Season review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, I do not like the the OP, saying we dropped the cup and picked up our handbags. Seriously man! We lost a thriller to the eventual premiers, who won 14 of their last 16 games.

This year has exceeded expectations. If you told me at the start of the year we would be transitioning out of the team Hawkins, Rohan, Duncan and Tuohy, get virtually no games from Guthrie and not have a fit SDK by the end of the year - I would have though this was gonna be a tough rebuilding year. Instead, we finish 3rd and nearly make the Grand Final.

From last team, you could replace Blitz, Stanley & Bews with SDK, Conway and BSmith and suddenly you only have Danger, Cameron, Stewart as over 30s. Yes - they are 3 of our most valuable players. But once again, our amazing club has rebuilt while staying in contention. Have a think, since we won the 2022 flag we have introduced OHenry, Dempsey, Bruin, Bowes, Mannagh, Humphries, Neale, Holmes, Mullin. And have Clark and COS developing.

Does this guarantee anything in 2025 - no. But have a look at how Hawthorn or Richmond went in trying to rebuild on the run and tell me who you’d rather be.
We definitely exceeded expectations and Scott has done a phenomenal job coaching this year. We still shit the bed in the prelim. To be in a very good position to win a flag and not do so is a fail

We definitely exceeded expectations and Scott has done a phenomenal job coaching this year. We still shit the bed in the prelim. To be in a very good position to win a flag and not do so is a fail

Yep - both things can be true.

On balance, we shouldn't have made it as far as we did with the list we have, even with the new "discoveries" like Mannagh and Humphries. But you REALLY want to take advantage when you're 4 goals up in the third quarter of a prelim...and we didn't. And it's easy to say the future's bright (and it could be) but there are plenty of teams who made a prelim or two before dropping away (hi Bulldogs 08-10). We have defied the equalisation period waaaaaay longer than anyone else, but we won't forever, so losing opportunities like these is beyond frustrating.

Well, let's test that theory now.

Who here would accept having a 0% chance at winning the flag next year to lose in a prelim to the eventual premier?

It took me all of 0.1 seconds answer NO to that.

Sure if we were a North, WC or Richmond... but we aren't at that level.

We can't be happy going into a season knowing we can't win the flag... well that's just me.

I want flags... you can showcase honourable seasons in the trophy cabinet.
You were imploring us to tank halfway through the year lmao. That in itself suggests you thought we were a mile off it.

His point stands. Only the biggest nuffie would have predicted what eventuated last year, or in the aftermath of the Carlton game this year.

Disappointing? Absolutely, but we can still celebrate growth and see it all as an honourable year.

Otherwise, we might as well all log off and just tune in post September in flag winning years in one big circle jerk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Season review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back