VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

are we playing Tommy Walsh in the backline because we are grooming him as a possible full backman, or because Sautner is the Zebs' FF??

No question the club had/has designs on him roaming the forward line, but to be honest he's been much more consistent down back. Was very very good today, and smashed the ball over the line in contests a number of times and kicked well to leading players. The hit on Ladson was massive (and punched the ball away at the same time).

Sautner is the "elephant in the room" - a big issue that everyone should be able to see (but no-one wants to talk about).

No question the club had/has designs on him roaming the forward line, but to be honest he's been much more consistent down back. Was very very good today, and smashed the ball over the line in contests a number of times and kicked well to leading players. The hit on Ladson was massive (and punched the ball away at the same time).

Sautner is the "elephant in the room" - a big issue that everyone should be able to see (but no-one wants to talk about.

ah... though you gotta feel sorry for Sautner, he's been a stalwart for the Zebs for so long, and kicked a plunder of goals, yet never got his chance at AFL level

2010 VFL Seniors

Sandringham 3.3 3.4 4.11 6.14 (50)
Box Hill Hawks 0.5 4.10 5.12 9.15 (69)

GOALS:: Sautner 2 Cahill Tregear Gallagher Johnson

BEST: Simpkin Gallagher Armitage Lynch Howard Hardiman

Think they are playing funny buggers with the best players again, but Gallagher and Howard were very good today.

Heard today that the Saints were certainly flu-ridden this week and flat as a tack all week on the track. The boys gave it a crack today but when Rhys went to the wrong end after half time it showed that they weren't 100%. The rotations were badly managed, with guys running 80m to change over (whilst Box Hill made changes when the ball was in the vicinity of the bench).

We also went with the fiddly sideways passes instead of kicking long to a player' advantage, and kept trying to pick up what was a cake of soap instead of kicking it off the ground. Poor strategies in such miserable conditions.

If you can picture constant rain, a goal-line of Sautner, Cahill, Stanley and Archer was kinda strange (and not at all effective). I can see why they left a couple of taller guys out (in Fiery and Wool), although I wonder if they dropped the right ones.

King - OK in the ruck and worked hard, but not much in terms of disposals.

Macca - pretty good. One of our best for sure.

Armo - not in our best after a quiet first half, but was very good in the third quarter and up until he got injured. A real bummer to see him go off.

Heyney - not sure he likes the wet too much. Capable of so much more than that.

Rhys - no impact.

Lynch - got the ball OK but the worst I've ever seen him kick the ball. A shame as Ross had said he'd been "smashing on the door" to be selected for the Saints.

Willy J - much better. He's a thumping kick and stuck with his opponent today.

PC - very surprised they went with him in the seniors today.

Alias - Ladson slipped away a few times until Drago knocked him into next week. Hard to say whether it was also close checking from Ali.

Tommy S - a standard hard at it game. Kicked the ball well despite the conditions.

Darch - struggled, but gives the impression that (with time) he'll be a good player. Hard to explain - just a vibe at this stage. You can tell he looks up to Roo (tried a couple of those courageous running backwards leaping chest mark thingys). Again, I wouldn't have played him in the seniors today. Box Hill always seemed to have more run in their legs and the ball was very difficult to mark overhead.

Comments could be harsh on guys who have the flu (apologies to them, although once you're picked ..........).

What injury did armo get?

The whisper at the ground was "same knee" but always difficult to tell how serious it would be.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...uls-season-20100718-10g6u.html?skin=text-only

Armitage, who was one of the Zebras' better players, had his day ended by a knee injury. However, Saints development coach Andy Lovell believed it was not serious.

"There was a blow to the knee so they're not quite sure how bad it was, but they'll assess him. I don't think it's major," Lovell said.

Ruckman Ben McEvoy was taken off for precautionary reasons with a slight knee strain.

Lovell said ruckman Steven King battled hard. "He's just doing what he needs to do to stay fit to be ready when he's needed (at St Kilda)."

Stats:

Armo - 18 poss (13 contested), 8 tackles

Macca - 13 poss (11 contested incl. 3 contested marks), 4 tackles, 26 hit-outs

Lynch - 23 poss (9 contested), 3 tackles

Tommy S - 14 poss (7 contested), 6 tackles

Alias - 14 poss (10 contested), 7 tackles

The rest got a little ugly (only 34 inside 50s!), although Drago was good and Willy J was OK.

In the ressies, Fiery had 21 poss & 10 tackles and Wool had 20 poss, 5 tackles & 22 hitouts.

Hope Armo is ok. Also hope the club resigns him asap.

Should be playing for the Saints, not Sandringham.

Compared to Dempster, Eddy, McQualter... I mean, how many chance's has Kosi had....not happy.

Armo is a genuine gun, goes in hard, always kicks a few goals too. I'd love to see him vs Selwood 1 on 1 in a contest.

Let us pray for some luck that he's alright.

Unfortunately on my meagre BigFooty budget, I won't be flying Plummet Airways to attend the game against the Gold Coast.

So which one of our northern colleagues are going to lob in and provide a report on the game in lovely sunny weather (as contrasted to the crap I've been trying to see through)?

Rd 14 Sat 24/7 vs Gold Coast at Labrador 2pm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be a good opportunity for Brad Howard though.

No doubt. Been thinking whether we could look at him again for the post-Baker era. Alias seems to be doing quite well, but I've changed my tune on Howie who now gets his own ball as well as keeping his opponent quiet.

If he has a slashing game against GC, they'd be crazy not to look at him as a former Qld lad.

Unfortunately on my meagre BigFooty budget, I won't be flying Plummet Airways to attend the game against the Gold Coast.

So which one of our northern colleagues are going to lob in and provide a report on the game in lovely sunny weather (as contrasted to the crap I've been trying to see through)?

Rd 14 Sat 24/7 vs Gold Coast at Labrador 2pm

I'm flying up tomorrow on the ever popular Tiger Airlines....I'll try and send some reports from the game...depends on any duties I get at Labrador...

Then coming back on Saturday night and off to to Victoria park on Sunday morning for Sandy reserves V Casey Scorpions...

It's a big weekend for football

Not a bad effort with the breeze in the last (6.3 to 1.2), although we paid the price for allowing them to score into the wind in the 2nd :

Gold Coast 4.6 10.10 13.13 14.15 (99)
Sandringham 1.0 4.1 5.4 11.7 (73)

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back