Sick of defending the MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night was, I believe, the worst football we have played in the last 6 seasons. And that is saying something.
It really wasn't. It was just frustrating. 186 was far worse.

You have to feel for the young footballers getting recruited by MFC. Scully is testament to that.

It should be an issue for the AFLPA - year in, year out, Melbourne FC fail their draftees.

Spineless management by a Melbourne-centric AFL see too many underperforming Melbourne teams & no team from Tas, for generations a VFL raping ground.

Why do Vic team fans squib this reality? Self preservation?

It should be an issue for the AFLPA - year in, year out, Melbourne FC fail their draftees.

Spineless management by a Melbourne-centric AFL see too many underperforming Melbourne teams & no team from Tas, for generations a VFL raping ground.

Have we failed McDonald, Frawley, Trengove, Jones etc. Whats with your baseless Melbourne hatred?

They've also failed their supporters and millions of TV viewers have been cruelly subjected to the rubbish they constantly dish up.

I agree that we haven't developed players well, but Trengove will be a very good player. His first two years were terrific and while he's down this year he's still only 20. Have you ever seen Bartel's, Hayes', Boyd's, Watson's or Swan's stats in their third year ? And plenty of others.

And learn how to spell his name, dolt.
He/she will probably agree to if you agree to learn the correct use of the apostrophe :rolleyes:

This will probably sound arrogant, but I genuinely don't intend it to.

One of the great things about following the Swans is being part of such a well-run club. They really are exemplary in every respect.

I don't know what it is we do right, and I'm sure Swans management aren't about to hand out their hard-earned tricks of the trade to anyone, but I seriously think a lot of clubs need a focus on trying to figure out what they can learn from the Sydney model, and adapt it to theirs.

Original poster is of course welcome to jump ship and become a Swans member; after all, we've taken enough reject players from other clubs and found gold, why not supporters? Plus you'll have 10,000 for company at games in Melbourne.

(Only condition being you can't go back.)

Keep your head up mate. The down times will make the good times even sweeter.

yeah but they've been waiting a very long time...who knows when their time will come or if it will at all,same as footscray.I don't feel sorry for any team,i used to but if the shoe was on the other foot no one would feel sorry for us.So i don't anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah but they've been waiting a very long time...who knows when their time will come or if it will at all,same as footscray.I don't feel sorry for any team,i used to but if the shoe was on the other foot no one would feel sorry for us.So i don't anymore.
The way I see it is if you love your club then you can't give up on them. All clubs suffer tough times, obviously some more than others, but you just have to persevere. Maybe it is just me, but I certainly wouldn't kick a club when they are down like Melbourne are at the moment, even though they have embarrassed my club in the last couple of years. Bit of humility doesn't hurt.

One of the great things about following the Swans is being part of such a well-run club. They really are exemplary in every respect.

I don't know what it is we do right, and I'm sure Swans management aren't about to hand out their hard-earned tricks of the trade to anyone, but I seriously think a lot of clubs need a focus on trying to figure out what they can learn from the Sydney model, and adapt it to theirs.

Original poster is of course welcome to jump ship and become a Swans member; after all, we've taken enough reject players from other clubs and found gold, why not supporters? Plus you'll have 10,000 for company at games in Melbourne.

Yeah i like the swans.Just keep to business and don't worry about anyone else.If we don't win it this year i'd like to see the swans get up.It'd be their second premiership in 70 Odd years,they deserve it.Especially after not tanking.I have massive respect for them,even though i go on about other teams like a lunatic sometimes its all in good fun. And i really like paul roos and have a massive amount of respect for him even if he's not at sydney anymore. He is a top bloke.

I love the way Sydney is run. Most clubs think that recruiting players from other clubs makes them look cheap and unoriginal, but many factors can come into why a player hasn't succeeded in his previous club such as competition for spots, location of the team, relationship with coaches/team mates, and others. Just look at how hey have turned around the careers of Mumford, Kennedy, Richards, Shaw, McGlynn and Mattner. All players who just had no confidence at their old clubs, have been backed by their new club and our now part of a team top of the table and most of those guys are AA calibre players.

Clubs could really learn from the Swans way of thinking. Although didn't Paul Roos say he took a lot of his ideas off Billy Beane's team?

The way I see it is if you love your club then you can't give up on them. All clubs suffer tough times, obviously some more than others, but you just have to persevere. Maybe it is just me, but I certainly wouldn't kick a club when they are down like Melbourne are at the moment, even though they have embarrassed my club in the last couple of years. Bit of humility doesn't hurt.

I do agree with you.Melbourne supporters have been dealt a tough hand and its good to see that they stick with their team and i was only stirring i'm sure their time will come soon enough.But i am sure they don't want to be pitied.They want to be hated.I know when collingwood were down i didn't want to be pitied.Thats the worst feeling there is.I love that other supporters hate us that much that they don't pity us,they hate us and are wrapped with a win against us because they beat a good side.We'll be down again eventually and melbourne will be up. I'm just enjoying it while we are up.

I do agree with you.Melbourne supporters have been dealt a tough hand and its good to see that they stick with their team and i was only stirring i'm sure their time will come soon enough.But i am sure they don't want to be pitied.They want to be hated.I know when collingwood were down i didn't want to be pitied.Thats the worst feeling there is.I love that other supporters hate us that much that they don't pity us,they hate us and are wrapped with a win against us because they beat a good side.We'll be down again eventually and melbourne will be up. I'm just enjoying it while we are up.
That's fair enough. I'm just not into kicking a team while they are at their lowest, unless it's Carlton of course. :p

Sydney refused to bottom out during that streak of years where they were good enough to win an EF and bad enough to lose the SF, instead targeting recycled players and Melbourne decided to bottom out and tank and wait for the holy grail to arrive in the form of top 5 picks.

It's a fairly interesting comparison to be had and maybe there is such a thing as a winning culture.

Oh, and the Longmire apprenticeship under Roos has clearly worked wonders.

It really wasn't. It was just frustrating. 186 was far worse.

186 was more the absence of football. This was just a cup of hot fat with a hair in it.

If it's any consolation, watching last night's game my overriding thought was "Howe did we get Dunn by these guys?" Internal puns and all.

Sydney refused to bottom out during that streak of years where they were good enough to win an EF and bad enough to lose the SF, instead targeting recycled players and Melbourne decided to bottom out and tank and wait for the holy grail to arrive in the form of top 5 picks.

It's a fairly interesting comparison to be had and maybe there is such a thing as a winning culture.

Oh, and the Longmire apprenticeship under Roos has clearly worked wonders.

Yes, thanks for him, and Wayne Schwass.

Your team brought shame and disgrace to an entire city.

Your team's wretched culture destroyed the reputations, future employment prospects and, in a couple of cases, the lives of a number of young men.

As a West Coast supporter, you should have the humility and grace to recognize the damage your club did to our game and to my state, and accordingly be appropriately humble when talking about struggling teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sick of defending the MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back