SNFL Div 1 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Righto who's the historian on this thread?

East Malvern currently 0-16 and I can't see them getting close in the remaining fixtures. When and who were the last team to go through a full Division 1 season winless?

It's probably more recent than I think but nothing is coming to mind.

In all honesty I can't see the panthers getting back to Div 1 for at least 3-4 years. The club needs a complete clean out and a new beginning.
Apparently the old firm with the money have withdrawn after the coach chapman was appointed and the players never took to him. I'm told the president had blind faith in chapman and it has ruined the clubs culture. Committee members, players and supporters alike have abandoned the club. The fish rots at the head is a saying that comes to mind.

Apparently the old firm with the money have withdrawn after the coach chapman was appointed and the players never took to him. I'm told the president had blind faith in chapman and it has ruined the clubs culture. Committee members, players and supporters alike have abandoned the club. The fish rots at the head is a saying that comes to mind.
Think the money was coming to an end anyway and had nothing to do with the coach .
Bigger investments in the ponies means their focus is elsewhere.
Still a long way back for them .
Money dried up , no coach, key players moving on and no juniors .

Few missing from the last game vs Chelt, earlier in the year it was a good contest/game.

Game plan is definitely suited to the bigger grounds as opposed to the smaller ones.
Only 15 points in round 4 when fox kicked 9.
Totally different now with hunt in defence. Big ground suits us.

Think the money was coming to an end anyway and had nothing to do with the coach .

Hopefully the double drop is not on the cards. Would just about be the end of the club if they were to go down again in 2023.

St Pauls are having a great year but Chelt had injuries from pre Season games and lost first 2 and since won 14 straight, Cranbourne have injuries and won’t get players back for Finals so every Club cops it

Yes every club cops injuries, i was just referring to the last time Chelt met St Pauls that was all.

East Malvern share a name and a ground with one of the biggest junior clubs in the state. Their Auskick program alone has about 600 kids. Notwithstanding many are private school kids and drift into the ammos, surely they could get some sort of pathway going.

East Malvern share a name and a ground with one of the biggest junior clubs in the state. Their Auskick program alone has about 600 kids. Notwithstanding many are private school kids and drift into the ammos, surely they could get some sort of pathway going.

The junior club would love nothing more than to see the unaffiliated senior club disappear into the wilderness. It has been that way for a very long time.

Two way street I'll also point out, the senior club hasn't exactly endeared itself on the junior football club.

Strange comment given the club were sitting 2HD and 4th the two interrupted years dueCOVID hit including wins against pretty good teams. Not sure coach or money .They lost some key players this year due to retirements and better offers from other clubs.

The junior club would love nothing more than to see the unaffiliated senior club disappear into the wilderness. It has been that way for a very long time.

Two way street I'll also point out, the senior club hasn't exactly endeared itself on the junior football club.

It's a shame when you see this between a senior and a junior club.

St Paul's wasn't too dissimilar, whilst we had a good working relationship with the juniors it never was that strong.

Last year we amalgamated the two, had the junior club change from the Demons to the Dogs and share the same jumper.

Senior players attend juniour trainings and awards nights etc.

It's been great to ensure younger guys and girls associate with the senior club early so that we have every chance to retain them in the future.

2023 hopefully is the first under 19's at St Paul's for quite some time.

It's a shame when you see this between a senior and a junior club.

St Paul's wasn't too dissimilar, whilst we had a good working relationship with the juniors it never was that strong.

Last year we amalgamated the two, had the junior club change from the Demons to the Dogs and share the same jumper.

Senior players attend juniour trainings and awards nights etc.

It's been great to ensure younger guys and girls associate with the senior club early so that we have every chance to retain them in the future.

2023 hopefully is the first under 19's at St Paul's for quite some time.
Correct me if I'm wrong but did St Pauls enter an under 19s team last season but pulled the plug on the team the week of round 1?
But would be great to have a 19s up and running. Whats with the hatred between east malvern seniors and juniors? Reminds me of east brighton...
I know clubs like Bentleigh Highett,Murrumbeena and st bedes have great relationships with their junior clubs, and in turn have a consistent pathway from junior to senior footy.
Sfnl still needs to address it's 19s system. Enforce every Div 1 side to have 2-3 seasons to get one up and running or salary cap restrictions.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but did St Pauls enter an under 19s team last season but pulled the plug on the team the week of round 1?
But would be great to have a 19s up and running. Whats with the hatred between east malvern seniors and juniors? Reminds me of east brighton...
I know clubs like Bentleigh Highett,Murrumbeena and st bedes have great relationships with their junior clubs, and in turn have a consistent pathway from junior to senior footy.
Sfnl still needs to address it's 19s system. Enforce every Div 1 side to have 2-3 seasons to get one up and running or salary cap restrictions.

