Saints Re-Sign 5 players, Zac gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Still a farcical rule though.

We must be paying Kosi over the odds!

Or they guessed?

Or perhaps given Kosi is on a two year deal, his earnings may of been shuffled to get them out of trouble last year...

Pretty sure Milne is on a 12 month extention isn't he?

Dunno, I just remember reading Kosi signed a heavily reduced contract somewhere.

Edit, here it is.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...ns-with-st-kilda/story-e6frg1xu-1225895292435

The Saints, who are about to announce other signings, including Adam Schneider, decided to pounce early to take the new team out of play.
Koschitzke was handsomely rewarded with his previous three-year deal and it is understood he took a pay cut with his latest arrangement.
In the final year of his deal (2012), Koschitzke will be on the veteran's list meaning only half his wage will have to squeeze under the salary cap.

Or they guessed?

Or perhaps given Kosi is on a two year deal, his earnings may of been shuffled to get them out of trouble last year...

Pretty sure Milne is on a 12 month extention isn't he?

Dunno, I just remember reading Kosi signed a heavily reduced contract somewhere.

Edit, here it is.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...ns-with-st-kilda/story-e6frg1xu-1225895292435

The Saints, who are about to announce other signings, including Adam Schneider, decided to pounce early to take the new team out of play.
Koschitzke was handsomely rewarded with his previous three-year deal and it is understood he took a pay cut with his latest arrangement.
In the final year of his deal (2012), Koschitzke will be on the veteran's list meaning only half his wage will have to squeeze under the salary cap.

Still means he is being payed over the odds. Just took a pay cut, but was handsomely rewarded with previous one... Im sure its not back to where he was before that contract...

I laugh when I read that we have lost another KPP, posted by a user named 'Tommy Walsh'. FFS, Walsh has played ZERO AFL games, thats 20 less than Barry Brooks and 50 less than Brett Cook.
Zac is only a loss because he is 195cm, no other reason that I can think of yet, and believe me I'm doing my best. Evidentally he wasn't even worth the two knobs on the open market.
Polo is a good 'jobber' as Dermie says, you can't have a list of 40 stars, it just aint going to happen. There are four tiers of players and he is a third tier player who twice a year may play like a second tier player, which suits me just fine.

You are a wise man BrianSpeaking. I totally agree with your comments. :thumbsu:

two bits of great news for me, Zac the frightened rabbit in the headlights Dawson, is gone and the resigning of dempster and blake.Dawson was good at punching the ball nothing else, and cost many goals with his stupid freekicks which always resulted in easy goals to the opposition.
Great of the other players to take a pay cut and stay with the saints.

Touche, GilberttheBest Touche! It was embarrassing to watch each week. We would have been far better off keeping Maxy H at FB. replacing Maxy H with Dawson will go down as one of the worst decisions in the history of the club.

Cudos to all the other players & I hope we get the chance to cheer Blakey next year in his 200th game.

The fact that shouldn't be overlooked here, is that HE doesn't want to go anywhere else, and wants to stay at St Kilda.
It doesn't matter what HE wants if HE nominates for the draft, the moment he does that he becomes open to anyone regardless of what HE wants.

So why would a club pick him up a guy who loves his football club, really wants to play his 200th game with said club, worse case scenario even force an interstate move on him, when he is already 30 and about to be married and one would assume is content and settled in Victoria.
Because they want a good player to fill a gap they have. all the other stuff you have said is just personal issues Blake has, and once he nominates he has to leave that stuff behind because the possibility is there that another club could and probably will pick him up.

If St Kilda picked up a player in a similar situation, I'd be angry, very angry.
That's your issue not anyone elses. If it makes a team stronger (Hawthorn/GWS/GC/Freo) then I don't see why it should matter. After all, It was his choise to nominate wasn't it? He knew the risks.

However you make a good point, Ross Lyon doing so wouldn't exactly surprise me.
So you'd be ok with us taking both Dawson AND Blake???

It doesn't matter what HE wants if HE nominates for the draft, the moment he does that he becomes open to anyone regardless of what HE wants.

Because they want a good player to fill a gap they have. all the other stuff you have said is just personal issues Blake has, and once he nominates he has to leave that stuff behind because the possibility is there that another club could and probably will pick him up.

That's your issue not anyone elses. If it makes a team stronger (Hawthorn/GWS/GC/Freo) then I don't see why it should matter. After all, It was his choise to nominate wasn't it? He knew the risks.

I see why Lyin went to Freo - the coach, supporters and club have the same standard of ethics: the standard of gutter rats.

In my opinion it's still just a formailty. No other club will take Blake.

As SainterK said, i wouldn't be happy, ethics wise, if we were to draft someone from another club in Blakes situation.

If Blakey comes out and says he wouldn't play for anyone else if drafted, we have no problem? others have done it in the past.

In my opinion it's still just a formailty. No other club will take Blake.

As SainterK said, i wouldn't be happy, ethics wise, if we were to draft someone from another club in Blakes situation.

