Saints v Pies: The Aftermath

Remove this Banner Ad

Lack of pressure hurt - probably expected for such a young & inexperienced 22 on the whole.

Adam Schneider thanks for your service - have a seat next to me and I will buy you a beer at our next game in melbourne.

Paddy - chin up young fella - it's all onward and upward from here!

Plenty more I could say but with a sad 6yo, grumpy 4yo and hungry 2 week old I'm tired.

Let's hit the Blues

• Armo And Bruce were pretty good
  • Sinclair looks clean and has time to do the right thing
  • Fisher was Fisher
  • Savage dropped as the game went on
  • McCartin is still a work in progress but there are positive signs
  • Membery looks like a good pickup
  • Longer was aggressive and good'
  • Fitness in the last quarter still an issue

2 x six day breaks didn't help for sure.
Warp speed went into reverse this week.
Some good signs early but nowhere near the pressure of last week.
Inconsistency is to be expected.

Likely we'd have done better if we had 5 or 6 changes for fresh legs.

Onwards and upwards.

Im not a totally one eyed mega biased supporter.
Collingwood absolutely deserved to win. ( in fact i picked them)
But that free kick against Jack Steven in the fwd pocket for contact below the knees was 100% F***ING DISGRACEFUL BULLSH*T

Bagged an absolute gem in Sinclair, that game awareness is already close to A grade. Just needs some more preseasons to get a massive tank - the Sam Mitchell comparisons were bang on IMO. What a ripping steal as Pick 1 of the RD.

McCartin. Absolutely no doom and gloom here. Looks like he has all the physical tools (I.e. elite agility) to become a unique FF that will be hard to stop. His recovery - the spin on the 50m arc after dropping the mark, and the one on the half back flank before nailing someone on the chest, so good. COuldn't expect too much in this game from him, given conditions, and the fact that Jack Frost has about 5kgs on him, and is the Prestigiacomo style dour FB, hard to get any sort of separation. Will be a gun in the future.

Longer, clumsy, but gee whiz there's so much to like about this kid. The grunt, the fire to just bash and crash, it's a trait that I think Hickey lacks at this stage, and Longer has certainly closed the gap in terms of tap work. I can definitely see him as our number 1 ruck at present time.

Roberton looks solid as a midfielder, needs to be a bit harder at the man.

In games like tonight against opposition with monster forwards, Delaney gets shown up for the very average backmen he is. Got absolutely molested by Cloke. But he is the best we've got, unfortunately. Hard to come by good backs.

• Longer very good in the centre. Pies got a bit of help around the ground and Grundy much better on the spread but Billy gave us heaps from the middle.
  • Sinclair, another solid game. He'll prove to be a really good pick up, well done Trout and co.
  • Dunstan just a great contributor once again. Almost guaranteed that he'll be part of our next shot at a flag. 22 touches, 5 marks, very tough.
  • Armitage really stepped up as skipper. Steven amassed it, but really lacking composure. Really needed to kick that set shot, that was one of the turning points of the game.
  • Not the day for Paddy to debut, not a great look that his mum missed his jumper presentation. Thankfully looks like it'll be the start of great things for the Saints, great follow up efforts and once again continues to get into the right areas.
  • Billings quiet 18, but again did a couple of things here and there that just showed his potential. Will be special. Would have liked to have seen him down back in the 2nd half, we really needed some quality ball use, more than just Schneids pushing back.
  • Roberton! Great game, think his kicking is slightly underrated, he doesn't butcher the ball as much as many in our side.
  • When we start to push up the ladder, think Savage will be a huge part of it. Would have been in the hundreds for metres gained again today, very valuable receiver.
  • Newnes running very important to us, but needs to improve his consistency by foot. Can pull off the extreme kicks, but some of these 20m misses aren't good enough.
  • Nathan Wright is a wrecking ball, just needs to do a Nat Fyfe and clean up his kicking. Make it middle of the road, bang on average and he'll be a player. Will take the endeavour though.
Either way, very pleased with that first quarter. We are building something very special, effort isn't lacking, skills + ability to run out games will come in time :)

That feeling from the end of Q2 last week and the end of Q1 this week: hold on to it. There's a luridly bright light at the end of this more often than not dark tunnel, and we're beginning to see the first little cracks of it. A Newnes tackle, a Dunstan clearance, heck, a McCartin mark! This is the second chapter of what will hopefully be a remarkable story.

I wouldn't be too disappointed about tonight. We were always going to have a few of those games this year. A combination of a young side, back to back 6 day breaks, Riewoldt out, unhelpful umpiring was a bit of a perfect storm.

McCartin selection in retrospect obviously a mistake, especially in the wet. He won't be ready for another couple of seasons. I just hope Roo can stick around long enough that we have a smooth transition.

Wasn't a surprised to be honest.

I thought the 6 day break and having to travel back after playing in the GC conditions would hurt us. Also Riewoldt out and we know how much of a better side he makes us. (Obviously have to learn to play without him though)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly thought we might be a chance to pinch this one, so disappointed with the end result.

Happy for the lad, but question the selection of Paddy tonight. Leave him at Sandy for half a season please.

Would like to see Goddard in asap.

