to win a handful of clearances and a few tackles a game. Is that enough? Because his disposal is disgraceful for AFL standard. With Lenny coming back and Ledger hopefully on the improve, he might only be a back up option. I wouldnt play him unless his kicking improved alot.

Archer and Simpkin have to step up! No Dawson, no Gwilt is going to leave a big hole in our defence add to that more focus on Attack. Its going to be huge important for these guys to have big improvement this season, and why can't they improve! They have been around for a few years! They have a great opportunity to really Cement a spot for themselves! Sometimes you have to take a bull by the horns! Not much improvent from them last season and given the opportunity now, if these guys don't improve and step up to AFL standard this year I will be bitterly disapointed! If they can't get games this season in the back line then they deserve to be moved on and someone else should get a chance.

You dog Dawson, if you wanted to leave why didn't you put your hand up during trade week so we could get something in return for all we have done to reignite your career.

Good riddance I say, go join your backstabbing mate over in the West. Only way you'll get a game.

Like your prose, but what is it do you think we would have got for Zac in a trade? Two knobs of goat shit?

I laugh when I read that we have lost another KPP, posted by a user named 'Tommy Walsh'. FFS, Walsh has played ZERO AFL games, thats 20 less than Barry Brooks and 50 less than Brett Cook.
Zac is only a loss because he is 195cm, no other reason that I can think of yet, and believe me I'm doing my best. Evidentally he wasn't even worth the two knobs on the open market.
Polo is a good 'jobber' as Dermie says, you can't have a list of 40 stars, it just aint going to happen. There are four tiers of players and he is a third tier player who twice a year may play like a second tier player, which suits me just fine.

Well done to those who have signed, esp pleased for Peake - he is one of my fav players. And thanks to Blake for being a wonderful clubman - reckon they have Hayes, Kosi and Milne who can go onto the Vets list, Blake onto the Primary List leaves room for more Rookies/cap space.

Maybe a Simpkin or Archer can step up to the tall back role. Wonder whether they are looking at a mature age FB local or interstate. The best of the delisted tall backs IMO are Austin 22 193/95, Collier 22 192/86 and Coad 28 190/86

The thing with Polo is that he's there for when the kids need a breather. The kids are still kids, and will inevitably get injuries or tire over a long 22 game season. Polo's there to be a hard and reliable "filler", especially in the guts (where the risk of injury is most severe for young bodies). He'll probably get 10 games, unless he blossoms miraculously into a replacement for Lenny going on (which is unlikely).

Money spent on Raph and Polo is money wasted.

Resigned Polo..............the confidence and hope I had for 2012 may have just evaporated!

What are they thinking? Raph at least showed some glimpses at times.

It disappoints me to see such lack of respect for these guys. Sure - they are fringe players but both contribute to our club through their selfless on-field performance and the dedication off-field to be able to do so. It is the club that selected them and it is the club that retained them. We cannot hang onto a playing list that is all stars, if you look at recent events you will see we can't even hang on to a playing list that is only one quarter stars. We have to hang onto the GOP's that we have in order to be able to afford the stars - or we will lose them all.

Respect please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

two bits of great news for me, Zac the frightened rabbit in the headlights Dawson, is gone and the resigning of dempster and blake.Dawson was good at punching the ball nothing else, and cost many goals with his stupid freekicks which always resulted in easy goals to the opposition.
Great of the other players to take a pay cut and stay with the saints.

So who goes onto vets list? Milney? Im ok with it as im assuming he is taking big paycut and just playing for love of the game/club next year. Might aswell put guys on more $$$ on the vets list.

You'd think that would be part of the re-structure.

I think as a board we should also acknowledge that posters with information in regards to the contractual situations were all just about spot on. Good stuff to have posters like this. Who needs the media!

Just a question, how has Blakey taken one for the team? Seems to me that it's just a reshuffle to allow a higher paid player onto the vets list.

Great news about the signings.

As I understand it, still a high risk of being picked up by another club, when he obviously loves the Saints dearly.

Hoping other clubs take the ethical approach knowing the situation, but still will be anxious until his name is read out as a pick to St Kilda.

The Veteran List rules have changed. You can have as many as you want BUT the more you have, the less per player goes outside the cap. So basically:

1 Vet- 100% outside cap
2 Vets - 50% per player outside
3 Vets - 33.33% per player outside
4 Vets - 25% per player outside

So your better off having your most expensive guys on there. With Lenny & Milney im guessing $500-$550K goes outside the cap. But you add Blake into calculations then potentially only $400K would go outside....

** Only working those figures out with rough estimates of their wages **

As for needing to be delisted and then re-drafted. Well that is just the most ridiculous rule ever, but its the same for everyone and i guess it does stop every club doing this to try rort the system... Basically its a gamble cos if you did it with say a Milney or Hayes you wouldnt see them again as another club would pounce. hopefully we are able to pick Blake up.

As for needing to be delisted and then re-drafted. Well that is just the most ridiculous rule ever

It is - so what if the club wants Hayes and Milne instead of Hayes and Blake as veterans. That rule sucks.

Trotto - if my work wanted to give me a pay cut, and said that (in addition to that) I'd need to be sacked and then re-hired (and, in addition to that) another employer might step in to employ me instead even though I'm happy where I am, I'd be taking one for the team.

Freo fans have themselves a new whipping boy. A million dollar over 3 years whipping boy.

e.f.a

As I understand it, still a high risk of being picked up by another club, when he obviously loves the Saints dearly.

Hoping other clubs take the ethical approach knowing the situation, but still will be anxious until his name is read out as a pick to St Kilda.

I don't see what would be un-ethical about another team taking him. The only reason you are in this situation is bad contract management. The fact that a veteran has to be de-listed and picked up again just so you can fall under the salary cap should surely raise the eyebrows a little bit?

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if another team (including Freo) picked him up in the draft. This is a 100% salary cap issue and as such is your problem, therefore there is no 'gentleman's agreement' not to take him.

I don't see what would be un-ethical about another team taking him. The only reason you are in this situation is bad contract management. The fact that a veteran has to be de-listed and picked up again just so you can fall under the salary cap should surely raise the eyebrows a little bit?

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if another team (including Freo) picked him up in the draft. This is a 100% salary cap issue and as such is your problem, therefore there is no 'gentleman's agreement' not to take him.

Firstly, it's not 'our' problem, as we are just supporters on a football forum.

The fact that shouldn't be overlooked here, is that HE doesn't want to go anywhere else, and wants to stay at St Kilda.

So why would a club pick him up a guy who loves his football club, really wants to play his 200th game with said club, worse case scenario even force an interstate move on him, when he is already 30 and about to be married and one would assume is content and settled in Victoria.

If St Kilda picked up a player in a similar situation, I'd be angry, very angry.

However you make a good point, Ross Lyon doing so wouldn't exactly surprise me.

Channel 10 news just said Kosi will go onto Veterans list... He must just qualify for it.

Channel 10 news just said Kosi will go onto Veterans list... He must just qualify for it.

We've looked at this before? (Kosi makes it by a couple of weeks and Roo misses by a couple of weeks).

We've looked at this before? (Kosi makes it by a couple of weeks and Roo misses by a couple of weeks).

Yea i remember that now that ive looked at their ages :eek::eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints Re-Sign 5 players, Zac gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back