Review Showdown 56

Remove this Banner Ad

Previous showdowns and finals he hadn't set the world on fire.
previous 2 showdowns 32+ disposals and most socre invlomvents on ground in both (dont quote me on that, just from memory, point is he always shows up in showdowns since moving into midfield round 4 of 2023. your finals argument i completely agree with, and thats saying something as im literally the biggest butters fan

42 possies is great but, if we had lost that, he would have been crucified for his shanking three or four shots at goal. Needs to nail those set shots come finals time

Last edited:
My thoughts b4 I read anyone else's -
Wow we made tough work of that. Forward line dysfunctional. Killed in the air most of the night. Stopped our run for over half of the game. Same lazy players not performing until late in game.

Very happy with the win (if we'd lost would have been ropeable) but just can't see this team getting it done in finals. JHF first half, Butters second half were excellent. Not sure how it pans out with a fit Rankine. We still probably win but no certainty.

Wow we made tough work of that. Forward line dysfunctional. Killed in the air most of the night. Stopped our run for over half of the game. Same lazy players not performing until late in game.

Very happy with the win (if we'd lost would have been ropeable) but just can't see this team getting it done in finals. JHF first half, Butters second half were excellent. Not sure how it pans out with a fit Rankine. We still probably win but no certainty.

Yeah have absolute no faith in the finals , making the gf from here is less then 5 %

Part of the reason our forward line is dysfunctional is that we have 2 starting tall forwards and a reserve tall forward out, as well as our best pressure small. This means we are playing 2 of our early season tall defenders as forwards. We need to get Mitch back at least, but hopefully Marshall in form by finals too.

Part of the reason our forward line is dysfunctional is that we have 2 starting tall forwards and a reserve tall forward out, as well as our best pressure small. This means we are playing 2 of our early season tall defenders as forwards. We need to get Mitch back at least, but hopefully Marshall in form by finals too.
We miss Georgie badly as he plays as a genuine forward. Marshall in form is hopeful & way from a certainty (not thru lack of talent though). We need certainty not hope to win numerous finals. Rat has played better as a forward than defender. He's way too unpredictable down back. We don't have enough dependable players in our forward line. Its been a big problem for so long.

Wonder if Rachele will get done for biting????

yJOCLZa.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That old man Healy was the most pro-Crows commentator out there when we had the Crows Director of Football in the same commentary booth tells you just how fecked AFL TV commentating is in 2024.
Their job is to call the game impartially. They are a disgrace & should be sacked for failing to do their job.

I thought Bergman played pretty well, and has been one of the big reasons for our improvement in the backline over the past month or so.

He is extremely versatile and has ability to contest against key position players in the air but also has the speed and ability to counter some of the smaller forwards too.

Tonight I felt he popped up frequently when we needed him, and read the play really well.

Between him, Jones and Evans we now seem to have the pace to cover when an opposition team threatens to get out the back, which was lacking earlier in the year.
His pace is so important & he uses it so well to cover defend. Was really disappointed in Logans game tonight. Have loved him every other game hes played, hope it's just a one off poor game.

So I've just read everyone's comments & mine stand out as being more negative. Pre-game I thought we would win by 4+ goals given our recent form. We still have too many weaknesses but so do most of the top 8 teams. Weird year, no standout teams atm with standard of footy quite low atm. Pre-match rain made conditions tougher but both sides looked pretty ordinary with the exception of a few brilliant performances. Was fantastic to win a Showdown though, exhausting but fantastic. Credit to the players for getting over the line. Might shut up a few mouthy Crows supporters.

The hard edge was hard too. Not show pony stuff. JHF, Butters, Rozee, Dixon, Drew - when they scrimmaged, there was an old tough 1980s-1990s Port Magpies spirit to them. It was heartening to see. There was a maturity about their physicality. Loved it.

Dare I say what Boak, Gray and Wines prime lacked when they were the main core though it was good to see Boak with angry pills tonight.

No history? I've been told by cow supporters they have been around since 1860

Since 1837. They simply didn’t have a football department for 150 years.
IMG_7967.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Showdown 56

Remove this Banner Ad

Back