Sav copped a serious hip from Cloke so i reckon was lucky to play out the match.

Reality is that with the new recruits of Sinclair, Lonie and Paddy... we went in with 19 men.

• I'm done with Schneider. He just isn't up to it anymore, I have no clue why we keep picking him. We say we need experience but kicking into the corridor directly to an opposition player is the mistake of a newbie, not a veteran. Get him out, please. Minchington is the ideal replacement. What more does the kid have to do?
  • I'm also done with Shenton. He didn't have a bad game, and he was pretty good last week, but clearly he's just never going to develop very much. We really need to stop carrying players like him. I imagine Webster comes back through the VFL, but when he comes back Shenton needs to go
  • Not enough credit for Roberton in my eyes. He played a fantastic game in a lot of ways. We know he can defend and the idea of being able to rotate him on to HBF or the wing along with the likes of Savage and Webster will be fantastic.
  • Billings slugged it out, and we all know he's going to be a player, but I wish we could see more of his ability. He just hasn't found his feet yet.
  • Sinclair was brilliant in the first. What a rookie pick! He has the ability to be a major part of our midfield going forward.
  • Fisher, Dempster, and Delaney deserve credit for doing what they did under the conditions they faced. I love the combination of Delaney being the stopper, Dempster taking intercept marks and Fisher having good ball use out of the back line.
  • Armitage seemed to be nervous, his game wasn't as good as last week. He has shown he is going to get near thirty disposals and kick a couple goals even in extremely trying positions, though. He has kicked some beauties the last two weeks.
  • Newnes is juuuuust about there to really start taking ownership. I'm hoping he gains a bit more confidence because he has the ability.
  • Bruce still looks dangerous. He would have kicked a few in better conditions.
  • Saad needs a spell I reckon. He tries hard and does a few good things and I like his speed but he needs to find some form.
  • Membrey looked good. Loved his kick for goal and took some good grabs. Just need to get some games into him, really.
  • Savage is extremely important to us, now. He doesn't get nearly enough credit for how far he has come. He can be really influential.

That's all I can think of right now. Truly one of the must frustrating games I've ever watched. 77 i50 for Collingwood was a recipe for me pulling my hair out.

Last edited:
Liked the games of
Armo, Roberton, Schnieder, Sinclair (pieces), Savage (until injured)

Steven, newnes, Shenton tried hard... Poor execution

Longer... Had a crack, long way to go yet.. He's clumsy still.

Wright - tick

Geary, Delaney, Dempster
Battlers.. Well beaten

Pro's
  • Its official my man Dylan Roberton is back to his 2013 form and may even be looking better
  • Another good game from Sinclair faded away in the second half but so did everyone else
  • Longer showed plenty of promise and some of his taps were sublime
  • Armo another good game
  • i thought Membrey was really good and hard at it all night apart from that turnover, I believe he'll be a good player for us over a long period of time, just remember that was only his 4th AFL game
  • Paddy was clearly nervous and got better as the game went on, showed some good signs
  • Thought Shenton battled hard all night, was pleasantly suprised
Cons
  • Newnes had a stinker, disposal was horrid all night one to forget from him
  • JB was average, couldn't stick a tackle, not sure if he's a wet weather footballer, couldn't keep his feet
  • Sean Dempster looked real slow and lacked awareness been a good player for us but he's definitely on the decline still in our 22 though
  • Saad didn't get enough of it

In games like tonight against opposition with monster forwards, Delaney gets shown up for the very average backmen he is. Got absolutely molested by Cloke. But he is the best we've got, unfortunately. Hard to come by good backs.

I'm sorry, what? Were we watching the same game? Cloke didn't get his goals from beating Delaney and he has given a bath to Hawkins and Pav before, two much better forwards than Cloke.

I'm just genuinely not sure how you have arrived to that opinion.

Liked the games of
Armo, Roberton, Schnieder, Sinclair (pieces), Savage (until injured)

Steven, newnes, Shenton tried hard... Poor execution

Longer... Had a crack, long way to go yet.. He's clumsy still.

Wright - tick

Geary, Delaney, Dempster
Battlers.. Well beaten

What?! The king of unnecessary pessimism thinks a player that didn't impact the game whatsoever had a good one?

And you think Delaney and Dempster were well beaten? Seriously? Their goals came from midfielders, and opportunistic Cloke.

Good lesson for all. Intensity drops a little and how easily that can happen.

Bruce didn't get much of it but he worked hard all night. Steven was tireless, Armo and Weller kept going but they needed help once they got on top.

At one point it was sinclair billings and Dunstan against Pendlebury swan and another. It's a gulf in class at this point but there's positives.

Wtf was the free kick for against Wright when he simply bumped the bloke? Leigh fisher holding grudges?

That's why its imperative we get game into Goddard. We're pretty small defensively, doesn't anyone else see that??

• When we start to push up the ladder, think Savage will be a huge part of it. Would have been in the hundreds for metres gained again today, very valuable receiver
Think you can definitely see that from the first quarter. When we were on top of the clearances he was quite lethal tearing through the middle and getting it inside 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints v Pies: The Aftermath

Remove this Banner Ad

Back