SC Midfielders Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2011 midfielders discussion thread

thinking and hoping mzungu will be a good 6th mid

swallow to be a keeper :thumbsu:

Mzungu, perhaps David Swallow - he should play every available game.

Re: 2011 SC Midfielders Discussion Thread

Interested to hear a bit of info from the Freo supporters about Mzungu. How many games can you seriously expect him to lay this year and what sort of a role can you see him filling?
Depends. With Barlow likely out for 2-3 weeks, or just getting eased into AFL, Mzungu may fill his spot for a bit, and if he continues his WAFL form, similar to Barlow did with his VFL form into AFL, then he may be a permanent midfielder. Almost the prime age for an AFL footballer, he should have a mature start to the AFL like Barlow.
Personally with Morabito out for the year I see him filling his role on a wing, isn't too dissimilar to Hill in the way he plays.
Should be roughly 90k and worth it.

Depends. With Barlow likely out for 2-3 weeks, or just getting eased into AFL, Mzungu may fill his spot for a bit, and if he continues his WAFL form, similar to Barlow did with his VFL form into AFL, then he may be a permanent midfielder. Almost the prime age for an AFL footballer, he should have a mature start to the AFL like Barlow.
Personally with Morabito out for the year I see him filling his role on a wing, isn't too dissimilar to Hill in the way he plays.
Should be roughly 90k and worth it.

Cheers, thanks mate. Will keep a close eye on him

thinking and hoping mzungu will be a good 6th mid

swallow to be a keeper :thumbsu:
Anyone think Harris could be more value than Swallow? Almost the same price. Mature bodied. 1/2 decent SC record. Last chance for AFL success. Will probs cop less attention from opposition.

Anyone think Harris could be more value than Swallow? Almost the same price. Mature bodied. 1/2 decent SC record. Last chance for AFL success. Will probs cop less attention from opposition.

I was telling a mate the same thing the other, i like the fact there are people out there that think outside the square

Strong possibility if he's the same price. I think people would be expecting an average of 80+ from Swallow. If Harris plays in the seniors he's pretty much a certainty to average that.

Couple of quick ones........will Goddard and Hodge still be mid/backs this year? If they are soley mids this year, picking a midfield just a got a lot harder........and filling the holes in the backline will also be interesting. I would probably look at Lake or Broughton to fill the holes.

And the biggest quandry of all is the unknown output of little Gary for GCS. I am hoping he may be classed as a mid/fwd after spending a fair bit of time up front for the Cats in 2010. I think this may be unlikely though?-

Couple of quick ones........will Goddard and Hodge still be mid/backs this year? If they are soley mids this year, picking a midfield just a got a lot harder........and filling the holes in the backline will also be interesting. I would probably look at Lake or Broughton to fill the holes.

And the biggest quandry of all is the unknown output of little Gary for GCS. I am hoping he may be classed as a mid/fwd after spending a fair bit of time up front for the Cats in 2010. I think this may be unlikely though?-

Goddard- yes, Hodge- No. GAz- Mid only.

Goddard- yes, Hodge- No. GAz- Mid only.

And the big question becomes... is Hodge worth picking in the midfield? I think he just dropped from a lock to borderline in my team.

Hodge only had 5 scores below 100 for the year on of those being 94. Played the last 4 games carrying a leg injury. Three of his below 100 games occured in this period.

Top price 2010 - $631k (Elite)

Finsihed season at 453k (Cheap)

5 scores at 150+.

Is a lock in either position if he is at that price at the start of the year. Can I play you:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salaries are based on their Average, not their finishing spot.

So you'll be looking at $600k-610k for Hodge.

Aah my mistake............will be a lock for the backline in that case. Goddard, Swan and few others will get the premium nod before him.

hodge is still a s/c must absolute s/c gun and maybe he might go back to his 3rd man up shit(havnt heard anything about it happening but is likely) then he DOMINATES

Hodgey has to be worth a look, he is a proven scorer plus he is one of the few really good premiums from a side that should be right up there this year so i think picking him could be really good for the diversity of your side.

Would be keen to hear which premium midfielders people will be starting ahead of Luke Hodge.

Dane Swan aside. :thumbsu:

Possibly Ablett, Judd, Selwood (Joel), Montagna, NDS, Pendles, Murphy and Cross.

The main concern with Luke for me is can he complete 22 game seasons.

Last season was fantastic - just a little niggle re: his durability - IIRC 17 games in '09 and 19 games in '08.

Possibly Ablett, Judd, Selwood (Joel), Montagna, NDS, Pendles, Murphy and Cross.

The main concern with Luke for me is can he complete 22 game seasons.

Last season was fantastic - just a little niggle re: his durability - IIRC 17 games in '09 and 19 games in '08.

Question marks on most of them really if you think about it.

Ablett is obvious. Could score much less playing in a Gold Coast midfield rather than the Cats midfield.

Judd fair enough. But could get injured just as easily as Hodge.

Selwood could also suffer from Ablett leaving and copping the number 1 tag, as well as a very possible Geelong slide down the ladder.

Montagna and Dal Santo could also suffer from a possible Saints slide.

Pendlebury is fair enough, but if you are picking Dane Swan as your number one premium, then you hardly want two players from the same position in your lineup this year with the byes.

Murphy is fine. But can he score as heavily as Hodge?

Cross is in the same boat as Murphy. Scores consistent, but Hodge probably scores more heavily.

Obviously a bunch of if's and but's. But im just pointing out that you shouldnt be so quick to dismiss Hodge if he is removed as a defender. History shows that Hodge can be a powerful scorer if Hawthorn dominate the season, which they have the list potential to do in 2011, the beauty is, even if they struggle again and finish middle of the road, Hodge will still score strongly, as history has shown us. :thumbsu:

Jimmy Bartel is being seriously underrated here. With Ablett gone, Bartel's output is sure to increase as it usually does whenever Ablett doesn't play. He had a down season last year but after averging 109 and 116 the two previous, I'd say he has a lot of improvement left in him. Perfect 3rd or 4th premium mid who will come with a cheaper price compared to what he can, and has produced.

Thoughts on Hamish Hartlett anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back