Scott Watters trying to keep afloat a sinking ship

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 12, 2006
East Bentleigh
AFL Club
Melbourne
Of all the newly appointed coaches surely Scott Watters has the most difficult job.
Already you hear things like they are not disimilar to Geelong of 2010 etc etc!
If i was a Saints fan i would want to be hearing that he will be giving youth plenty of opportunity & new game plan not tweak the current one plus a line put through some of the veterans that are well past their used by dates!
He could be in for a very rude shock if he continues on with current state of play that exists at Saint land!

i agree he has some work to do, really needs to fill a few gaps. he has some top line players who arent getting any younger so he needs some young kids developing. which i dont think they have right now.

comparing them to geelong is a bit far fetched the saints really struggled to turn it on all year. geelong had been to the top twice prior to winning it this year, they know how to get there.

watters has a bit of work to do.

I would think anyone taking on Melbourne would be far more stressed than someone taking on a probable finalist like St Kilda. Saints may have some list and some board issues but Melbourne have them is spades and have had for a long time.

Of all the newly appointed coaches surely Scott Watters has the most difficult job.
If i was a Saints fan i would want to be hearing that he will be giving youth plenty of opportunity & new game plan not tweak the current one plus a line put through some of the veterans that are well past their used by dates!
He could be in for a very rude shock if he continues on with current state of play that exists at Saint land!

Watters has said that the youth will be given plenty of opportunity and that he will be implementing a new game plan. Why would fans of a club be more happy to hear those things anyway rather than seeing the clubs leaders say they are determined to have a successful season?

I'm under no illusions that St Kilda are not going to be a force next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see us miss the finals as well, but all this ridiculous talk of us being the next port etc, is just that. Ridiculous.

I'll go on record right now saying that we'll beat Melbourne next year, twice if we have to.

We've managed to get some ok draft picks, and 90% of the guys that aren't contracted don't deserve to be so I couldn't care less if they get delisted.

We will not be a force, but we'll be competitive as always and i tip us to score more goals and sit around the middle of the table.

Melbourne just signed Mitch Clarke as their future...I'd be concerned about that.

Interesting that most seem to want to turn this against the OP and start going at Melbourne. I always thought we were supposed to keep to the topic at hand instead of attacking the OP's team.

If you want to discuss Melbourne, start another thread and we can discuss it there.

FWIW, I think the OTB has a good point - the Saints do need to start playing their youth IMO and face a tough uphill battle from here. Good luck to them, but I think it's going to be testing times ahead for Watters.

There's no doubt that all the hard work is ahead of Watters.

When you think that Neeld is walking into a side that has had a lot of young players already with games pumped into them. - with the saints there are only two players under 23 who have played double digit games.

Watters won't get a contact renewal - Saints will slide and he'll cop the brunt of that!

Edit: This is the number of players at other clubs under 23 who have played double digit games

West Coast 12
Collingwood 7
Melbourne 11
Geelong 4
Port 11

Should probably at least give him a chance. He's been in the job 2 minutes, you've got no idea what he's like as a coach. Where are the quotes from Watters about these things you mention? These ones seem like what you are asking for if anything:

"I think where football is right now, certainly you want to contend, but at the same time you need to rebuild," Watters said.

"It's a constant process and one doesn't mutually exclude the other. We've got some really talented kids on our list, who will need to earn the opportunity to play, but you've got opportunities that are going to be there."

"But we've also got a really strong group of core leaders who are outstanding players and lead the club particularly well, so we'll blend both of those together."

Watters said he respected St Kilda's previous defensive game plan, but conceded there was a need to change the club's dour style of play.

"I won't go into specifics, but there are some opportunities for us as a group to work on over the pre-season and we'll continue to evolve, not just in the next three to six months, but over the next two to three years," Watters said.

"You've got to stay ahead of the game."

"I think this group may be ready for a change."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...eins-at-st-kilda/story-e6frg7mf-1226168026366

WTF are you talking about?

For next year at least, it's a side that can still make the top 4. They get back Hayes and with some luck, if they can get Goddard, Reiwoldt, Dalsanto, Milne, Montagna and Gilbert playing a full season it's a side that can do damage.

Last off season they were hammered big time and it set the tone for the first half of the season. If the Saints get through pre-season and get off to a resemble start to 2012, look out.

Saints have the worst young kids in the league and their key players are getting very old. Yes he is tryign to keep up a sinking ship

Well...if it is a sinking ship I think they have the best Captain.

I watched Scotty as a player at close quarters and he didn't just have natural talent he had a 'footy brain' , very sharp.

Only injury cut short his career whch would have been stellar otherwise.

My Chiro/Physio/massuese (anonymity) works with footy clubs and when doing his business with them and from his own judgement (footy player too) reckons that he is HIGHLY regarded for above traits.

Heard that he thinks outside of the square and is very driven and ahead of the game.

Coached Subi to two WAFL Premierships (no WAFL barbs please).

I don't think people in the East realise how good this guy is.

Well done Saints.

Watters is by all accounts a class act.

St Kilda could seriously go either way. Marking time isn't going to happen they will either make a massive go at the top 4 or crash badly to the bottom 4. No in between.

