VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to hear that "still learning" Walsh has been named among the best two weeks in a row.

If it takes him a couple of months to be among the best in a VFL team, how long until he is slightly above average on an AFL team.

His size, pace and ability to kick long means that Drago stands out at VFL level. Body positioning and reaction to his man is improving, along with disposal decisions, and his marking is pretty reliable. Hard to explain, but all those other little things are where the learnings are - like when to run off your man, when to shepherd, kicking on the left side, knowing when someone is running you down - but to tell you the truth, I've been surprised with the rate of his development.

The other thing to consider is that Wool is getting the best forwards, although noting that they are not playing Drago in defence to develop him into a backman.

His size, pace and ability to kick long means that Drago stands out at VFL level. Body positioning and reaction to his man is improving, along with disposal decisions, and his marking is pretty reliable. Hard to explain, but all those other little things are where the learnings are - like when to run off your man, when to shepherd, kicking on the left side, knowing when someone is running you down - but to tell you the truth, I've been surprised with the rate of his development.

The other thing to consider is that Wool is getting the best forwards, although noting that they are not playing Drago in defence to develop him into a backman.

What's his tackling like Squizz? Does he take blokes on or always look to give it off quickly?

What's his tackling like Squizz? Does he take blokes on or always look to give it off quickly?

Technique isn't great (probably understandable given the game he has come from) but because he is quick and strong his tackling is effective at VFL level. If we are looking for Saints Footy at an AFL standard we will need to be patient.

Has started to test the boundaries with a bit of run, but I've yet to see him bounce the ball and he did get tackled from behind a couple of times when he was almost clear (although his decisions to take the man on were probably correct and he almost got away). He'll need to learn some tricks on shaking or breaking a tackle from his mate Gilbo.

I was very pleased to see the depth of his kicking with a couple of 55m drop punts and a pressured snap kick on the left that wasn't too bad (didn't have a near airy like Zac on Friday! Sorry Zac, but I had to laugh). Took a nice contested mark 20m out from goal through better judgement of the ball flight and good hands.

From Zebmail:

Sandringham’s poor kicking kept Coburg in the match but with Captain Nick Sautner back in the side the forward line always looked dangerous, Sautner finished with 4 contested marks and 4 goals to be Sandringham’s focal point down forward while Adam Pattison chimed in with 2, Bruno, Magner, Stanley and Archer all kicked one each.

Although not the most attractive game you always knew Sandringham had come to play as they amassed a season high 93 tackles and an incredible 170 contested possessions. Brad Howard led the possessions racking up a lazy 26 touches and laying 7 tackles, James Magner was again solid and has shown how important a pick up he has been, Magner had 24 touches with 9 crucial ones in the last quarter, while David ‘gags’ Gallagher amassed 17 touches with 13 of those contested, St.Kilda import Rob Eddy was also impressive with 28 touches (17 in the first half).

Thanks for all the reports, Squizz.

Just a perspective check for us all - how flipping awesome is all this BF stuff? I mean, we would NEVER have got this kind of coverage of a 2nds game in the past, even 5ish years ago. I feel so more tied into the ins-and-outs of the players with all this now. In previous years, we would have barely known the names of some of these players, and now we get to follow their development.

Flipping awesome.

How can we make Zebmail better?​
Have you got an idea about how we can make Zebmail better? Send your idea’s
through to​
sandyfc@bigpond.net.au, more player interviews? More info about about sponsors? Whatever you think, here is your chance to shape your Zebmail!!!

Great work By the Zebra's- twice weekly emails if your register and they are increasing the output

also on their homepage have new video reports. Seniors and Reserves.

to me supporting Sandringham has come as an extension of supporting the Saints- and gives an insight into who else is part of the team...... making connections stronger for both Teams/ clubs

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?sportid=4&client=1-118-10447-0-0

Hey guys - I'm a tigers/coburg supporter - do a lot of junior footy watching, and having moved from Tas - it's extended to VFL.

I'm not going to bore you by posting a novel so I'll just post some bried thoughts - let me know if you want some more analysis.

Rob Eddy was clean in the middle. He's a little bit one paced at times, was helped that Coburg only had grunt in the middle - and only Matt White who doesn't constitute as a plodder through the middle.

Heyne was down throughout the first half - the boys get really excited when he gets near it, and he showed his potential again - but you'd love him to put it all together. When he does, look out, he's exquisitely skilled.

Stanley is athletic and struggled when Gourdis got the task on him. Goo's developed into a top class spoiler and didn't give Stanley any room. They responded by playing him out of defence and as a ruck - none of which he did more than provide flashes of what he can become.

Will Johnson/Steve Gaertner will become good defenders. Gaerts in particular. I was really impressed during PS, and again today.