I wouldn't say it's a hatred, a relationship has barely existed since the junior club moved to Dunlop reserve almost 30 years ago. The only tangible connection was joint representation (with the cricket club) on the now defunct Malvern Sports Club (MSC) that controlled and operated the upstairs area of the rooms.

Without going into each others dirty laundry the relationship soured quite quickly and as the junior football club grew and became self sufficient financially, the dependency on the senior club as a feeder quickly eradicated.

The kids that play at East Malvern Junior football club, the majority are enrolled in private schools from year 7 or earlier. The alignment then goes directly to the Old Boys club that the student attends. The connection with the senior football club that was never present has no chance of connecting.

Financially the junior club would put the majority of senior clubs in the SFL to shame, East Malvern senior football club would be a major contender if a connection had been fostered and matured over time. Unfortunately for East Malvern senior football club, the ship has already sailed.

I wouldn't say it's a hatred, a relationship has barely existed since the junior club moved to Dunlop reserve almost 30 years ago. The only tangible connection was joint representation (with the cricket club) on the now defunct Malvern Sports Club (MSC) that controlled and operated the upstairs area of the rooms.

Without going into each others dirty laundry the relationship soured quite quickly and as the junior football club grew and became self sufficient financially, the dependency on the senior club as a feeder quickly eradicated.

The kids that play at East Malvern Junior football club, the majority are enrolled in private schools from year 7 or earlier. The alignment then goes directly to the Old Boys club that the student attends. The connection with the senior football club that was never present has no chance of connecting.

Financially the junior club would put the majority of senior clubs in the SFL to shame, East Malvern senior football club would be a major contender if a connection had been fostered and matured over time. Unfortunately for East Malvern senior football club, the ship has already sailed.

I always thought the reason behind the change from tooronga malvern to east malvern for the senior club was to foster better relationships with the juniors? Seems like it didn’t work/wasn’t enough

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have forfeited at least 4 times this year
There 2nds have forfeited the last 2 weeks and a few weeks back Mordy gave them a couple of players so they could play, so no at least 4 times is incorrect. I spoke to someone last night who is involved with the club and he said the 15 years he has been involved with the club, he has never seen so many long term injuries , and they were topping up with mates etc etc but unfortunately that has become to hard the last 2 weeks. Certainly not a good look and something the club needs to rectify next year. They just fell short of getting a u/18’s up and running this year. The positive is they will next year as that group of kids were the u/9’s when they started up junior football again. And watch this space as they have made a massive signing next year which is going to be fantastic for them and the league also. This doesn’t make the last 2 weeks better but they did tell the opposition 4/5 days beforehand that there magoo’s won’t have the numbers . So they maybe could organise a game between themselves or something similar . Anyway had a look at Cheltenham the other week and there my pick to finally get that div1 premiership they have been chasing for a long time.

There 2nds have forfeited the last 2 weeks and a few weeks back Mordy gave them a couple of players so they could play, so no at least 4 times is incorrect. I spoke to someone last night who is involved with the club and he said the 15 years he has been involved with the club, he has never seen so many long term injuries , and they were topping up with mates etc etc but unfortunately that has become to hard the last 2 weeks. Certainly not a good look and something the club needs to rectify next year. They just fell short of getting a u/18’s up and running this year. The positive is they will next year as that group of kids were the u/9’s when they started up junior football again. And watch this space as they have made a massive signing next year which is going to be fantastic for them and the league also. This doesn’t make the last 2 weeks better but they did tell the opposition 4/5 days beforehand that there magoo’s won’t have the numbers . So they maybe could organise a game between themselves or something similar . Anyway had a look at Cheltenham the other week and there my pick to finally get that div1 premiership they have been chasing for a long time.
Josh caddy ???

Yeah i think we fell just short of the numbers we wanted to see out an entire season.

Dingley coming into some good form at the right time.

Noticed they had a few missing from the weekend in Freeman etc.

Dogs were a bit undermanned themselves with Sumner, Kreymborg, Lawford, Carroll, Heynen. Maddaford & Knox all missing from the starting 18.

Chelt still the team to beat, I expect Cranny to find some form come finals but all in all it makes for a cracking finals series which is great considering we've seen no finals football for two years!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

SNFL Div 1 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back