VFL Sandy vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody oath mate.

Hopefully back in the senior squad sooner rather than later :)
To be fair i think one of the issues the club has atm and has had previously is we have a surpluss of small forwards, Gresham, templeton,Billings, Sinclaire Lonie and Micnhington are bsaically all vying for about 2-3 spots.
Therefroe when one of them has a two week poor patch they get dropped. I personally think its counter prodcutive because the players can't settle. In additoin Sincs is showing that once he gets into the mdidifled he will be much more effective. So yea watch this space and watch him closely in the senriors

Rookie pick always puts players under the radar.
He may be having a spot of second year blues this season.
He finds more of the ball than Lonie. He gets as many clearances as Acres.
Interestingly readint the draft book. At the time Bains/Trout said they would've been comfrotable taking him in the national draft if Lonie wasn't avialable. Also they said they couldn' tunderstand why no other club was interested in him. I can't recall but i think Collingwood was the only other club remotley interested

16 touches on the weekend one of his better efforts and much needed.
He will keep his spot on the back of that

Im not fully sure that they are all best 22 for years to come.
Billings will always have the ability but Sinclair and Lonie aren't guaranteed anything.
I probably have more doubts on Lonie he needs to improve his game at afl level or other kids will go past him.
If we keep recruiting elite mids then it follows that not all of them will make best 22. Which is ok been there it means we get solid depth.

Interestingly readint the draft book. At the time Bains/Trout said they would've been comfrotable taking him in the national draft if Lonie wasn't avialable. Also they said they couldn' tunderstand why no other club was interested in him. I can't recall but i think Collingwood was the only other club remotley interested
If you're talking about Sinclair I can confirm that Trout would've taken him in the ND if we had a space and pick.

From the horse's mouth to my old man.

Maybe just a small bodied guy with no remarkable standout characteristics. But it often seems like guys with a well rounded game are the ones who turn out special. We keep getting told there is so much science involved in the draft now and they know so much more than they used to, but there are always early picks who spud it up, and late picks who go well.

One of my less than savory thoughts is "how much drug testing is done at the under 18 level? " remembering what is riding on the results of their performance. ( I don't have a particular player in mind. But it could explain why some very high achievers seem to go backwards once in the AFL system ).

If we keep recruiting elite mids then it follows that not all of them will make best 22. Which is ok been there it means we get solid depth.
Well the young midfielders will spend time as small forwards.
Like Gresh and Jack Steven did

To be fair i think one of the issues the club has atm and has had previously is we have a surpluss of small forwards, Gresham, templeton,Billings, Sinclaire Lonie and Micnhington are bsaically all vying for about 2-3 spots.
Therefroe when one of them has a two week poor patch they get dropped. I personally think its counter prodcutive because the players can't settle. In additoin Sincs is showing that once he gets into the mdidifled he will be much more effective. So yea watch this space and watch him closely in the senriors

Sinclair hasn't matched his first year form in VFL or AFL .
He played 18 AFL games last year.

I don't see it as an issue that we meanwhile get some games into Minchington. Coming up to 23 years old , decision makers will need to know what he can do.
Then there is Curren a year older again.

I don't see it as an issue that we meanwhile get some games into Minchington. Coming up to 23 years old , decision makers will need to know what he can do.
Currens done

Well I think his game on the weekend was a better standard then any VFL game he had previously played and was better then any afl game he has played. Once he can play like that at afl level watch out

Maybe just a small bodied guy with no remarkable standout characteristics. But it often seems like guys with a well rounded game are the ones who turn out special. We keep getting told there is so much science involved in the draft now and they know so much more than they used to, but there are always early picks who spud it up, and late picks who go well.

