Lapp_46

Senior List
May 30, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Storm
I think its a real slap in the face that Sam Jacobs, a player overlooked in the 2007 National draft is getting a game in front of Shaun Hampson, Selected top 20 in the 2006 national draft. I know he picked up the game late, but he should really be further progressed than Jacobs. For the first time i am slightly worried whether Hampson has the footy smarts and coordination to be a top level ruckman. maybe im just over reacting??

I think its a real slap in the face that Sam Jacobs, a player overlooked in the 2007 National draft is getting a game in front of Shaun Hampson, Selected top 20 in the 2006 national draft. I know he picked up the game late, but he should really be further progressed than Jacobs. For the first time i am slightly worried whether Hampson has the footy smarts and coordination to be a top level ruckman. maybe im just over reacting??

Think your over-reacting , this is a nice kick up the bum for him.

Maybe its still too early to worry, however i still think he should be far enough in his progression that he should be getting a game tonight instead of a younger rookie.

So you think he deserves a game ahead of Jacobs?

I don't think he does

If he goes away and sulks about it then we don't need his kind on our list

If he goes away and works on what he has been asked to work on then he will improve and find a position in the team

From all reports he isn't the crying kind of guy and will work on his deficiencies

He did have his chances last year

Carlton can't just play him because he has been on the list longer

So you think he deserves a game ahead of Jacobs?

I don't think he does

If he goes away and sulks about it then we don't need his kind on our list

If he goes away and works on what he has been asked to work on then he will improve and find a position in the team

From all reports he isn't the crying kind of guy and will work on his deficiencies

He did have his chances last year

Carlton can't just play him because he has been on the list longer

I never said i think he deserves a game ahead of Jacobs. I just said he should be further advanced than Jacobs... and at the minute he isnt.

Good...if it is!

this is great... we have depth now.. and our past decent 22 get no more easy rides.. they must work for it!

for example these could be considered slaps and so they should be!

Garlett V Yarran : SLAP
Robinson V Bentick/Armfield/Browne: SLAP
Joseph V Bannister/Armfield/Browne: SLAP
Wiggins V Fisher/Hartlett/Edwards: SLAP

etc etc etc

Unless you're Judd, Fev, Stevens, Simpson, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Thornton, Scotland and Jamison... the rest of the mob know to get a game they must perform during training and the 2's... look at Geelong and Hawks... some good kids/players not making it to the ones... now our team does not only need to compete with the other 15 clubs.. they need to compete within the club.. and that is awesome.

Plus the improvement such slapping will promote... when it comes to trade time... some of these fringe 22 players will have worked hard enough to be worth a 2nd round pick as opposed to in the past maybe a 3rd/4th rounder!

WIN WIN!

Rather than look at Hampson and get down about how he is going, you should get excited about Sauce, and how much he has progressed.

Hampson jumps well, moves well, and is lightening quick. What he lacks, but is getting much much better at in his two seasons, is any idea of where to run and how to jump to mark the ball like a footballer (protecting his space and bracing for contact) rather than a soccer header (jump straight up and use you reach to win the header expecting minimal contact).

Jacobs is a footballer. His body is starting to let him move around the ground to become a better footballer, so in the ruck stakes he is ahead of Hampson. Hampson will go ahead of Jacobs in 2 years IMO, as he progresses with his footy smarts and skills, his athleticism will take him well past Sauce.

In the Cats game pre-season I was impressed with Hammer for a couple of things. One was the way he statred moving around the ground. Playing as a forward is very instinctive, and his instincts took him to the right spot a number of times......just needed to do more with his body to protect the ball drop when he got there. The other was the way he was pushing Ottens around at throw ins. Not bad for a kid.

We should be thankful that Jacobs has emerged to put more pressure on Kreuzer, Warnock and Hampson to improve. It can only be good for our club in the next few years.:thumbsu:

When it comes to drafting ruckman it's alot more of a gamble then most people think. Normally their might be at the most 2 or 3 standout ruckman in a draft (Fraser, Kruezer, Luenberger, Natuini, Vickery, etc), and then after that most of the ruckman are quite level. Some of the best ruckman have come late in the draft of rookie list like Sandilands, Jolly and Simmonds

Ruckman also take alot more time to develop so I wouldn't be getting too impatient just yet.

When it comes to drafting ruckman it's alot more of a gamble then most people think. Normally their might be at the most 2 or 3 standout ruckman in a draft (Fraser, Kruezer, Luenberger, Natuini, Vickery, etc), and then after that most of the ruckman are quite level. Some of the best ruckman have come late in the draft of rookie list like Sandilands, Jolly and Simmonds

Ruckman also take alot more time to develop so I wouldn't be getting too impatient just yet.

Surely you must be impatient with Simmonds?

When is he going to come on you think?

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Slap in the face for Hampson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back