Slobbos top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

This is how I rate the players going into next season - not ratings for the year.

1- Neale
2-Daicos
3-Bont
4-Heeney
5- Cripps
6- Petracca
7- Hogan
8- Serong
9- Cameron
10- Weitering
11- Merrett
12- Green
13- Stewart
14- Gulden
15- Butters
16- Sheezel
17- Newcombe
18- N Anderson
19- Rozee
20- Curnow
21- Brayshaw
22- Mcgovern
23- Gawn
24- Holmes
25- Warner
26- JHF
27- Young
28- Dy Moore
29- J Sicily
30- I Rankine
31- S Walsh
32- H Andrews
33- M Rowell
34- S Darcy
35- Stengle
36- Blakey
37- R Marshall
38- N Larkey
39- T Greene
40- K Pickett
41- J Dawson
42- LDU
43- L Jackson
44- H Mcluggage
45- A Treloar
46- W Ashcroft
47- O Allen
48- J Steele
49- H Reid
50- JUH
Will Day?

Since 2003 where it’s been awarded. The award is based off of the best player inside their first two seasons, counting the votes they get across that time. However, there is no age or game limit, so a first year player could win this if they have more votes than the rest eligible, both Newcombe and Daicos got all of their votes in 2022.
Hmmmm.

Looking at the award there are no specific rules around whether it is restricted to only 2nd year players, aside from the comment 'in recognition of the player based on performances in his first two seasons of AFL Football' - which led me to conclude it was in fact restricted to second year players only.

I'm not sure they'd considered the possibility of a First Year Player polling more Coaches votes than every player who is in their second year in the system, and I doubt they would have awarded it to Daicos two years running had he have polled more votes than Newcombe in 2022.

Hmmmm.

Looking at the award there are no specific rules around whether it is restricted to only 2nd year players, aside from the comment 'in recognition of the player based on performances in his first two seasons of AFL Football' - which led me to conclude it was in fact restricted to second year players only.

I'm not sure they'd considered the possibility of a First Year Player polling more Coaches votes than every player who is in their second year in the system, and I doubt they would have awarded it to Daicos two years running had he have polled more votes than Newcombe in 2022.

Could just mean you can't win it in your second year?

Whoever came second to Daicos in 2023 likely would have just ended up the winner.

Still just speculating however.

Re: Newcombe. Hawthorn has been off Broadway in regards to prime time exposure and finals for pretty much the duration of his whole career to this point.
I don't necessarily begrudge opposition supporters who still don't rate him, however hopefully they all saw his performances in our 2 finals this year and realised what we've been praising about him since early 2022.

Hmmmm.

Not that this is the best source of info on the matter, but wikipedia has it worded like:

"Awarded to the best player inside the first two seasons of their AFL careers based on the weekly AFLCA Player of the Year votes."

Which suggests to me that you are only eligible in your first two years, but you are awarded it through votes in that particular year, not accumulative of both years. That said, looking at past winners, every single one has won it in their second season so it's possible it is. Not that the AFL would be transparent on these kind of things.

If it is the case of both years, then Newcombe winning it based on one season alone is even more impressive!

I don't necessarily begrudge opposition supporters who still don't rate him, however hopefully they all saw his performances in our 2 finals this year and realised what we've been praising about him since early 2022.
Pretty strange for a Dogs fan not to rate him, given he's absolutely destroyed them in 2 of the last 3 games.

Clearly you didn't watch any Hawks games this year... including the Elimination Final where he was BOG.

Started the first month slowly, but his improvement from there was a massive reason for our run up the ladder.
I love duke rate him highly I think it’s more position on the list.
Thought Brayshaw shaded him in 2024 but he didn’t make the top 30

Hmmmm.

Had Daicos won it the first time with enough coaches votes in one season he would’ve been eligible. Newcombe did all of his in one season despite playing a couple the year prior. Not sure about back to back because it’s never happened and the rules aren’t available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hit us with your Top 5.

I'm keen to see who you leave out from Daicos, Bont, Cripps, Heeney and Neale. Then you have players like Butters, Serong, Andrews, Taylor, Greene, Cameron, Curnow, Gulden, Warner, Merrett, Gawn, etc.

Of the named you mentioned...

Gawn
Cripps
Sheezel
Naicos
Heeney

Happy with that.

If i could pick anyone to bring to the saints then it's Sheezel or Naicos.

When i read Robbos top 50 (quick look) my initial reaction was how is Naicos so high and Sheezel so low. There is nothing between them imo.

Had Daicos won it the first time with enough coaches votes in one season he would’ve been eligible. Newcombe did all of his in one season despite playing a couple the year prior. Not sure about back to back because it’s never happened and the rules aren’t available.
How do you know 'Daicos would have been eligible'?

Newcombe was indeed a second year player, regardless of the fact he failed to poll Coaches votes in hirst first year.

As I said, my reading of the Award is 'based on his performances in his first two seasons of football' suggest to me Daicos would not have been eligible after his first season.

But as you said, the rules aren't available.

Actually... here we go - 'Newcombe polled 44 votes over the last two seasons finishing ten votes ahead of Sydney Swan’s Errol Gulden who ended with 34 votes. Geelong young defender Sam De Koning finished in third place.'

1. Newcombe - 44 votes
2. Gulden - 34 votes
3. De Koning - 21 votes

Daicos polling 30 votes in 2022 indicates a first year player is not eligible.

Of the named you mentioned...

Gawn
Cripps
Sheezel
Naicos
Heeney

Happy with that.

If i could pick anyone to bring to the saints then it's Sheezel or Naicos.

When i read Robbos top 50 (quick look) my initial reaction was how is Naicos so high and Sheezel so low. There is nothing between them imo.
Would they be the first two players you'd bring to the Saints because they have another 10 to 12 years ahead of them?

We are talking about the best players in the game right now.

Sheezel is a gun, but right now, there are surely about 20 ahead of him.

How do you know 'Daicos would have been eligible'?

Newcombe was indeed a second year player, regardless of the fact he failed to poll Coaches votes in hirst first year.

As I said, my reading of the Award is 'based on his performances in his first two seasons of football' suggest to me Daicos would not have been eligible after his first season.

But as you said, the rules aren't available.

Actually... here we go - 'Newcombe polled 44 votes over the last two seasons finishing ten votes ahead of Sydney Swan’s Errol Gulden who ended with 34 votes. Geelong young defender Sam De Koning finished in third place.'

1. Newcombe - 44 votes
2. Gulden - 34 votes
3. De Koning - 21 votes

Daicos polling 30 votes in 2022 indicates a first year player is not eligible.
It didn’t specifically state that he was ineligible, it simply states that it’s a player within their first two seasons and it’s votes from the season you win the award. It’s likely just a poor wording. Albeit Daicos wouldn’t of won even if he was eligible, so quite irrelevant.

It didn’t specifically state that he was ineligible, it simply states that it’s a player within their first two seasons and it’s votes from the season you win the award. It’s likely just a poor wording. Albeit Daicos wouldn’t of won even if he was eligible, so quite irrelevant.
Huh?

De Koning came 3rd, with fewer votes than Daicos - which means a first year player is ineligible for the award....

1. Paddy Cripps
2. Nick Daicos
3. Isaac Heeney
4. The Bont
5. Jesse Hogan
6. Lachie Neale
7. Zak Butters
8. Caleb Serong
9. Tom Green
10. Joe Daniher
11. Jai Newcombe
12. Errol Gulden