• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

creamygoodness

All Australian
Sep 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is effectively the choice we had this off-season and we've chosen Sheridan & Sutcliffe. What say you? We had the chance to add a ready-to-go KPP who would have helped sure up our KP stocks while also adding a reigning AA to our backline and turned it down for another first round project and a guy who'll clog up our list for three years banking on some fleeting potential he will show in a handful of WAFL games before being delisted.

+$1million of cap space.

And from what Brisbane were asking for, it'd be Sheridan and Crozier.

This is effectively the choice we had this off-season and we've chosen Sheridan & Sutcliffe. What say you? We had the chance to add a ready-to-go KPP who would have helped sure up our KP stocks while also adding a reigning AA to our backline and turned it down for another first round project and a guy who'll clog up our list for three years banking on some fleeting potential he will show in a handful of WAFL games before being delisted.

To take another stance with the same hyperbole: we had the chance to take an over-priced bad attitude bogan who can ruck ok but has shown nothing as a KPF, and an over-the-hill downhill skier who plays well in a good team but chokes in the big games, or, 2 keen young guys, one of whom has already displayed elite athleticism and skills and another who will do anything to try and make the team.

To take another stance with the same hyperbole: we had the chance to take an over-priced bad attitude bogan who can ruck ok but has shown nothing as a KPF, and an over-the-hill downhill skier who plays well in a good team but chokes in the big games, or, 2 keen young guys, one of whom has already displayed elite athleticism and skills and another who will do anything to try and make the team.
Best. Post. Well.,. Not. Ever. But. A. Great. Post. Regardless.

I was thinking a similar thread so here are my thoughts

At best, at a real stretch, Clark's got 8 seasons but more likely 6 I'd say. If his injury situation gets better he could play maybe 150+ games but on current form and injuries in 6 seasons they will get about 80-100 games and he may be a game breaker but he is hardly proven.

On that and before seeing Sheridan play a game I'm definitely not going to vote against him theres not that much he has to live up to.

I'm not fazed about the Davis situation as he definitely isnt in any long term plans no matter how good he is atm. IMHO and looking at similar late draft picks that we have taken in recent yrs he would probly play more games for us than Sutcliffe but 1 bad injury and its all over so not unhappy about this either.

Not gonna bag the OP....but I'd actually prefer the two young fellas. I didn't really want neon Leon, would have liked Clark, but it all seemed a bit much and shows his true character when he ran for the dollars.

In bond we trust.

Sheridan, Sutcliffe and Crozier are all keen young talents that want to prove themselves. Leon and Mitch want to play but also want Freo or whoever else i.e. Melbourne to pay some over priced wage for their services with all the trimmings.

As far as Pitt vs Darling goes, over one year yes Darling would have been the better chioce imo, however, long term 3, 4, 5 years on Pitt may turn into the ball carrier Pendlebry is now and i'm sure no one would be winging about our draft selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't need to do this poll to know that 90% of you guys blindly agree with every decision this club makes. I just wanted to seriously discuss it because I think we missed two huge opportunities this off-season.

I didn't need to do this poll to know that 90% of you guys blindly agree with every decision this club makes. I just wanted to seriously discuss it because I think we missed two huge opportunities this off-season.

You are way off the mark, CG. if you read the draft thread you will see plenty of dissent. In fact, the board regularly goes into melt-down over things the club does. I think the main reason is that people don't agree with your assessment.

To make a slightly more reasonable argument, Leon is 30. He is not going to help us wn a flag, he is not going to be around for more than a year or two. He adds little to our club when the 30 or 40 games he plays could be put into a youngster.

Clark could have come to Freo if that is where he wanted to be. He opted for the dollar. I am very glad we didn't counter the bid from Melbourne. They paid significantly over market value for him. As a few people pointed out, we probably would have given away both picks 16 and 20 as well as a heap of money so it would have been Clark for Sherridan and Crozier , plus salary cap pressure for a player who is injury prone so far in his career and does not have any real form as a KPF. He is a good ruckmen but we have 2 of those including the best inthe league, plus a very good developing ruckman.

If you make your posts a little less exaggerated and a little more reasonable you will get a better reponse.

To make a slightly more reasonable argument, Leon is 30. He is not going to help us win a flag, he is not going to be around for more than a year or two. He adds little to our club when the 30 or 40 games he plays could be put into a youngster.
Technically you've just summed up Roger, Grover & McPhee. Why do we persist with players the same ilk that provide less of a role than a reigning AA could?

And what if it ended up being Clark + Davis vs Sheridan + Sutcliffe + Goddard?

Substitute Goddard for some other superstar if you want, but you can't ignore the truckload of cash difference between the original poll options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheridan & Sutcliffe vs Clark & Davis

Back