Sheedy Sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Essendon disgrace

So is any of the following likely?

Someone trying to get together a board that would overturn this and keep Sheedy?

Essendon having only about 15-20000 members next yr after a backlash?

Sheedy wont let that happen...he will get over this, his press conference (in full) is very revieling. It is suggested, by both Sheeds and jackson, that they have been discussing the best way for him to exit since January. This morning I was screaming blue murder, ripping up memberships and writing threatening emails.....but I have simmered somewhat and, although the next 2 months is crucial to reinstalling any lost dignity for the great man, I am reasonably comfortable with the avenue the club have taken given the current coaching market.

As a side note - I can't believe they got rid of him!

Re: Sheedy Sacked ??

I think its a strange decision. All the other clubs sacking coaches have either gone backwards a long way or been Carlton, but Essendon has improved a fair bit this year and is still in finals contention. Harvs or Gary O to take over for mine. I'd rather try a new coach than one that has had a go and failed, like Daniher or Connoly.

There's got to be a reason why it's all been announced now rather than at season's end. I can only presume Essendon is eyeing one or two of the potential coaches in the mix for a new job and doesn't want to be caught behind the other clubs looking for new coaches. Suddenly it all makes sense.

I think there might be another reason for the timing as well. Lift the squad that have been in a bit of a slump results-wise into giving heroic afforts to make the 8 and win finals to see off both Hird and Sheedy.

Why coach that long only for 4 premierships?
Jeans did it in about 10 ish
Mathews less than that

I suppose It depends what you want out of a coach

4 Premierships is a bit misleading.

Essendon, under Sheedy, finished minor premiers 7 times. The last of which was 2001, which meant at the end of 2001, once every three years Essendon finished on top of the ladder. In theory it should be once every 16.

Now premierships aren't won by finishing on top, but it gives a broad indication of the continual success of Essendon under Sheedy. It was only bad luck that stopped us winning more. A number of close finals losses, were nothing but bad luck. All up Essendon lost 5 finals by less than a kick and only one won.

Also, all four flags came in years where we finished top, and three times we finished top but didn't win. But we were never able to "sneak" a flag from a lower position. They only flags we got were the ones we thoroughly deserved. Essendon also finished with 16-6 records in 1981 and 1982, but could only finish 4th and were eliminated with no second chance. 16-6 has often been enough to finish top.

Also, in the 26 completed seasons under Sheedy Essendon has only lost more games than they have won in a season only 4 times. Four out of 26.

So, the premiership count was an "unlucky" 4, and could have been anywhere between 4 and 7. Very rarely was Essendon not a contender. 22 times (and maybe 23 to come), Essendon won at least half their games.

If you only judge by premierships, then you ignore (wrongly) all the other years (which are MOST years) that you don't win, and often those years comprise of dominant and competitive teams.

Why coach that long only for 4 premierships?
Jeans did it in about 10 ish
Mathews less than that

I suppose It depends what you want out of a coach

jeans' first was 66, his next was 83, 86, 89.
how is that 10'ish, get a calculator or listen to your teacher next time in grade 2 maths junior.:rolleyes:

matthews first was 90, then 2001, 02, 03. how is this less than that?
jesus christ, check your facts before submitting noob

hair splitting board. he wanted a new contract - they told him to p1ss off - I guess thats not the sack?

It's not. You have no idea. He was never committed to anything to be axed from it. In the long run he will be known as a legend of the club and the most influential person in its history. How about some respect for the man you pathetic little individual.

There's got to be a reason why it's all been announced now rather than at season's end. .

Or Sheedy played his last card... pushing his new contract over the table , only to see the Board push it back and say ''at the end of the season''

Sheedy then ( its assumed) would have forced the Boards hand by going to the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prediction for Essendon and Sheeds

Essendon and Sheedy's Success has not been based on the nuvo-corporate hard nosed style we have seen exercised by this current board, rather it was a good old fashioned cosy relationship that worked in spite of the influence and short sightedness of the corporate predators who have now taken over every part of the administration of our game. Remember if sheedy had not been shielded from the wishes of the board back in 97, Essendon would have one less premiership.

Kevin Sheedy will coach next year and I belive he will take that new team to a flag within four years of him taking over.

Essendon on the other hand will now not win a premiership during the tenure of the coach who takes over from Sheedy. Nothing grows in the shadow of great trees.

Terrible mistake by the Essendon board, he should have been given one more year. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

What a bloody shit day. Can't believe we got Rid of Kevin, Only coach I have known for Essendon.

I would like to thank him for everything he has done for Essendon and now I have to ponder what next year will bring.

If we go for Voss im going to go for Collingwood, Hope either Mark Harvey or Gary O'Donnell get the Job or will take Neil Daniher. Not Voss Please not Voss.

Hope us supporters and the team try and honor 2 of the greats of the EFC in the way they deserve.

Re: Prediction for Essendon and Sheeds

One more year? To what point and what purpose?

Our list wasn't going to win a flag next year...maybe in 3-5 years time but not next year. Giving Sheedy one more year doesn't achieve anything what it does do is give our new coach who ever it may be one less year to work with

Re: Prediction for Essendon and Sheeds

I just don't see how you think that you will replace him with something better.

The guy was still moving the club forward and developing the list and yet your board was not satisfied ??

Essendon really don't understand what other clubs have gone through over the last 20 years.

The only thing I ever liked about Essendon was their colours and their coach, now I don't even like their colours.

I hope you pricks go down and stay down for a long time after this.

what a job he has done for this football club
i was in the car listening as it broke on SEN, was speechless then, and still speechless 10 hours later..words cannot describe what a marvel he has been, a massive job for whoever takes over

Playing the Dons wont be the same anymore...but I feel they are a club who needs reinvigoration - I think they know they might have a rough few years ahead unless they do it very smart like Hawthorn, and bring in someone with fresh ideas. Id have my money O'Donnell, maybe Voss.

I dont think the old fella is finished yet, eventually a crap club will put out the SOS for him to come coach them..and he will..hes that type of bloke!

I'm still in shock. I never thought this day will arrive.
Sheedy has seen Essendon through some enormous changes in the game. When he began, he was the sole coach and had another job; now they have a panel of full-time coaches. When he began there were 12 clubs, all based in Victoria; and games were played on suburban grounds.
The one constant in football, Sheedy coaching Essendon, has gone. Generations who have never known football without Sheeds in the Bomber coaching box will be faced with the unfamiliar sight of someone else in that job. Football won't be the same.

Sheedy was an innovator and a visionary; and one of the greatest coaches ever in the history of the game. He will be sadly missed.

From a Bomber fanatic in Sydney - thanks for everything Sheeds. Hold your head up, you have every right to be proud of what you have achieved for our club and our game.

He was your last good coach. We took your spot in the top 3 vic clubs not long after that.

You're probably right. One could argue that the 1980 premiership coached itself, with KB and Francis Bourke still playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheedy Sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back