What will decide the difference will be the kids he has inherited. We've seen what the existing list can do, lets see if Lyon put any development into the kids at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People saying the saints are going to collapse like a sack of potatoes, sure there is a chance of that happening but i doubt it. didn't at the end of 2010 the eagles have the worst list in the comp?

We finished 6th last year after a strong finish to the season and so far have lost no players of any real significance but we're suddenly a sinking ship?

There are a few worse ships a new coach could be taking the helm of. Melbourne for all their supposed potential haven't exactly been travelling too well and Neeld probably has a more difficult job to turn things around there than Watters does at St Kilda. At least St Kilda has a stong experienced leadership group to help him, Neeld doesn't have that at Melbourne.

There's no doubt that all the hard work is ahead of Watters.

When you think that Neeld is walking into a side that has had a lot of young players already with games pumped into them. - with the saints there are only two players under 23 who have played double digit games.

Watters won't get a contact renewal - Saints will slide and he'll cop the brunt of that!

Edit: This is the number of players at other clubs under 23 who have played double digit games

West Coast 12
Collingwood 7
Melbourne 11
Geelong 4
Port 11

Carlton 15.
Hawthorn 10.
Melbourne 12.
Richmond 12.

Don't know what can be taken from that though

We finished 6th last year after a strong finish to the season and so far have lost no players of any real significance but we're suddenly a sinking ship?

There are a few worse ships a new coach could be taking the helm of. Melbourne for all their supposed potential haven't exactly been travelling too well and Neeld probably has a more difficult job to turn things around there than Watters does at St Kilda. At least St Kilda has a stong experienced leadership group to help him, Neeld doesn't have that at Melbourne.

You r kidding aren't you. I bet if the other 17 coaches were asked to pick out of the Saints and Melbourne which would be the preferred list to take over I have no doubt 100% of them would choose Melbourne.

All the Saints Stars have a couple of years at best and have peaked already and on the down would slide and to compound the issue there drafting and trading was all for the "Now" and with no regard for the future. LYON left the sinking ship he created and I bet this was one of the main reasons for his defection. If he thought they had any chance at all for flag he would have stayed.

On the other hand Melbourne have a good young list with a couple of holes which could be fixed in the next couple of years. However with the talent stockpiled by the GC and GWS I don't think it will take long for them to overtake Melbourne and ruin there chance at a possible flag in 4 or 5 years.

Melbourne might have more long term potential but St Kilda is a better prospect for a new coach in the short term.

I still think we have a realistic chance of being a premiership contender for the next couple of years, beyond that we might drop off but I don't think the drop will be as bad as some people think. Melbourne are probably still a few years away from being a serious premiership contender.

People saying the saints are going to collapse like a sack of potatoes, sure there is a chance of that happening but i doubt it. didn't at the end of 2010 the eagles have the worst list in the comp?

That was true about the Eagles, but they were a real surprise packet.

The next Port comments are ridiculous, however. While their youth is underdeveloped compared to other teams, their players still have a few years left. Hayes at 32 next year could last one year or four - it's too tough to predict given his injury. Saad looks a ready-made replacement for Milne and Blake will be 31 but should play another two years.

After that, everyone's 29 or younger. You'd think barring injury they'd all play until they're 30, at least. So to write them off for next year and the future is ludicrous when their 22 is relatively the same.

Of course though, it'll be a problem in 3-4 years, when Hayes, Milne, Riewoldt, Blake, Fisher, Kosi and Peake should have retired, but only time will tell whether they can recruit enough good young players to fill the void.

They'll make finals next year. How deep they go, we'll see.

St Kilda is widely touted of all the teams to have been in the top eight over the last few years to rely so heavily on a small proportion of their list. These players have carried the club on their backs like giants but the weight is starting to show.

St Kilda would have been better to have had a coach with a direction over the last few weeks but Lyons timing really screwed the saints on that one.

So to continue with the ship analogy is Watters going to want to make repairs at sea and continue toward the destination with what he has rather than divert to port to put the HMAS St Kilda in dry dock for a serious overhaul.

I wish Watters all the best but St Kilda would appear headed for a serious dip.

Over the years we have seen the comprehensive failure of youth driven overhauls of lists. He will need to find a balance and get a real understanding of his players and what he can do with the list he has. I don't think they will do a Geelong, but he can do some things to ensure StKilda don't do what Carlton, Richmond and Melbourne have done.

Melbourne might have more long term potential but St Kilda is a better prospect for a new coach in the short term.

I still think we have a realistic chance of being a premiership contender for the next couple of years, beyond that we might drop off but I don't think the drop will be as bad as some people think. Melbourne are probably still a few years away from being a serious premiership contender.
Did you hit your head again? Forget it, you're cooked.

Saints have the worst young kids in the league

Well the thing is, I just don't know how anybody would know that?

Better to make that judgement at the end of next season, after some actual resources are put into their development.

Well the thing is, I just don't know how anybody would know that?

Better to make that judgement at the end of next season, after some actual resources are put into their development.

But he didn't say the Saints will have the worst kids at the end of next season, he's making that judgment now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Watters trying to keep afloat a sinking ship

Remove this Banner Ad

Back