Scott Gumbleton injured again (August 2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

This was always going to happen, waste of time. A sad indictment of how piss poor Freo have been in actually trying to get another forward: Jack Anthony, a guy who's played like 25 games, Matt Taberner...

Up until last year I would have put Max Bailey's name in the equation particularly as he was also a first rounder.
You would have to say that he was lucky in the end to get to 45 games after 3 knee recos.
Fortunately he was lucky enough to get a full year out of himself at the right time to be a premiership player.

Looks like things are probably over for Gumby now, but i would love to see both Morabito and Menzel get some kind of continuity going and maybe win a premiership each (as long as not against Hawks in the GF).

I remember going to a Hawthorn Essendon game a few years ago where he kicked a few goals.

After he pulled up sore from a contest, an Essendon fan yelled out "The reason we call you Gumby is because you're built like the plastic toy". It was harsh and a few fans gave him a dirty look, you just had to feel for the guy. Certainly the unluckiest player over the past decade.

Meh. There's a lot more scum at the actual games than in the general footy population/Bigfooty. I think the Essendon supporters on here would have been backing him throughout his injuries

Dan Menzel,Morabito,Tom Williams and Josh Cowan may disagree with you

Sean Rusling never got a chance at it either. Pretty sure he fall over at a wedding not long after retiring and did his shoulder again too :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel for the guy , super talented player.

It's almost at the point now where he should consider walking away from afl. Spend a year in the wafl, and without the pressure of afl, get his body right, enjoy footy and maybe try pick up his afl dream in a year or 2

For a guy who was never ever on the park, when he did get back he'd always take a week or two, then have a game where he'd be plucking them easily and kick three or four.

His first 20 or 30 games were incredible for a key forward. Over about 7 years unfortunately.

Christ if he ever played a few preseasons and seasons in a row. He had hands of superglue.

Injury prone player is injured, stop the presses everybody.

A bit morbid though how quickly Essendon fans rush to create these threads every time it happens now though.

Yeah, I started one last time and some Freo twat accused me of taking pleasure from it.

I'm sorry but I doubt anybody including Freo fans follow him more closely. Don't think people understand the hopes we had pinned on him... he's the highest draft pick in the clubs history and every time we got a little peek he looked the goods... A real source of hope through some ugly ugly years. And then he just kept falling over again, and again, and again, and again. It was torturous.

And then after all those years, with a body made of glass, he got the chance at a 2 year contract at Carlton and what did he do? Stayed at Essendon for one year because of the support.

He's a ripper.

He's the only ex-Essendon player who I would have clapped off the ground if he kicked a big bag against us. I remember him kicking 4 against the Saints a couple of years back and thinking that maybe the wheel was turning for him, but sadly, no cigar.

Feel for the guy , super talented player.

It's almost at the point now where he should consider walking away from afl. Spend a year in the wafl, and without the pressure of afl, get his body right, enjoy footy and maybe try pick up his afl dream in a year or 2
He's 26, 27 next year. 2 years out and then back in the AFL would make him 29ish. Not a chance

It's a bummer, can't imagine what it's like for these guys.

Would be nice to get through one of these threads without it becoming a pissing contest over who's had the rougher run with injury, but that's BigFooty I guess.

A bit morbid though how quickly Essendon fans rush to create these threads every time it happens now though.

Go on and try find 1 Essendon fan who takes pleasure from seeing Gumby struggle, We absolutely love/Loved the bloke, Nothing would please me more then seeing him finally overcome his injuries and have a red hot crack.

Get stuffed. We had him at our club for years and wish him nothing but the best. Every Essendon fans head would drop when they hear news like this.

Ironically we're showing more concern than you are for one of your own players. And you label that morbid? Get stuffed.

Ease up. Was showing genuine concern and expressing how unlucky he is.

Rather than making calls to "delist him now" or "what a waste of a draft pick" like some of your rabid fans have commented

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Gumbleton injured again (August 2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back