Should we match Goddard's Essendon offer (poll)?

Should we match Goddard's Essendon offer?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if BJ has the mental capacity to understand that having a little tanty and leaving the club because he wasn't made captain was the exact attitude that lead to him never being made captain in the first place... probably not.

I wonder if BJ has the mental capacity to understand that having a little tanty and leaving the club because he wasn't made captain was the exact attitude that lead to him never being made captain in the first place... probably not.
BJ had the mental capacity to know that the club he busted his gut for didn't want him.

I don't know about your mental capacity though, writing such BS.

BJ had the mental capacity to know that the club he busted his gut for didn't want him.
I'm pretty sure the contract we offered him indicated we wanted him a fair tad. He was selfish to ask for more.

Guess that doesn't count - people said the voting must have been flawed. The AFLCA votes must have been wrong as well.....

He also forgot to mention in 2012 Goddard averaged 24.4 poss - 8.2 contested (only behind Hayes & Dal Santo). So much for the 'receiver'

I mentioned contested posessions. -and mentioned that he's 5th behind Hayes, Dalsanto, Steven, and Montagna.
Our CP's are crap when you look at our best ( averaging 10 ) while the Dangerfields, Abletts, Watsons and Kennedy's of the league average 15+. Shit Andrew Carazzo averages 12.

Interesting is the talk that Monfries may go to Port as a free agent. Landing Goddard will mean that the Bombers get no compo for Monfries.

The most overwhelming FACT in all this is that a St Kilda Life Membership means 'jack-sqaut' in terms of currency in this day and age. The reward to recognise great service and loyalty is nothing more than a free ticket to future events rather than motivating the reciepient to maintain that loyalty for ever more.

Biggest waste in presenting it to him on B&F night, might as well just mailed it to him.

Pathetic

Most supporters were surprised to see him finish so high. Especially when Milne (AA FP) didn't make the top 10!!?

Strange voting scheme it seems.

BF posters viewed the year a little differently.

If Ablett averages the highest in a stat then that stat means jack shit. Cont Poss is just a modifier they add to marketed players' stats. It doesn't mean anything.

He played just about every game in 2012, no injuries to speak of and got what, 4 Brownlow votes ? Methinks the Bombers are paying way overs at $800k for an outside receiver who ponces around aggro every time he gets beaten to the ball. The Saints are on the right track. How many good players leave the Swans ? They just assemble a no frills squad with a blue collar work ethic who will bleed for their club. We would do well to follow suit and handballing BJ to the Bombers is a step in the right direction. Let's just hope we use the compo pick and other draft choices wisely.

It ain't all bad that BJ has decided to go. The future looks so bright

Thanks for the memories BJ.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...season-kicks-off/story-e6frg6n6-1226486144725

Brendon Goddard becomes a Bomber as trading season kicks off

313544-brendon-goddard.jpg

Brendon Goddard has quit St Kilda to join Essendon on a rich four-year deal. Picture: Jon Hargest Source: Herald Sun
IN a frantic start to the AFL's inaugural free agency period, St Kilda star Brendon Goddard has crossed to Essendon on a four-year contract worth well in excess of $3 million.
The Goddard deal was tabled by the Bombers yesterday morning and within four hours he was their player until the end of 2016, after the Saints decided not to match the offer.
St Kilda refused to budge on its three-year offer to Goddard, 27, which was also for less money than Essendon's successful bid. Fremantle attempted to lure the 2009 and 2010 All-Australian with a $3.4 million offer over four years, but his preference was to remain in Victoria.
Goddard is overseas on holiday and will join Essendon's pre-season training next month.
Bombers coach James Hird will today outline his plans for Goddard, who fuelled a move early this year by postponing contract negotiations until after the season.

St Kilda football director Chris Pelchen said his club was disappointed to lose Goddard, but the Saints were committed to a "team first" philosophy in relation to player contracts.
"We made a significant offer to Brendon that was relative to both his position and other players with the team," Pelchen said.
Goddard's agent, Dan Richardson, said his client felt the move was in the best interest of his career, also hinting that Essendon had a better chance of playing in finals than the Saints. "He made the move for a host of reasons," Richardson said. "We won't deny financial security is one of them, but obviously, he feels it's the right thing to do for his footy."Greenwood played just five games this year and Pederson two.

He played just about every game in 2012, no injuries to speak of and got what, 4 Brownlow votes ? Methinks the Bombers are paying way overs at $800k for an outside receiver who ponces around aggro every time he gets beaten to the ball. The Saints are on the right track. How many good players leave the Swans ? They just assemble a no frills squad with a blue collar work ethic who will bleed for their club. We would do well to follow suit and handballing BJ to the Bombers is a step in the right direction. Let's just hope we use the compo pick and other draft choices wisely.

