Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Love your thread

But when will you realise we are in this position because we haven’t replenished our team properly we don’t know how to draft a team that will be elite only competitive back pocket players and outside runners with your first picks is a waste but let Hamish dig a bigger hole for the club than we are already in. Then we ignore SA talent although first year in and fog signs for two years do you think that may have made the penny drop for our recruiting team that it’s easier and cheaper to hold on to home grown talent, probably not

And yet marty36 is still incapable of mentioning any early drafting failures since good old Hamish took over* (seeing the goal with drafting is either best 22, or massive overs in a trade). I'll give you help and list out all of Oglivie drafted players in the top 40 (you know, because I want you to actually answer this)

(brackets are notable later picks)

2012: No picks above 40 (Atkins)
2013: Matt Crouch (Knight, Cameron, Kelly)
2014: Lever, Wigg (McGovern)
2015: Milera, Doedee (Beech, Greenwood, Keath)
2016: Gallucci (Poholke)
2017: Fogarty, McPherson

Go give your best shot to find more than one failure in that set. I'm sure you'll squib this question again and try to tangent if I do get a reply.

I will say one thing, From our early picks (in which Hamish has had less then a normal drafter would), I certainly don't see many back pockets (in fact, there are 0 seeing Doedee has been playing as a third tall) or outside runners (just 1 in Milera, and outside midfielders are perfectly fine to draft in the first round if they are talented enough) on that list.

*I'm sure you are thinking that it is unfortunate that the player you had a crusade against is the current favourite in the rising star.

And yet marty36 is still incapable of mentioning any early drafting failures since good old Hamish took over* (seeing the goal with drafting is either best 22, or massive overs in a trade). I'll give you help and list out all of Oglivie drafted players in the top 40 (you know, because I want you to actually answer this)

(brackets are notable later picks)

2012: No picks above 40 (Atkins)
2013: Matt Crouch (Knight, Cameron, Kelly)
2014: Lever, Wigg (McGovern)
2015: Milera, Doedee (Beech, Greenwood, Keath)
2016: Gallucci (Poholke)
2017: Fogarty, McPherson

Go give your best shot to find more than one failure in that set. I'm sure you'll squib this question again and try to tangent if I do get a reply.

I will say one thing, From our early picks (in which Hamish has had less then a normal drafter would), I certainly don't see many back pockets (in fact, there are 0 seeing Doedee has been playing as a third tall) or outside runners (just 1 in Milera, and outside midfielders are perfectly fine to draft in the first round if they are talented enough) on that list.

*I'm sure you are thinking that it is unfortunate that the player you had a crusade against is the current favourite in the rising star.

such a great list, it puzzles everyone how well rated are players are but we cannot and will not win a premiership

what is going on

make a many excuses as you want you have been for 20 years and you will continue for another 20
I have for 20 years? But Hamish hasn’t been there for 20 years??

So you’ve never used injuries as an excuse? Before you answer you might want to look at your texts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hahahahaha are you for real

Picking SA lads will ensure cap room is available for a better list where the go home factor is taken out of the picture infact players will actually stay for less

I wasn't saying SA players are better

if you have a number of SA players in general terms you will retain them for less due to the fact they have family and friends here, its not in all instances but clearly in the majority of instances

the whole reason we lost Danger, Gunston, Lever , CC is that factor and got Gibbs its pretty bloody obvious
There is definitely some good sense in this , I agree

Glad we didn't miss Doedee though

You love being a competitive club don’t you?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I said there is merit in what your saying !

Needs to also be tempered by SA quality coming through
Eg this year go for it

Hayward - yes ! Burton maybe but injury

Graham - jury out , would have been better than Poholke but how good ?

I'm agreeing with you but with a caveat

If we'd have gone SA all the way we'd have a shite team with no key position players

Needs to be tempered but has merit where possible

Obviously we aren’t going to go SA only that’s impossible

But to get more SA players who can play would have a lot of benefits

But that’s why football staff get paid the big bucks they need to perform and win a premiership or they can move on for all I care

But that’s why football staff get paid the big bucks they need to perform and win a premiership or they can move on for all I care

We'd probably rather you did the moving

The current philosophy of our recruiting staff is take the best available player that fills our needs, but what your seemingly asking for is for the club to take lower rated players solely because they're from SA.

So let's get this straight, you believe that the best way to build a premiership caliber squad is not by drafting the highest rated players, but rather from drafting lower SA rated players?

giphy.gif

Now I know they had some superstars, all time greats and the best coach of the modern era with them, but Hawthorn missed the finals after a flag in 2008.

1 - How did that happen ?? Was it simply a massive hangover or were the losses of Croad and Crawf that big ??

and more importantly

2 - What did they do to fix it ??

That right there should be what we are looking at.
They managed to have assistant coaches such as Bolton, Beveridge, Ratten, Hardwick & Adam Simpson during their flag runs after 08.

A far cry to what we’ve got down at west lakes...

The current philosophy of our recruiting staff is take the best available player that fills our needs, but what your seemingly asking for is for the club to take lower rated players solely because they're from SA.

So let's get this straight, you believe that the best way to build a premiership caliber squad is not by drafting the highest rated players, but rather from drafting lower SA rated players?

giphy.gif

Only looking at history to how both ourselves and port won our premierships

I did say it will be a mix but if there is any doubt on the ability of two players you simply take the home grown talent every time

Or are you saying how we have been drafting for the last twenty years is working a treat

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back