SFNL Div 3 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Valid point, but disagree grouping like teams. It's basically dividing Div 3 into 2 divisions.

SY didn't make the finals, but were very close so a consequence they play Hallam EH etc twice, while CPL as a consequence of being very average get to play Dandenong and Sandown twice. SY could end up 0-4 while CPL could be 4-0.....

Like I said, valid point because no one likes 30 goal blowouts but it's effectively creating Div 3a and Div 3b

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hence why I don't think a 14 team competition would work.

Using your example above, if SY were somehow drawn to play the bottom 4 twice, they'd effectively be 8-0 and only need to pick up another 2 - 3 games to make finals.

Regardless of what happens, I think we'll all be back again trying to go better than this year but perhaps there is merit to splitting in to a Div 4 which would also give clubs like ours a chance to rebuild. Sure recruiting to Div 4 might be hard, but you only have to go better than the 5 other teams in one year and you're back up in Div 3 and getting back in to the 'viable option' area again.

Didn't someone mention Clayton, Clyde and Cerebrus in earlier posts? Are they still an option?

Turn it up..
T . Kumetatis did kick any goals against top 5 side's all year. Same as S . Peake from Ashwood.
Anyone can kick a bag against bottom 6 side's in Div3.
Terrible side there..
Haha this comment makes me laugh
Please name your fwd line of the year ?
Peake is trash
Cam Riley talk is a joke surely someone is taking the piss
but Trevor is a good fwd
When we play the good teams he gets double and triple team don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that
He kicked almost 20 more than any fwd he is a walk up starter

Hence why I don't think a 14 team competition would work.

Using your example above, if SY were somehow drawn to play the bottom 4 twice, they'd effectively be 8-0 and only need to pick up another 2 - 3 games to make finals.

Regardless of what happens, I think we'll all be back again trying to go better than this year but perhaps there is merit to splitting in to a Div 4 which would also give clubs like ours a chance to rebuild. Sure recruiting to Div 4 might be hard, but you only have to go better than the 5 other teams in one year and you're back up in Div 3 and getting back in to the 'viable option' area again.

Didn't someone mention Clayton, Clyde and Cerebrus in earlier posts? Are they still an option?
Peake is trash
but Trevor is a good fwd
When we play the good teams he gets double and triple team don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that
been at a club that went down to a lower div has still not got back to full strength club is moorabbin

And ... who is that club of yours?

Went to watch Doveton play in their praccy. They are crap, definately won't make finals.

One dude wasnt even wearing boots, was playing with just his bare feet.

Top 5 for me, in no particular order.

Ashwood
Hallam - looking very good
Endeavour
Lyndale - have picked up some real talent
Black Rock

Build some cred before attacking legendary posters.

I'm from the club that hasn't been told Hampton Hacks are in the SFNL.

Peake is trash
but Trevor is a good fwd

This comment makes me laugh
U called me a lyndale flog 10 days ago but now u referring to lyndale players and the club as 'we'
Pull ur head in troll

Makes for a 14 team competition which I personally don't think will work!

If they do go ahead with it, I just hope the powers that be look at equalizing the draw so like teams play each other twice, ie. CPL, Moorabbin, Dandenong & Sandown, then the top 4 or 5 and the middle 4 or 5. At least if they try to equalize it, there is less of an advantage to teams looking for percentage boosters because they're lucky enough to play bottom teams twice.

One possibility is doing what the WRFL did with their Div 2 a few years ago: start with one big division, then split it after every team has played each other.

With a 14-team comp, each team would play each other once. After round 13, the top eight teams would continue as Div 3 and play each other again (a further 7 rounds, for a season of 20 rounds) before going into a final four. The bottom six teams after R13 would split off to form a Div 4. They would then play each other again (further 5 rounds, for a season of 18 rounds) before having their own finals series.

In terms of playing each other, it is the fairest I can think of: the strong sides play each other twice, the weak sides play each other twice, and each strong side only plays each weak side once.