Yeah you look at the Swans team and other than Goodes they don't really have any big name stars, just a good even hard working team. That seems to be what we're working at copying and is the right way to go about building a team capable of winning a premiership.

Two of our best wins this year against Essendon and Brisbane were when Goddard was suspended and a few people were starting to wonder then if we were better off without him. His poor attitude and lack of workrate and intensity were hindering the team rather than helping it. It's baffling how he finished so high in our B&F ahead of guys like Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Armitage, Steven, Geary and Milne who had better seasons and actually gave 100% every game.

If we can recruit a good young player like Caddy with our compensation pick I think we will be better off in the long run.

I reckon Lynch at the Suns would be a better get. Not convinced on Caddy at all.

I must admit I haven't seen much of Caddy, only going by the fact that everyone seems to be chasing him so I assume he must be good. I've seen a bit of Lynch and he looks like a good young key forward so would be happy with him too.

Pelchen did well at the last trade period and draft so hopefully he can do another good job this year and land some good young players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must admit I haven't seen much of Caddy, only going by the fact that everyone seems to be chasing him so I assume he must be good. I've seen a bit of Lynch and he looks like a good young key forward so would be happy with him too.

Pelchen did well at the last trade period and draft so hopefully he can do another good job this year and land some good young players.

Ive watched quite a few Suns games this year. I don't see the potential in Caddy. I think we stick with the round 1 picks. I think the Saints have picked up quite a few good young players in the last few years and high in the draft. ie. Simpkin, Siposs etc...

Biggest waste in presenting it to him on B&F night, might as well just mailed it to him.

Was good for me (in terms of learning what was going on). Until that point we'd been told :rolleyes: he was committed to staying. Once I heard his speech and then picked my jaw off the floor, I realised that there was a pretty good game going on and people have been "played".

Was kinda interesting to hear Watters sat his departure has been 12 months in the making.

Matching the offer would be the very worst thing to do. We had our offer, he wanted more. Ok then go. We will get a first round pick & a lot of space in our cap to trade or steal others.

But being seen as easy beats by player managers will get us in a postion where we are paying our full cap for spuds.

Nah I still don't think he had a season worthy of finishing top 4 in our B&F.

Tough season to rate:
4th in disposals
3rd in marks
good free kick count (26-17)
2 week suspension
7th in clearances
8th in inside 50's
3rd in rebound 50's
14th in 1%'ers
8th in tackles
11th in goals
3rd in goal assists

Watters said during the year that he needed to control his aggression, but that he'd played some selfless roles.

Will BJ give me a "honk, honk" if I catch him on the Westgate transporting sheep shit?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fo...on-goddard-a-job/story-fnelctok-1226486135691

Former Essendon chairman Ray Horsburgh told the club he would give Brendon Goddard a job.

Horsburgh, who is chairman of transport and logistics giant Toll, has confirmed the job offer.

Goddard joined the Bombers on a four-year deal after the Saints refused to match Essendon's lucrative offer of about $700,000 a season.

The Saints' offer was between $575,000 and $600,000 over three years.

Under AFL free-agency rules, third-party deals cannot be offered to help lure a player to a new club.

Watters "Any quality player is a loss. Whether it's a big loss or not probably is up for conjecture.

"If you measure it on Brendon's last two years of footy, it's probably been, by his own admission, middle of the road and mediocre by his own standards."

I mentioned contested posessions. -and mentioned that he's 5th behind Hayes, Dalsanto, Steven, and Montagna.
Our CP's are crap when you look at our best ( averaging 10 ) while the Dangerfields, Abletts, Watsons and Kennedy's of the league average 15+. Shit Andrew Carazzo averages 12.

Interesting is the talk that Monfries may go to Port as a free agent. Landing Goddard will mean that the Bombers get no compo for Monfries.

Yes sorry about that, you did mention the cont poss (actually 4th overall according to AFL site) You always respond without slamming people.
By the look of those stats, Saints mids need to work on CP.....

Had not thought about Ess maybe losing their compensation for Monfries, if he departs as a free agent.
Really the AFL should be giving some concessions (other than Vets list) to encourage long term players to remain rather than a pathway to leave.

Yes sorry about that, you did mention the cont poss (actually 4th overall according to AFL site) You always respond without slamming people.
By the look of those stats, Saints mids need to work on CP.....

Had not thought about Ess maybe losing their compensation for Monfries, if he departs as a free agent.
Really the AFL should be giving some concessions (other than Vets list) to encourage long term players to remain rather than a pathway to leave.

I wondered if that was why CJ continued to get a game while Ray continued to miss out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back