Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Over the last eleven games (since the Sydney loss) we are nine wins and two losses.

Points for total - 997
Points against total - 791

Points per game - 90.63
Points against per game - 71.91

Percentage - 126.03

Only one poor performance in that entire period, which can be forgiven given how young the team is.

Over that same period the form ladder reads:

Brisbane - 9W - 1D - 1L - 134.75%
Hawks - 9W - 2L - 126.03%
Sydney - 8W - 3L - 139.21%
Freo - 7W - 1D - 3L - 118.82%
Doggies - 7W - 4L - 119.67%
Blues - 7W - 4L - 116.04%

Brisbane for - 1,167 at 106.09
Brisbane against - 866 at 78.73

Sydney for - 1,122 at 102.00
Sydney against - 806 at 73.27

Freo for - 991 at 90.09
Freo against - 834 at 75.82

Doggies for - 1,028 at 93.45
Doggies against - 859 at 78.09

Blues for - 1,092 at 99.27
Blues against - 941 at 85.55

Just want to point out that the poor game loss to Geelong was without Sicily, Dear and Ginnivan

There is so much to like about the team I don't know where to start

Coach of the Year is a Coaches Association Award not a media voted award.

I would think Mitchell's peers would well appreciate the turnaround he has achieved with what he has had to work with and how far back he has come from.

I can see them voting only for him.

Last edited:
Just want to point out that the poor game loss to Geelong was without Sicily, Dear and Ginnivan

There is so much to like about the team I don't know where to start
Of course pretty much every team has to deal with injuries, often to very important players, throughout the year.

It’s how they adjust to the loss of their personnel which matters most - unless the injury list is massive like Richmond and Carlton.

Sydney have just started to get some significant ones too. Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

At the moment, our list is healthier than most. 🤞

Coach of the Year is a Coaches Association Award not a media voted award.

I would think Mitchell's peers would well appreciate the turnaround he has achieved with what he has had to work with and how far back he has come from.

I can see them voting for him.
Tipped to finish bottom 2-3
Started year 0-5
On track for top 4 finish.

Come on…

I dunno if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Hoyne said that we've won more frees inside F50 than the next best side by some distance.

I think we've had 23 whilst Geelong have had 2.🤣

From memory Wiz, Ginni, Moore, Croc and Moore take up 5 of the top 6 individual places.

I hope this doesn't lead to any kind of reaction. I put it here because there was conjecture that they're being well coached in this regard.

I dunno if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Hoyne said that we've won more frees inside F50 than the next best side by some distance.

From memory Wiz, Ginni, Moore, Croc and Moore take up 5 of the top 6 individual places.

I hope this doesn't lead to any kind of reaction. I put it here because there was conjecture that they're being well coached in this regard.

Do hawks lock it in there more than most? Frees can be for htb too

Wasn’t he talking about just high tackle frees in forward 50 not total frees? Geelong would have gotten more than two forward frees just in the game against us this year let alone the whole season.

I LOVE how, in almost every interview you see with him, he says stuff like: "we're a work in progress, we're progressing well, but we're still not quite at the level of the best teams," etc etc.

This is exactly what it needs, no resting on our laurels just because we've had a decent patch of form and some good wins, constant improvement and driving of standards.

That's what wins flags....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I LOVE how, in almost every interview you see with him, he says stuff like: "we're a work in progress, we're progressing well, but we're still not quite at the level of the best teams," etc etc.

This is exactly what it needs, no resting on our laurels just because we've had a decent patch of form and some good wins, constant improvement and driving of standards.

That's what wins flags....

It was probably 3 times he said something to the effect of 'calm down, we are playing well but we are still 11th'

I love that reality check that we need to keep working hard and improving each and every session

Thank you very much for sharing.

The importance of having previous successes and failures really shines through in Sam’s measured speeches. He’s been on bigger stretches of wins than this and he’s had bigger failures after big stretches too.

For comparison purposes, you would think it’s a fairly basic thing to not get too carried away with how well we’re going as head coach (in 11th), but I would expect this week’s opposition coach, Nicks, to be drinking his own bathwater if he was given the same questions that Sam received on the panel.

I feel so fortunate to watch Mitchell as a player and now as a coach at Hawthorn.

Adrian Hickmott Podcast - Talking Hawks

there is no chemistry and so it feels forced
They got 2 legendary footballers and Selwood and none have any personality! It’s the first time I’ve watched just for the Mitchell section and I couldn’t see myself doing it again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back