Patto is doing alright, but he's not showing much more than he did at Richmond. Skills tend to let him down at clutch stages.

Tom Lynch was probably the least prominent of all STK listed boys. He got pushed up as almost another midfielder with the really tall forward structure you were using - Sautner playing as 3rd/4th tall. Lynch wasn't really suited to the lack of space and scrappy nature of the contest, and delievery really didn't help him or any of the big boys.

McEvoy started imposing himself on the game in the last half. Graham and him went 50/50 for hitouts early, before Macca rose above. Doesn't stop running. His pace is still the query. Delievery and the tall forward line didn't allow him to do much forward of centre.

Archer - Well built. Defensive pressure a highlight - really encouraging to see him get on his bike and chase out of defence. Kicked a really nice goal in the 3rd, but received limited game time.

Peake - Played very outside, and didn't receive the link play he's treated to in the seniors. Runs towards the boundary always - use your pace through the middle and take the game on. Went missing when the heat was on.

Let me know if you want any other thoughts - if not - cheers.

Tigs.

Hey guys - I'm a tigers/coburg supporter - do a lot of junior footy watching, and having moved from Tas - it's extended to VFL.

Let me know if you want any other thoughts - if not - cheers.

Tigs.

Thanks , much appreciated.
Interesting to hear that analysis of Stanley and McEvoy's games.
What did you think of our Irish Lad.

Some stats of interest from the game (a number of strong performances):

Peake - 22 possessions, 7 tackles

Heyne - 21 poss. (10 contested), 9 tackles

Walsh - 17 poss., 11 marks

Ali Smith - 21 poss. (10 contested)

Rob Eddy - 5 tackles to go with his 28 poss.

Hutchings - 19 poss. (10 contested), 6 tackles

Wool - 18 poss. (9 contested)

Lynch - 19 poss. (13 contested), 6 marks

Macca - 13 poss., 8 tackles, 10 hitouts

Somebody took some shots of the game.

Our man Heyney:

4574084916_149dafd8ea.jpg

4574083806_1b73aa72a4.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What SS said. :thumbsu:

Tommy Walsh reports are always welcomed.

I'm happy to see his stats this week. I remember his intra-club performance and thinking this kid has a mountain to climb but to hear that he's holding his own in the VFL seniors is a real positive. With 17 kicks and 11 marks he's starting to get a bit of it too. You'd think the more he can get his hands on the ball the quicker his disposal and decision making will improve.

BTW thanks for the report Tiger. People like Squizzy, Blues2010 and Zebraman do a great job but it's nice to hear some thoughts on our players from an opposition supporters perspective.

Firstly it is good to see TTiger has moved over from the apple isle. I remember him from the draft and trading board and thought he was one of the most astute and thorough posters on there and welcome him and his thoughts.
Now for my thoughts on Tommy Walsh, I personally don't see any super athlete, just a good one. But what I do see is a guy with a great physique, who apparently never did weights before he came to Aus, that is strong as an oxe and has great hands and quite good disposal when he has time to look around at what is happening around him. He does struggle when put in a position where he has to make quick decisions and sometimes will get tackled whilst standing there waiting for an option.
He has come on in leaps and bounds since the intra club and would be ahead of where expected to be imo.
Hope he does stay as this was always going to take time but I believe he can make it and wish him well and hope he and Saints fans have plenty of patience and he has a long and successful career that I will be able to say I watched develop

Cheers guys - just glad I'm able to see more U/18/VFL stuff without breaking the budget or being reliant on video.

Blues2010 - thanks very much for the compliments - good to see you're still around.

Would love a bit of analysis from you on Hutchings, Gaertner, Smith and Archer/Cahill if you wouldn't mind - I know you see a bit of Sandy and I wouldn't mind some extra views from a guy who watches a bit of U/18's.

Blues has pretty much hit Walsh on the head. Big unit who is a good athlete but not as insane as some make out.

Really quite good hands, and his kicking is alright when he's got time and space. Too much pressure and the motion gets rushed and the resultant disposal is a bit shonky - mind you he's not missing targets by much. I'd liken his kicking to Gourdis' - generally quite a good kick when got time but a bit of pressure and sometimes it goes askew.

Gets found out when the ball gets turned over and pumped into the forward line quick - but he will adapt - he's already learnt so much so quickly.

Like blues said, gets found out a bit when tackling pressure is huge because making instant decisions with the ball isn't drilled into his brain like it is with so many others.

He's come on a long way - and the negatives may well be erased if he keeps progressing in leaps and bounds.

I think we'll see the real athlete when he eventually moved into the role of a forward. Reacting to his opponent as a defender isn't easy for someone who was the gun player in his former sport (where people would effectively tag him).

Early days he looked a couple of steps off the pace, but a couple of weeks ago he was half a step off the opponent (beaten only by good delivery into F50), and this week he was right there pretty much every time. He got caught a couple of times, but that was after leading his opponent to the ball!