There are problems, of course. The last 5-7 weeks of the draw have to be drawn up mid-season, making planning of events difficult (especially if a club is a co-tenant of a ground with another club, or wants to play U19s or women's footy on the same day). Winning the Div 4 flag might seem a bit hollow, too, given that the winner was (at best) 9th in Div 3 midway through the season. Then again, I've never heard of anyone turning down a premiership trophy.

It's not an ideal solution, but it might be worth thinking about as an interim thing until they can find another two teams and split Div 3 into two 8-team divisions permanently.

This comment makes me laugh
U called me a lyndale flog 10 days ago but now u referring to lyndale players and the club as 'we'
Pull ur head in troll
Hey it is we just not a big fan of you a overrated hack who thinks he is better than what you are !!!
Plus arnt you leaving cause it's all a bit to hard at the mighty pumas ?

One possibility is doing what the WRFL did with their Div 2 a few years ago: start with one big division, then split it after every team has played each other.

With a 14-team comp, each team would play each other once. After round 13, the top eight teams would continue as Div 3 and play each other again (a further 7 rounds, for a season of 20 rounds) before going into a final four. The bottom six teams after R13 would split off to form a Div 4. They would then play each other again (further 5 rounds, for a season of 18 rounds) before having their own finals series.

In terms of playing each other, it is the fairest I can think of: the strong sides play each other twice, the weak sides play each other twice, and each strong side only plays each weak side once.

There are problems, of course. The last 5-7 weeks of the draw have to be drawn up mid-season, making planning of events difficult (especially if a club is a co-tenant of a ground with another club, or wants to play U19s or women's footy on the same day). Winning the Div 4 flag might seem a bit hollow, too, given that the winner was (at best) 9th in Div 3 midway through the season. Then again, I've never heard of anyone turning down a premiership trophy.

It's not an ideal solution, but it might be worth thinking about as an interim thing until they can find another two teams and split Div 3 into two 8-team divisions permanently.
Has Merit!

If the bottom 6 are going to play each other a second time and then play for the 'Hollow' premiership, your argument adds weight to my earlier post about a Div 4 with only 6 teams and 20 rounds. At least then the premier knows they were the best in the division.
and they get themselves back in to Div 3.

Whatever happens, I really don't think that everyone will be happy.

You've hit the nail on the head 100% Number 9!

Wouldn't matter which way things were set up and managed, someone would find a flaw.. but I'm with you in the sense that watching Dandy getting flogged, seeing Sandown under the pump week in and week out is off putting for supporters sponsors and players.. anything to help the have nots increase their competitiveness is a win!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's just remember that HPFNC was previously the Lyndhurst Hampton Park FNC and that all the clubs you mentioned were formed after HPFNC. So don't you think that their formation has affected the playing stocks of the Redbacks?
Competitions should be greatful that clubs are wanting to enter and clubs should also be greatful hat they get to play 18 games which is extra revenue. The HPFNC have won four games in six years. What's to worry about? I am sure all they want is to be competitive and win a few games instead of finishing with 13%.
Their starting midfield this year was under 18 years of age, with an average age of 21. Oldest player of value was 24. I think that it will be great for them to play against local clubs and build rivalries as time progresses.
It is local sport so let's celebrate making a tackle, kicking a goal and having a brew after the game instead of being full of hatred towards a club which you know nothing about.
Go and have a great burger, enjoy a latte watching the netball and have a frothy in the rooms after the game and listen to both coaches have a craic after the game in the social rooms. What more is it that you want?????
Stocks and public flogging???
See you all in April.

Hampton Park NEED to join SFNL or it will fold within a year, having said that i believe the SFNL Board were meeting with them sometime this month to "discuss" their application.
Hampton Park WILL be in SFNL 2018, not sure about some of the existing clubs which would be a shame, nothing like local footy these days.

Hampton Park NEED to join SFNL or it will fold within a year, having said that i believe the SFNL Board were meeting with them sometime this month to "discuss" their application.
Hampton Park WILL be in SFNL 2018, not sure about some of the existing clubs which would be a shame, nothing like local footy these days.
Crap.