If Blakey comes out and says he wouldn't play for anyone else if drafted, we have no problem? others have done it in the past.

Similar to when Gehrig came out of retirement. We re-drafted him with Pick 56 from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May come as a surprise Angelus, but I actually don't control the draft.

So me being with it OK isn't really relevant.

I'm thinking you work at Freo though, all this us business? ;)

Having a player who doesn't want to be there doesn't make a team stronger, but I figure this is just not something you are comprehending this evening.

Zac is only a loss because he is 195cm, no other reason that I can think of yet, and believe me I'm doing my best.

Dawson beat Cloke 1/1 in both Grand Finals in 2010 & it could be argued that only Franklin is a better KPF than Cloke in the entire AFL, you underrate him at your own peril. Understandable, big blokes have never been a preference for SKOB, hence their position in B Section.

Just to clarify.

This whole us/we business is that I am a member of Fremantle Football Club and therefore can lay claim (rightly or wrong) to be a part of it. That's as far as my connection with the FFC goes, but seeing as it's the off-season, I don't think it goes without saying that we all like to discuss the possibilities of cetrain aspects of our draft strategies.

Blake would be a nice fit for us. Considering the price he will be nominating himself for. One year contract at minimum wage. very enticing if you ask me. A lot more than pick 71 would pan out to be in a weak draft. It wouldn't just be Freo interested. Hawthorn would jump at the chance to bolster their defensive stocks, same with GWS/GC. With the price he has set himself he is going to be walking a VERY fine line if you ask me.

I don't see what would be un-ethical about another team taking him. The only reason you are in this situation is bad contract management. The fact that a veteran has to be de-listed and picked up again just so you can fall under the salary cap should surely raise the eyebrows a little bit?

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if another team (including Freo) picked him up in the draft. This is a 100% salary cap issue and as such is your problem, therefore there is no 'gentleman's agreement' not to take him.

I disagree.

Similar to when Gehrig came out of retirement. We re-drafted him with Pick 56 from memory.
The only thing similar with these two scenarios is that they were both St Kilda players who you pick up in the draft. Blake hasn't retired and gone and lived in Sweden for half a year, he has been de-listed because of salary cap issues. which had there not been them he would still be on the list.

I hear GWS will pick up Dawson ?

Zac was never going to stay the moment Pelchan walked through the door. It's a two for one deal with any of these players who have re-signed, Zac is on $350 plus for 3 years, we re-sign two players plus Blake for 2 years for the same dough, very well managed IMO.
Polo is a good ordinary player, anyone who bags him I ask this question, do we have anyone at the club who can play his role better than he does? Not to mention the draft running out of steam after pick 45.

This, and your post on the next page, make a lot of sense to me. :thumbsu:

That's a possibility, and if that does happen, we will get Blake straight away.

Why would you pick up Blake for 1 year? You already have an ageing FB with one year left.

Yep, that makes sense to me. Then again, ignoring kids for old hacks is the Lyon way as you will soon discover.

I can understand your excitement and the fact that Lyon has inspired some hope in that rabble of a club.

Do you think you need Blake as a top up so you can win the flag next year?

Fairdinkum, talk about premature excelebration. Too funny.

Sorry but it's Zac or bust for you people.

Hopefully you have learnt from the Andrew McCloud episode.

I see why Lyin went to Freo - the coach, supporters and club have the same standard of ethics: the standard of gutter rats.

I dont see why you are getting upset with us because of your own teams gross mismanagement. Your managers didnt sure up Lyon when there were a series of teams looking for a good coach. So he went to the best offer. Exactly what a career coach would do.

As for your salary cap issues, I fail to see what that has to do with Freo. Having to make a long standing player be delisted because you cannot afford to keep him on the Veterans List and need to put another player who is WAY overpaid there is mismanagement. I do not think any other club will pick him up, but the only reason that he has been delisted with the hope of picking him up again is the teams own fault. Personally, I would be upset with the club who made me do this because they cant balance the books. All the other teams have the right to pick him. Do not be surprised if Sheedy at GWS decides to take him because he needs more mature bodies in his team. That will be nobodies fault but the Saints management.

I do have to wonder though, why would you let your full back leave when you keep a series of average players like Clarke, Polo ( I actually rate Ray as a player) and Peake who are unable to play a key position. It certainly does leave you a little short in the backline.

So who are the Saints going to have as Full Back now?

Interesting time for the Saints. You have a very good young coach but an aging team with a lack of talented youngsters coming through. I do hope that Hayes comes back well in 2012. He is a champion. Will make for a very interesting year, best of luck.

That's a possibility, and if that does happen, we will get Blake straight away.

And knowing how much Jason loves StKilda & the whole South Eastern suburbs area of Melbourne, he will no doubt retire if he were to be picked up by another club.... You may use the draft pick to get him, but why waste it?

Jason would rather be a fulltime VFL player at Sandy or Casey than play for another club (let alone an interstate one!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints Re-Sign 5 players, Zac gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back