Should we take a stand against soccer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Get the feeling our friend 'Rex' started this thread to stir up some trouble and nothing more.

Regardless, I'll take a nibble and say that I hope you die the most painful death on earth you bogan piece of sh*t.

Picka ti materina, kurac jedan!

You mean the stadium that was built for rugby union?

Alright, that's pathetic. Those stadia were built for union, league, league and league respectively. Soccer clubs just happened to use them after the fact. Would you prefer that they not use them, and in the case of the last specifically, let it become a white elephant?

And for Christ's sake, Lang Park is a hundred ****ing years old. What, did the Brisbane Roar travel back to 1911 to demand that the stadium was built for them?
And the Melbourne Cricket Ground was built for .....er....oh yeah,- cricket! But strangely paid for by Australian Football. Same with the Gabba, Adelaide Oval, SCG and most of the Oval stadiums in the country. BTW the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium was not built for rugby union - there is no rugby union team in Melbourne. It was the soccer moguls who conned Bracks into forking out $280m in taxpayers money for a 30000 seat stadium - the rugby league people were far more reticent because they were worried they could never fill it.

Why is there so much animosity towards soccer, but not towards cricket? .

Cos cricket is a dinky-di Aussie blokes' sport!

But soccer is for shielas, wogs and ****ters!

There is no doubt they are after our territory and I've heard Robert Walls mention before that we should do everything in our power to ensure that soccer does not flourish.

In what ways could we do this taking into consideration they may be in for a windfall of government dollars over the next few years.
The AFL is doing the SAME THING in sydney and QLD, talk about double standards.....

??? Please explain .

I thought AFL was battling rl .

I must be wrong .

AFL isn't battling any other sport. We're only interested in growing our own game. AFL isn't denying other sports their right to exist, or looking to lock them out of grounds; only to increase the size and support of our game.

My bad, it was actually in Tasmania. Buckets of broken glass were spread on the pitch of North Hobart Oval the night before a Tasmania vs England game in 1951.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
Holding a grudge for 58 years can't be healthy.

But after trying a few Google searches, I haven't been able to find a credible source that proves that
a) it happened and
b) the VFL/Tasmania Football League was responsible.

My bad, it was actually in Tasmania. Buckets of broken glass were spread on the pitch of North Hobart Oval the night before a Tasmania vs England game in 1951.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Football has had negative things done to it as well. We get on with it.

The match achieved the desired effect and in June 1880, Australian football supporters met at Woollahra to discuss a new league. The Sydney Mail's football writer said "that there are scores of footballers ... who play the Rugby game under protest as it were, and who would gladly welcome a radical change in the present method of playing football." A week later, over 100 footballers formed the New South Wales Football Association (NSWFA) to play the Australian game.

While Australian football was popular, rugby union had powerful friends, and it used its friends to have the NSWFA banned from Sydney's enclosed grounds. Without gate money to spend on promotion or to pay players, the NSWFA collapsed in 1893

http://www.convictcreations.com/football/battleafl.html

It'd be good if the AFL destroyed rugby league or at least turned it into a state competition.

I don't know what the Melbourne Storm are doing here. There aren't any Melbourne players in the entire comp.

Why exactly does not liking soccer have to be racially motivated?

Exactly. It's becoming politically incorrect to say you don't like soccer in modern Australia which is something the Lowy regime has created.

The media pander to soccer by calling it football or soccer slash football when they are under no obligation to do so.

It's great that we have many football codes to follow in OZ I just want them to operate on a level playing field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. It's becoming politically incorrect to say you don't like soccer in modern Australia which is something the Lowy regime has created.

The media pander to soccer by calling it football or soccer slash football when they are under no obligation to do so.

It's great that we have many football codes to follow in OZ I just want them to operate on a level playing field.

It's like we're not allowed not to like soccer .
Because soccer doesn't appeal to me I get criticized all the time
yet I like a lot of other sports including other football codes .

Plenty of us have also worn our fair share of potshots for being supporters of both Aussie Rules and Association Football...

Plenty of us have also worn our fair share of potshots for being supporters of both Aussie Rules and Association Football...

I've never called anyone a racist based solely on the fact they like a different football code. Which is precisely what you and others did earlier in this and other threads.

That sort of negativity is what drives people like me into anti-soccer crowd and away from the "just let them do their thing, they aren't hurting anyone" crowd.

Anyone who wants another sporting code to fail is a moron, end of story. Don't like it? Don't watch it. Other people enjoy following the A-League, myself included.

Why exactly does not liking soccer have to be racially motivated?

Its not. But this thread is not about 'not liking soccer', it is about turning it into a battle and driving it from our shores. It about blokes who are threatened by change and anything that represents it, such as soccer.

THAT draws enormous parallels to the old days and the attitude the 'white Aussie' majority traditionally showed to the 'immigrants and their wog game'.

It's like we're not allowed not to like soccer .
Because soccer doesn't appeal to me I get criticized all the time
yet I like a lot of other sports including other football codes .

You are obviously not enlightened enough to be able to appreciate the skill and excitement which is Dodgeball....Oh! You said soccer.

Yes it is a bit like the emperors new clothes or religious faith.

It is a great and skilful game because they say so and you have been told it is and that's all you need to know.:D

You seriously think that the AFL are at some sort of disadvantage, don't you?

Soccer cops it from the media far more than the AFL does.

It is a great and skilful game because they say so and you have been told it is and that's all you need to know.:D

This.

What a PR machine that game has, and its fans spout it for free.

It is impossible to not like soccer... if you don't, it is because you are a backward simpleton, unable to appreciate the majesty of a sublime game that is the sporting equivalent of a Mozart concerto or a Michelangelo painting.

It's almost like fois gras... I am not going to pretend to like it just because sophisticated types sing its praises.

It tastes like shit, and IMO, so does soccer.

You are obviously not enlightened enough to be able to appreciate the skill and excitement which is Dodgeball....Oh! You said soccer.

Yes it is a bit like the emperors new clothes or religious faith.

:rolleyes:

More sarcasm, how about providing something worthwhile??

Its pretty simple really, dont like the sport, ignore it.

I dont like League, I dont particularly like American Football either. I just dont watch them, I dont post threads calling on people to 'take a stand' against them...

Sick of this 'us against them' attitude.

:rolleyes:

More sarcasm, how about providing something worthwhile??

Its pretty simple really, dont like the sport, ignore it.

I think that was Pie_Eyed's point.

I don't think he has any problem with "to each their own"... just the ridiculous air of superiority that FIFA regurgitates, and its fans sycophantically swallow and excrete.

It's almost like fois gras... I am not going to pretend to like it just because sophisticated types sing its praises.

Then don't? No-one is attacking you because you don't like soccer, and if you think that then you have pretty big persecution complex.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we take a stand against soccer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back