Saints v Pies: The Aftermath

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude. Just wanted to say that your side was breathtaking in the 1st.

Good luck for the rest of the year. Backing youth is the way to go, I think your future is bright.

Only saw the fourth quarter, and (unfortunately) we ran out of legs as I predicted. Steven and Armo really were trying and played well. But apart from that the Pies simply outran us.

Paddy, dropped quiet a few marks, it was his first game so one can assume he was nervous but I really like his follow up work when he didn't take them, he put in 100% to try reclaim the ball and do something with it. His kicking was quiet poor (once again not sure if it was nerves/moisture) but I'm sure he'll get much better int he future, he showed some class and I think it's hard to expect a first gamer, first round draft pick to come out firing.

Think we could have a couple changes, maybe 2-3, but would want to keep roughly the same side, we'll have 8 days to prepare so that should help us freshen up. Anyone know which youngsters had a solid game in the first 3 quarters?

Oh, Luke

Those little handballs are called clearances/contested ball

It's what the coaches rate higher than anything else... Much more than who kicks a goal?

Kicking goals is when it comes down to it, is just a possession. Creating a goal is a key possesion?

Steven played very well....

He got a lot of footy, as his opponents did... He butchered it occasionally but as usual worked his but off...

He could be so much better, if he balanced before disposal

It's what the coaches rate higher than anything else... Much more than who kicks a goal?

Kicking goals is when it comes down to it, is just a possession. Creating a goal is a key possesion?
Creating a goal is a key possession but Goals need to be kicked and goals win games.

Goals are the currency of football.

Kicking the goal is just a kick, is it not?

It happens to be the last in a chain of possesion, it's no more or less important than all the touches that led to it... Because if they didn't happen... No kick for goal would even happen.

How and why a goal is kicked is far more important than who kicked it

Felt like PM was naturally good below his knees, and whilst he was pretty poor by hand and foot he has the size to compete on a superficial level. A year in the VFL adjusting to the pace and a pre-season shadowing Riewoldt will give you a huge player in time.

What worries me is the loss of structure. We had several on-field leaders out there doing their best but not enough directing traffic. Collingwood were very canny with their match ups - swapping around in the centre bounce, using interchange bringing players off then moving them back on to better match ups. Armo played well but kept saying inane things like "good boy" rather than directing them to the next contest. Schneider did well at times distributing the ball but is not good at structures, Steven did very well both offensively and defensively and did some directing and Roberton didn't look out of place there. But we need a Lenny to direct traffic, to get the boys back on track - and give us enough structure so that the coaches box can work to counter the moves of the opponent. We fell to pieces too easily - so we'll work on that. Jack Sinclair is a ripper but only has a tiny tank at this stage of his career - needs to play full matches either for us or for Sandringham - not green vest - which will not expand his fitness

Snake

That's a lie

I posted heavily on both threads when I got back from the pub and even posted during the game

Go back for a read, then if you want clear up your inaccurate comment

Really have to take it for what it was after Q1, a thrashing.
We can't reward mediocrity, we need to find out who can play. If that means six or seven changes after a flogging well so be it.
It's a rebuild, and you need to play with the recipe.
That's ok.

Oh, Luke

Those little handballs are called clearances/contested ball

They aren't called clearances because they weren't from a stoppage. They were in a chain of nothing disposals. Contesting a ball and doing nothing with it is as valuable as not ever contesting it in the first place.

Seriously, now. What is it with the questions? I genuinely don't understand why you think all your sentences are questions. They rate contested ball in combination with effort. When I watched Scneider be clear of any opposition player and kick the ball along the ground last year I knew his effort was shot. I never said goals were the most important, you are misrepresenting my post.

Kildonian

Are you suggesting the 1 minute of edited commentary on 7 was a true indication of how much directing he did?