The edict from SFNL President and board is that it will ensure the viability of its current member clubs over accepting new clubs into the league.

At the moment the league has 2 clubs in Sandown and Dandenong 'on their knees' so it would be highly unlikely the league would bring in Hampton Hacks before they assist in the viability of its current 2 member clubs.

If the league allows HH in before assisting Sandown and Dandenong then the league AGM will be a lively affair as they have contradicted their original intent to the clubs they currently represent.

Why does our league need to take on the dregs of other leagues. As stated we have Dandenong and Sandown stuffed and we want another stuffed club coming in with its own issues and no $$. Merge or close.

Last edited:
Crap.

The edict from SFNL President and board is that it will ensure the viability of its current member clubs over accepting new clubs into the league.

At the moment the league has 2 clubs in Sandown and Dandenong 'on their knees' so it would be highly unlikely the league would bring in Hampton Hacks before they assist in the viability of its current 2 member clubs.

If the league allows HH in before assisting Sandown and Dandenong then the league AGM will be a lively affair as they have contradicted their original intent to the clubs they currently represent.

Why does our league need to take on the dregs of other leagues. As stated we have Dandenong and Sandown stuffed and we want another stuffed club coming in with its own issues and no $$. Merge or close.

Correct Bounceback, there was crap in my post, Hampton Park will not fold, financially they are ok, but can not recruit players in SEFNL due to their history of not winning games. Although offering 2 or 3 times the amt of $$$ that a potential player getting elsewhere, players will baulk and decline offer. A change of leagues to a lower standard will hopefully encourage players to come on board once they believe that the club could have some success and they would not be stuck in a team that will be destroyed every week. Sad, when players no longer find it a rewarding challenge to try and lift a club out of the mire and to change their fortunes around.
It's a vicious circle that clubs like Hampton Park, Sandown, Dandenong, Moorabbin are in at present.

Correct Bounceback, there was crap in my post, Hampton Park will not fold, financially they are ok, but can not recruit players in SEFNL due to their history of not winning games. Although offering 2 or 3 times the amt of $$$ that a potential player getting elsewhere, players will baulk and decline offer. A change of leagues to a lower standard will hopefully encourage players to come on board once they believe that the club could have some success and they would not be stuck in a team that will be destroyed every week. Sad, when players no longer find it a rewarding challenge to try and lift a club out of the mire and to change their fortunes around.
It's a vicious circle that clubs like Hampton Park, Sandown, Dandenong, Moorabbin are in at present.
There's a few reasons why they have struggled to recruit. Also they haven't worked on the relationship with their junior club (until very recently) which would have provided players. Their recruiting process of simply throwing money around is exactly why they shouldn't come into this Comp.
Again, the league needs to support the growth of its existing clubs, not bring in a cashed up outsider to make things more difficult.

Last edited:
Let's just remember that HPFNC was previously the Lyndhurst Hampton Park FNC and that all the clubs you mentioned were formed after HPFNC. So don't you think that their formation has affected the playing stocks of the Redbacks?
Competitions should be greatful that clubs are wanting to enter and clubs should also be greatful hat they get to play 18 games which is extra revenue. The HPFNC have won four games in six years. What's to worry about? I am sure all they want is to be competitive and win a few games instead of finishing with 13%.
Their starting midfield this year was under 18 years of age, with an average age of 21. Oldest player of value was 24. I think that it will be great for them to play against local clubs and build rivalries as time progresses.
It is local sport so let's celebrate making a tackle, kicking a goal and having a brew after the game instead of being full of hatred towards a club which you know nothing about.
Go and have a great burger, enjoy a latte watching the netball and have a frothy in the rooms after the game and listen to both coaches have a craic after the game in the social rooms. What more is it that you want?????
Stocks and public flogging???
See you all in April.

How about they stay where they are and try and build their stocks through their junior club. Build a culture that players want to stay a part of.