One of my less than savory thoughts is "how much drug testing is done at the under 18 level? " remembering what is riding on the results of their performance. ( I don't have a particular player in mind. But it could explain why some very high achievers seem to go backwards once in the AFL system ).
I think he's actually quite a large body for 180 cm. compare him to josh for instances. Since has a very strong core/hips. Also he has a very good burst of speed and great agility. He is a very very good kick too. I know I'm making him sound like the best thing since sliced bread but I really think he'll be special

Well I think his game on the weekend was a better standard then any VFL game he had previously played and was better then any afl game he has played. Once he can play like that at afl level watch out
He also had a 27 disposal, 4 goal game in his first game at VFL level this year, so I'd say he's almost certainly played better footy at VFL level this year than he did in his one game there last year (where from memory he had 22 and kicked 2).

I watched the replay yesterday.

I was impressed with Sinclair, Templeton, Lonie, White, Coughlan, McKenzie, Rice & OKearney.

Billings got big stats and is an elite user but I cant remember him winning one contested ball himself - thats in the air or at ground level.

Is there something wrong with him he just has no sense of urgency? He has never been quick but gees he looked slow and was found wanting for leg speed even in the VFL. If he isnt carrying an injury he needs to spend some time back at Sandi and refind his hunger to play the game.

I understand he has only had one full preseason and is developing, but at this rate he is appears a long long way off making the elite midfielder the Saints hoped for.

On that games basis I would have all (excluding Coughlan) of the above more likely to make AFL midfielders than JB...

Essendons 23rd man Naish Holmes played a ripper I cant believe he didnt get recruited last year. Should get picked up this year on that game alone!

I asked Barrels about Holmes on the trade site who suggested he is a problem child - does anyone know more about him? He plays a great brand of footy and has obviously knuckled down this year.

He also had a 27 disposal, 4 goal game in his first game at VFL level this year, so I'd say he's almost certainly played better footy at VFL level this year than he did in his one game there last year (where from memory he had 22 and kicked 2).

Practice game though.
His last game was probably his best VFL game ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the replay yesterday.

I was impressed with Sinclair, Templeton, Lonie, White, Coughlan, McKenzie, Rice & OKearney.

Billings got big stats and is an elite user but I cant remember him winning one contested ball himself - thats in the air or at ground level.

Is there something wrong with him he just has no sense of urgency? He has never been quick but gees he looked slow and was found wanting for leg speed even in the VFL. If he isnt carrying an injury he needs to spend some time back at Sandi and refind his hunger to play the game.

I understand he has only had one full preseason and is developing, but at this rate he is appears a long long way off making the elite midfielder the Saints hoped for.

On that games basis I would have all (excluding Coughlan) of the above more likely to make AFL midfielders than JB...

Essendons 23rd man Naish Holmes played a ripper I cant believe he didnt get recruited last year. Should get picked up this year on that game alone!

I asked Barrels about Holmes on the trade site who suggested he is a problem child - does anyone know more about him? He plays a great brand of footy and has obviously knuckled down this year.
Depends how they want him to play. If outside then not worried about cb gets.

I have a feeling he'll be another Aussie Jones. Get the balls to him and let him set up play.

You would still like him to be able to win a contest when required?

Watch the Hawthorn game closely. JB was as hard as anyone at the contest.

I haven't watched the VFL replay as yet but maybe he either didn't need to impact contests or was under instructions to be the outsider who distributed the ball.

I was thinking exactly this yesterday.

I hoped he would make it, his training attitude is superb, he just cant get his hard work on the park.
Probably just not talented enough
Size doesn't help him at all
Sorry but it's done

Massive shame, I was really hoping he would. After that freo game a few years back I thought he was going to.
Disappointing for him
Not so much for the club, didn't invest anything in him
Happy to get rid of an excess small midfielder/forward

Most of those guys are midfieldersIMO, with the exception of Lonie and possibly Billings who we are trying to turn into a midfielder. It's just that most of them are still very green and having to spend time in the AFL in the forward line.

They will all eventually start spending more time in the midfield which might make it easier to fit more of them in the one side.

I definitely think we can fit all of Billings, Sinclair and Lonie in. I think Templeton might just end up a handy depth player.

