Autopsy Snow bunnies beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

This game was won by the bottom 6 on the field.

People have and will take out of this that the 'top up' doesn't work anymore now that we're in a lesser compromised drafting system - Geelong/Hawthorn/Sydney are proof...
Our trading strategy over this past 2 year period has not been to top up. We've secured top end young talent via a risk managed approached as opposed to going to the draft (acknowledged - we've taken a risk with Jaeger that somewhat backfired last night). Additionally, we've been extremely lucky/skilled to have picked up some solid young developing talent with an absence of solid draft pick opportunities. Re-building with young talent and farewell-ing our greats will pay off in 2-3 years - this is when our bottom 6 will win us games like this. Our system and coaching staff got us here early in an even competition, I've got a fair bit of confidence in the new era when some depth arrives.

Bad decision to pick 2 guys that probably won't be on the list much longer.

Brand & Miles form was not bad before they got dropped.

Playing Nash in both finals equally as bad.
Agree and disagree.

Miles is such a fine player with skills, agility and creativity in a part of the ground where we lack speed and composure. I don't know why we gave up the opportunity to let him experience finals. His omission for Ceglar last week, given the conditions, was one of the more mystifying selection decisions I've observed.

Brand was a tough call, but the right one. Clarko sees him as future depth, and he would've likely struggled in both games with very little time in the back half, while Mirra was very good actually.

Nash is still a project, an awesome discovery despite two very quiet finals. Showed skills, athleticism, intelligence and toughness. Will certainly play a lot next year, with finals experience surely a huge part of that development.

Got back recently from the game.
Train was packed and such a sweaty night, maybe that's why Gunner was off line but tried.

Many issues with the list, tired now, selections didn't help.

Nash Doc - terrible ins; Mirra tried but a good vfl player at best.

Will reassess in the morning.
So do we finish 5th now?

Bad kicking is bad football and father time is catching up with a couple of players
and need more classy players...
That's it for now.

I thought Melbourne woud be much better than that. They were so disappointing for all the hype that’s been served up.

They’ve got so many midfielders. So many more than us, and yet we outplayed for huge parts of that game through the middle, even with them sitting on Mitchell.

I said to my Dees supporting mate after the game to enjoy the win, because you just don’t know when this opportunity will come along again, but I didn’t have the heart to tell him that he really needed to enjoy this week because I think they’ll get a smacking next week in Perth at the hands of a side who can score more freely.

My mum told me that it was important to be gracious in defeat .... even if you are disappointed.

Can't agree on that one (recruiting success sure but not great tonight). He took the game on (as I'm sure he is instructed) but then holds onto the ball until he is under pressure and then excecutes a shocking kick. At least 5 unneccessary turnovers by foot tonight when he had enough time to start with.

Yeah I agree - numerous shocking turnovers and lacked cohesion at times

Miles is such a fine player with skills, agility and creativity in a part of the ground where we lack speed and composure. I don't know why we gave up the opportunity to let him experience finals. His omission for Ceglar last week, given the conditions, was one of the more mystifying selection decisions I've observed.

I'm with you, I really do not understand why Miles has missed selection. I would have thought he'd done enough to deserve it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK.
You know my favorite moment of Clarko's presser?

'See you next year .' right at the end as he walks out. Why do I like it?

There was something steely in his tone; Sometimes you've got to lose to get the hunger to win. I hope our kids are stung by this experience. It's up to them now.

We would have learned a lot out of this loss.

We desperately need the following in no order:

An actual Key Defender.
Another midfielder (Mitchell, JOM, Shiels is a handy trio but need one more to take it to that A-grade level).
Someone insane in the forwardline to partner Poppy as a Defensive forward.

Clarko nailed it in the presser - mentioned we lacked polish and subsequently weren’t able to take our chances with the absence of key players for most of the year ultimately too hard to overcome.

Made it very clear that we needed to improve our list and would be active in trade week - I have no doubt that we have a couple of strong irons in the fire.

Said Birch would now miss Sunday’s game and rest his body ahead of a full pre-season - felt that he still had plenty to offer.

Hard to watch being beaten by them to be honest, biggest bunch of downhill skiers in the comp, was there when they wanted to merge and voted it out, since then had no respect at all for that club.

Tonight was a reflection of where we are at unfortunately more than them being any good, think they will be mascared next week for what it's worth, will be good riddens to bad rubbish when it happens..

Hawks will be back bigger and better than ever in 2019.

Hard to watch being beaten by them to be honest, biggest bunch of downhill skiers in the comp, was there when they wanted to merge and voted it out, since then had no respect at all for that club.

Tonight was a reflection of where we are at unfortunately more than them being any good, think they will be mascared next week for what it's worth, will be good riddens to bad rubbish when it happens..

Dees are a team on the up and an amazing effort by them to make a prelim win or lose.

Not sure how they are downhill skiers.

That umpiring was disgraceful. You had all the momentum in the last, then Oliver gets away with a blatant throw that resulted in a Melksham goal. From then on it was impossible. Too many times you were burnt by the umpires. No commentator acknowledged the throw that changed the game either, yet there is uproar over the below the knee calls that were there everyday and are actually in the rulebook. Every 50/50 call went their way too. They were decisive. As a neutral, it was sickening to watch. Ruined what should’ve been a much tighter game of football.

LOL

Agree and disagree.

Brand was a tough call, but the right one. Clarko sees him as future depth, and he would've likely struggled in both games with very little time in the back half, while Mirra was very good actually.

Nash is still a project, an awesome discovery despite two very quiet finals. Showed skills, athleticism, intelligence and toughness. Will certainly play a lot next year, with finals experience surely a huge part of that development.

Doc ahead of Miles was mind boggling as we really missed the latter’s drive and composure off half back - I don’t buy this hard bodies crap for Doc as needs to bring more to the table if he wants to be best 22 next year.

Mirra was OK, however, is a slow decision maker and too cautious - had a couple of opportunities tonight to run through his opponent and simply stood back and watched.

Harry and Worps were better this week and will benefit from the experience.

Too early in the career of Nash to expose him to finals footy as he is way too green.

All in all, some rather strange team selections from Clarko and the match committee in the last couple of weeks.

Any praise for Melbourne is unnecessary until they win a tough game against a side truly contending and entrenched in the top four for the whole year.

32 points up cut to 12 whilst missing Stratton, Jom, Mitchell clearly injured and Birch. Great teams don’t allow this.

Melbourne haven’t beaten anyone yet. If they lose in the West they remain a nothing club.

Unfortunately, the only team that deserves any respect is richmond. If they lose to GWS or Collingwood, then they too will be another essendon circa 1999-2001.

KOLOKOTRONIS

How does Mirra and Duryea get selected over Brand and Miles?

Seriously
Clarko possibly worried we'd be playing too many kids in a final I guess. Cousins was also stiff to miss. Felt like the match committee needed to be brave but instead went into their shell and made the most conservative choices possible, although its likely we would've lost regardless.

Playing Roughy, Schoenmakers & Nash as our three tall forwards really demonstrates where this team's biggest weakness lies. I would've played Ceglar up forward instead of one of them with the side-benefit of it making McEvoy's job in the ruck slightly easier.

Worst part is Melbourne weren’t even that good, we just were no where near good enough to beat them

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Snow bunnies beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back