All they have said repeatedly is "we can't recruit no matter how much money we throw at players". No talk of investing in junior development even though they sit on the edge of a massive growth corridor.

instead the plan is to just jump into a lesser comp and throw money around. It'll raise the required spend for sfl clubs to compete for local talent that isn't playing sefnl.

Build some cred before attacking legendary posters.

I'm from the club that hasn't been told Hampton Hacks are in the SFNL.

who u calling hacks? Hampton are already in the SFNL u knitwit. if it is Hampton Park u are referring to then u have no idea of the standard of footy they have had to play with a list not capable of doing so. and for the record, it is official that Hampton Park have been accepted into division 3 for now but further discussions continue

There's a few reasons why they have struggled to recruit. Also they haven't worked on the relationship with their junior club (until very recently) which would have provided players. Their recruiting process of simply throwing money around is exactly why they shouldn't come into this Comp.
Again, the league needs to support the growth of its existing clubs, not bring in a cashed up outsider to make things more difficult.

shane this post is completely untrue and illinformed. u obviously have no idea about the processes in place. as stated earlier, they have had to overpay players to recruit due to the incredible standard of footy they have to compete in. this will not be the case in SFNL div 3.....

as for the jnr club, I think they had 8 teams in total. the relationship is great but there are no kids coming thru due to the expansion of the area and the new clubs. their home ground is a school and they still can't get the numbers. leagues at both junior and senior level could easily help this issue.....

who u calling hacks? Hampton are already in the SFNL u knitwit. if it is Hampton Park u are referring to then u have no idea of the standard of footy they have had to play with a list not capable of doing so. and for the record, it is official that Hampton Park have been accepted into division 3 for now but further discussions continue
League boss has said very clearly that HP has not been accepted at this stage. Said it directly to me this weekend. Be disappointing if that is not the case.

I know at least 6-8 neighbouring sfnl clubs have raised objections to HP coming in.
If the league has disregarded the best interests of its existing clubs without any real consultation then that's a disgrace.

League boss has said very clearly that HP has not been accepted at this stage. Said it directly to me this weekend. Be disappointing if that is not the case.

I know at least 6-8 neighbouring sfnl clubs have raised objections to HP coming in.
If the league has disregarded the best interests of its existing clubs without any real consultation then that's a disgrace.

I know for a fact that Hampton Park and Springvale have been told differently

shane this post is completely untrue and illinformed. u obviously have no idea about the processes in place. as stated earlier, they have had to overpay players to recruit due to the incredible standard of footy they have to compete in. this will not be the case in SFNL div 3
mate, I've spoken at length directly to your president who said they will spend to the 75k cap if in div 3 and higher if in div 2.

I also have a very good understanding of the lack of work they have put in with their local juniors because we have fielded a joint under 17 side with HP juniors for 2 or 3 years. HP did bugger all.

As for having to overspend to compete due to the "incredible standard",I disagree.

Doveton Doves are in a similar position. They seem to develop their own. They've got under 19s, are building their own junior club, recruit well and have a strong culture by getting the balance right, or trying to.

Hampton park should have aligned with and supported the junior club years ago. lyndhurst juniors should have been a feeder for them as well before they got their own seniors.

Last edited:
as for the jnr club, I think they had 8 teams in total. the relationship is great but there are no kids coming thru due to the expansion of the area and the new clubs. their home ground is a school and they still can't get the numbers. leagues at both junior and senior level could easily help this issue.....

Mate if the club was serious they could help the juniors issue.

We have had about 14 or 15 under 19s play senior footy this year. Almost all of them came from the joint under 17s side we had with HP.

We spent 3 years providing coaches, trainers and financial support to the side and junior club. HP were supposed to provide the same. They had a "coach" of the side who showed up two or three times in year one before disappearing without notice and that was the last we heard from the senior club, until the last year where they popped up and offered the boys $$$ to come to them. To the boys credit they apreciated what we had done and only one left.

I hope HP get back on their feet as no one wants to see a local club disappear. Coming into this comp would be a good move for them. It's not good for the clubs already in the comp though.

Remove this Banner Ad

SFNL Div 3 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back