Port may be a better test, as he got chopped up in the pre-season against them (will get a good reading on his improvement).

Who the hell decided Sautner would be a good captain?

Probably working off the old theory about these types of players.

I think he's been much more team oriented this year. Didn't lay any tackles on the weekend :)eek:) but he chased with much more purpose than I've seen before and he's certainly vocal.

Some of his contested efforts to bring the ball to ground against multiple opponents were pretty impressive. If his kicking was on (kicked a few points with shots he'd normally nail) he would have bagged 7.

Think previous captains have includes Summers and Liddell who are no longer around. Gallagher was their only other experienced player (and he's crazy ... but in a good way like a hairy Steven Baker).

Out of the 22 players, there were 14 Saints plus Brad Howard.

For all his faults, Sauts was an obvious choice.

Probably working off the old theory about these types of players.

I think he's been much more team oriented this year. Didn't lay any tackles on the weekend :)eek:) but he chased with much more purpose than I've seen before and he's certainly vocal.

Some of his contested efforts to bring the ball to ground against multiple opponents were pretty impressive. If his kicking was on (kicked a few points with shots he'd normally nail) he would have bagged 7.

Think previous captains have includes Summers and Liddell who are no longer around. Gallagher was their only other experienced player (and he's crazy ... but in a good way like a hairy Steven Baker).

Out of the 22 players, there were 14 Saints plus Brad Howard.

For all his faults, Sauts was an obvious choice.

I thought Gallagher would have been the choice but fair enough.

I wonder if the recruitment of Podsiadly has fired up Sautner?

Would love a bit of analysis from you on Hutchings, Gaertner, Smith and Archer/Cahill if you wouldn't mind - I know you see a bit of Sandy and I wouldn't mind some extra views from a guy who watches a bit of U/18's.

Hutchings and Smith are similar types except one left foot one right, both know how to find the footy and use it fairly well. Pretty classy types who keep on going all day(maybe due to the rotations) Not being rushed into AFL scene is very beneficial to their development.

Archer is keeping Cahill out of the team atm and he has good hands and a booming kick. Lost a bit of the puppy fat that he arrived with and will only get better in the system. Was played down back(even played on Rooey in the intraclub after being in Vic for only 6 weeks) at the start, but think he is better up forward

Cahill, kicked something like 180 goals in 50 games before coming over from SA so he is a goalkicker and can take the occasional pack mark. Very hard team to break into for the forwards as Sandy seems to have an abundance.

Gaertner or Wool as he is known at the Saints, I don't feel too comfortable talking about but I will say he is having a good consistent year

I wonder if the recruitment of Podsiadly has fired up Sautner?

Pods (before anyone gets stuck in about me saying his name again, Guide said it first :D, and I notice he kicked another 5 on the weekend - 12 in 4 games :mad:) is a really big dude in comparison (102kg).

Despite the obvious talent, I could not see Sauts being considered again. He gets quite a few possessions by being able to leap early from behind - probably not going to be as effective a tactic against AFL defenders.

But maybe he does think he should get a call too - who knows! If he keeps playing well, Sandy can improve alot. The 93 tackles from the game show that the Saints boys are bringing their game to the VFL rather than just trying to get an easy kick.

Pods (before anyone gets stuck in about me saying his name again, Guide said it first :D, and I notice he kicked another 5 on the weekend - 12 in 4 games :mad:) is a really big dude in comparison (102kg).

Despite the obvious talent, I could not see Sauts being considered again. He gets quite a few possessions by being able to leap early from behind - probably not going to be as effective a tactic against AFL defenders.

But maybe he does think he should get a call too - who knows! If he keeps playing well, Sandy can improve alot. The 93 tackles from the game show that the Saints boys are bringing their game to the VFL rather than just trying to get an easy kick.

Looking forward to the TV game, especially to see Brad Howard who just appears a new man.

Hutchings and Smith are similar types except one left foot one right, both know how to find the footy and use it fairly well. Pretty classy types who keep on going all day(maybe due to the rotations) Not being rushed into AFL scene is very beneficial to their development.

Archer is keeping Cahill out of the team atm and he has good hands and a booming kick. Lost a bit of the puppy fat that he arrived with and will only get better in the system. Was played down back(even played on Rooey in the intraclub after being in Vic for only 6 weeks) at the start, but think he is better up forward

Cahill, kicked something like 180 goals in 50 games before coming over from SA so he is a goalkicker and can take the occasional pack mark. Very hard team to break into for the forwards as Sandy seems to have an abundance.

Gaertner or Wool as he is known at the Saints, I don't feel too comfortable talking about but I will say he is having a good consistent year

Thats just plain annoying.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back