Autopsy Snow bunnies beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got home from the game. This was the strangest game. In all my years of watching the Mighty Hawks I’ve never seen such a disgraceful lack of effort. We didn’t even put in 15 mins of hardcore effort, we didn’t give a whimper. How on Earth we selected Mirra and Duryea (two VFL players) over Brand and Miles is just mind boggling.

I feel ashamed of them tonight and I don’t say it lightly. Our younger players learnt nothing from this about what is required when wearing our jumper.

Can handle the loss, but this was ridiculous. From the selections, to the gameplan. We chopped it around like it was 2010 or something. And worse we didn’t even crack in at any stage of the game. Never seen my team like that and something needs to be done about it. I’d be holding a meeting Monday and using this gutless effort to have a heart to heart and reset the standards. Pissweak. And Mirra and Duryea cost 5 goals from their shocking inclusion.

The game seemed closer than 5 goals but let's be honest that Melboune list has a hell of a lot more upside than ours.

The fact they didn't get ahead of themselves and won again is huge for them.
What eats me up so much tonight is how much Hawthorn contributed to their own demise.
No, we probably didn’t expect miracles this year but did Collingwood? West Coast? They were expected to flop but someone forgot to tell them.
It might not be a wasted year but tonight was a wasted final.

Just got home from the game. This was the strangest game. In all my years of watching the Mighty Hawks I’ve never seen such a disgraceful lack of effort. We didn’t even put in 15 mins of hardcore effort, we didn’t give a whimper. How on Earth we selected Mirra and Duryea (two VFL players) over Brand and Miles is just mind boggling.

I feel ashamed of them tonight and I don’t say it lightly. Our younger players learnt nothing from this about what is required when wearing our jumper.

Can handle the loss, but this was ridiculous. From the selections, to the gameplan. We chopped it around like it was 2010 or something. And worse we didn’t even crack in at any stage of the game. Never seen my team like that and something needs to be done about it. I’d be holding a meeting Monday and using this gutless effort to have a heart to heart and reset the standards. Pissweak. And Mirra and Duryea cost 5 goals from their shocking inclusion.

?? There was plenty of effort given , we just weren't able to convert our chances when we had the run of play

Clarko is spot on as usual.

List lacks top end class.

That game was crying out for someone to take it by the scruff of the neck and make it their own.

We had enough foot soldiers but lacked the big guns. (Gunner went close but just couldn't finish, which is unlike him).

The last quarter was window dressing. We lost it when the game was there to be won in 2nd and 3rd.

Must add some class over the off season or we will probably regress, as more old warriors ride towards the sunset.

Thought Brand and Miles were stiff not to get a go in at least one final. Duryea and Mirra give their all but there is no potential upside in their futures. Or ours if they continue to get games next season.

Sheil and McGovern + a youngster stepping up next year and we are one free agency period away from contending again.

It needs to be a big off season by all.

PS. Roughy looked quite emotional as he walked up the race, looking up to the crowd in a 'this could be it' way.

Thank you Hawks for 2018. If anything we learned this year that is the lack of KPP. We need a solid FF that can mark the ball and more than anything good centre clearance terriors. We have to hit the draft hard now and get some assistance in midfield and FF. Good luck for 2019 - we are coming with more vigor and some more experience to our young brigade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko coached brilliantly tonight, had us set up perfect and we controlled the game for large large parts, but there was 2 reasons we lost tonight....

1. Selections - Doc, Nash shouldn’t have played. Frawley is horrid, and Ruff is finished. What a legend of the club but it’s time to move on.

If someone told you that Cyril would retire and Roughy wouldnt give much yet we would finish this high I think most would have laughed.

I think one thing you could say is that they certainly didnt throw the towel in last two weeks.

A lot of us believed that this team could do some damage in the finals. I just don't think the players and coaching staff shared that view.

?? There was plenty of effort given , we just weren't able to convert our chances when we had the run of play
Yes and we did not have any forward structure. There were no marking forwards. It was all snap shot goals and even when did mark rarely we were unable to convert. We need to have a good look at our structure and hit the draft hard during the off season.

Bolded for mine

I have faith Nash will be a very good player for us, but he was not ready to be promoted, and especially not ready for finals.

Some want him off our list, well here are the facts.

He never had a Sherrin until he was 14 or 15.

Last season he started with Box Hill Development squad, and missed half the season due to injuries. Would have probably started this year there too, but for the AFL cancelling that competition.

Looked lost at times, and wasn't sure where to position himself. Another preseason and more games next year will make him a good footballer. I would like to see him develop into a CHB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Snow bunnies beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back