In that grab

He even delivered about 6 instructions.
And he has to get a kick and worry about his opponent too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Dunstan and Roberton.
Dempster had an unusually fumbly kind of night.
Good efforts from Paddy and Longer.
I agree with most here about how under rated and important Savage is/will be.
Umpiring was maybe the worst I've seen.
Pendlebury ducking his head every time and every time getting rewarded got old quick.
Cloke shanking half his kicks as usual but making the most of Saints errors.
I will say the future is indeed bright and bring on the Blues

My casual obs

They put a lot of time into Fred tonight, he second guessed himself after awhile. Into him off the ball. His run already so important. What was with the slap Varcoe gave him?

I wanted Wright in, tackling alone was needed. Once they got on top in the middle we needed his run, chase and tackle.

Bruce struggled without Roo, which is fair. On Roo, that lead option on the wings was sorely missed. On Roo again, if he s injured I'm gonna be ropeable. Niggle in his calf, miss the week....why risk trying tonight?

Chips was so mad a soft free Leigh Fisher paid, told him about it too. Reckon he said, you owed me, I got stuck with the nickname Chips and you got Fish.

Newnes, great first quarter, then unfortunately had a milestone to forget.

Stickers had sticky hands tonight.

Wow, maxwell irritated me pregame with his mentioning 2010 memories. Wanted to punch away his obnoxiousness.

Luke

If he was poor ... Not sure how he finished the 4th most effective player on the ground?

You must be right...A shocking night...

I'm wrong, he had a shocking 28pos 7 tackle game???????????????

Don't worry about my grammar, worry about your argument...

Really have to take it for what it was after Q1, a thrashing.
We can't reward mediocrity, we need to find out who can play. If that means six or seven changes after a flogging well so be it.
It's a rebuild, and you need to play with the recipe.
That's ok.

Thought the coaching lacked imagination.

Just my opinion.

Our coaches set structure. And train it... And reset it at breaks. They have 4hrs of meetings to discuss it...

Let's not forget... Players have to get a kick ... Armo cannot be expected to play his role and have to continually have to direct every other player.

I'm guessing, most of the time he's too buggered to be able to coach on field

Snake

That's a lie

I posted heavily on both threads when I got back from the pub and even posted during the game

Go back for a read, then if you want clear up your inaccurate comment
Not a lie just an observation.
The 'RANTS' thread was pretty empty this week so automatically thought you were quiet.:D

Like you said to me , "you wouldnt have it any other way. Every soap needs a villian"
Lighten up Mate :p

Luke

If he was poor ... Not sure how he finished the 4th most effective player on the ground?

You must be right...A shocking night...

I'm wrong, he had a shocking 28pos 7 tackle game???????????????

Don't worry about my grammar, worry about your argument...

I didn't particularly like adams game either.

Look away handball to Savage summed it up, a hospital hand pass too.

Gathered a lot of footy.

I felt he had still a meh night somehow.

Welcome back to Earth St Kilda fans. I had a feeling people were getting a bit too ahead of themselves after the GC win.

I'll start with the good:
Q1: In coming years when we can do that for 4 quarters we will be knocking off everyone.
McCartin: While he did bugger all he looks to know what he's doing. Helped set up a few goals as a result of leads.
Savage: We would be up that particular creek without a means of movement. if he's out.

The bad:
Shenton: Stuffed up way too much. Prime example at full back deciding to fist the ball and having a fresh air shot instead of marking the bloody thing. He had a paddock around him. I'm not going to deny his effort but tonight it was just poor from him.
Longer: A few kicks from the centre circle/square. Every bloody one a long bomb inside 50. it was just dumb decicion making.
The decision making in general was piss poor.

Bruce and Membrey good again with limited opportunities.

Paddy was fine, obviously nervous but showed enough. You're not going to dominate a match as a first game key forward.

Roberton back to some really good form.

Disappointing to see the path that Pendlebury is going down. Should be ashamed of himself but can you really blame him when the AFL reward it.

Off the top of my head can't think of a worse kick for goal during my time watching footy than Cloke. Never seen a player miss so many shots from 10m out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints v Pies: The Aftermath

Remove this Banner Ad

Back