Therefroe when one of them has a two week poor patch they get dropped. I personally think its counter prodcutive because the players can't settle.
The flip-side of that though is that it's good in a way that they get to go back to the VFL where we have more freedom to play them in different roles, that can help fast-track their development in other ways. ie, if there was no-one putting heat on Lonie's spot earlier in the year he may have kept it, whereas now he's had the chance to go back to the VFL and spend a lot of time playing in the midfield, which ought to bring forward the time he's able to spend more time in the midfield at AFL level and it helps give them a more rounded game. Ditto Sinclair and Minchington and Gresh when he went back there.

There's nothing wrong with guys developing in the VFL. In the 80's guys like Tuck and Dipper at Hawthorn spent years in the ressies and Jack Steven and Armo spent plenty of time there, as did Joey I think and last year Membrey spent a good amount of time there and it doesn't seem to have hurt his ability to play well at AFL level this year and in fact may have helped it.

Watched most of the VFL game in different chunks. Might have another look at Q1. You can overrate and underrate performances out of the VFL. But we had three that were so far above on the class factor! These weren't 3 hackers getting big numbers and slopping it around!

I have had my doubts on Lonie - mainly on the body shape factor (not so much height). But boy that kid has some tricks. He doesn't need to kick bags per week, just ultimately be more consistent through the game than he has been. At the start of the year I think it was MG that put forward his big 5 improvers and one of those was Lonie. The VFL game showed enough to why that was. "It's only VFL", but that was some pretty impressive stuff. There was also some of the emotional type play that I think he needs to cut out - has some rushes of blood.

I can see what people mean on Billings. He didn't dominate. But his kicking is perfection. I think (probably hope) he's down on confidence and has probably never had a patch where he has struggled. He's potentially also playing through some pain. Anyway, I'm giving him until early into next year before riding him too much, but like most will hope he really bounces back at some point.

Sinclair. Someone wondered out loud last year whether he might ultimately be the best of the Jacks (or at least best of the young crew). He is super impressive. He did what Billings probably should have done, which was almost dominate patches. Very committed effort.

McKenzie. He does a lot right that kid. just needs to get more dangerous.

White. Could fall in love with this kid. But his kicking was quite sloppy at times. He looks sublime, but had a bit of the lazies going on with his kicking I thought. A bit of the Sucklings - trying to be too fancy and finishes up turning it over. Billings always kicks within himself and hits the target every time. But I did like a bit of strut that White had going. Quick, good leg, very good tackler and hard. Would love to see him play later in the year.

NOK. Was pleasantly surprised. Still not sure if he makes it given his size and I don't think he looks a kid that will get all that bigger. But he looks quite accomplished at that age. He wouldn't have looked out of place if you'd said he was a Top 30 pick. He might be one that uses his footy nous and the size doesn't matter all that much because he just out runs and out reads. Anyway, good to see.

Holmes. Must be the final year in my view. Maybe he stays on to be the 4th ruck, but i can't see him bridging the around the ground gap.

Eli. Still a big fan. No reason he can't do what he does in VFL in the Ones. Just needs to get some confidence and have the one or two good games and off he goes. I don't see why he can't be a Joey type. He simply may not make it, but the coaches keep emphasising that he's a kid that looks above VFL level.

Out of your list of small forwards the only player I actually see as being limited to the small forward role is Lonie as his "bag of tricks" is very much suited to that role.

The others just happened to have started there, though Billings was known for playing as a HF.

Billings: You have already seen this year where he has been played more as a set up wing type player.

Gresham: Is a mid who has just being introduced to AFL level football via the small forward role. But is a mid who canplay both inside and outside IMO. Screams being a "footballer".

Templeton: Flanker/outside mid

Sinclair: Has the potential to be an outstanding mid IMO. Has poise, flair, finishes well under pressure and in traffic. Needs to work on his defensive side and to not go missing (ie more of what we saw this game).

Minch: Can play mid, but I suspect that at AFL level we have better options not including the two gun mids we still need to recruit.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Sandy vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back