So the bombers want to trade heavily...but....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd also suggest that as handy as Mal Michael has been for the Bombers, he was also another waste of a draft pick at a time when the club should have been looking at youth.

Depends whether you subscribe to the theory that he's been positive to the development of other young tall defenders at the club. Ryder in particular.

Not sure where I sit on that one. I like watching Mal play though.

Best Case Scenario - We drafted an 18 year old kid in 2005 who is still developing and hasn't cemented a position in our started side as per those drafted post pick 23.

Would you like me to read back to you that list of 22 players from the 2005 draft, many of who already doing good things in the seniors and some of whom who are regulars in better teams than Essendon?? You reckon most of those would get a game at Essendon? You reckon quite a few of them wont go on to play 100+ games?

You cant see how a triple premiership player could help develop young 18 or 19 year olds trying to learn to be a key defender?

Dont misquote me, you know what I mean

Of course they'd learn off him. But Essendon have already got somebody valuable to learn off. An extra tutor is a luxury of dubious value in times of restricted lists.

Brad Scott's a great help at Collingwood - but we're not wasting a playing spot on him.

Would you like me to read back to you that list of 22 players from the 2005 draft, many of who already doing good things in the seniors and some of whom who are regulars in better teams than Essendon?? You reckon most of those would get a game at Essendon? You reckon quite a few of them wont go on to play 100+ games?

None of them are ready made players.

Heath Hocking would also get a game at Essendon (currently injured).

There is no way to know who Essendon would have taken with that pick. None of us know that.

So therefore, the premise is it cost us a young player and a player from the 2005 draft. However, delisting Cole opened up a spot for a rookie and the net result is we have the same number of young players and the same number of players from that draft.

Stop guessing, we might have drafted someone with that pick who could already be gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll probably have to look at some trading options (suspect Lovett, if what I am hearing is the case, would be at the top of the list).

I can almost guarantee that Essendon won't trade Lovett - unless there is an offer we simply cannot refuse - we're not going to lose one of our most skilled on ballers for a few speculative draft picks

We'll probably have to look at some trading options (suspect Lovett, if what I am hearing is the case, would be at the top of the list).
Lovett is a tough one, he'll be 27 at the end of the year but is slowly turning the corner. Been excellent i think so far and is playing excting footy, but most importantly consistent footy. I think he would be a very important player on the wing but like others have said, if we get offered a great deal, then i would consider heavily. Theres still 15 odd games to go and by then we'll have a fair idea on where Lovett will be in 09.

Lovett is a tough one, he'll be 27 at the end of the year but is slowly turning the corner. Been excellent i think so far and is playing excting footy, but most importantly consistent footy. I think he would be a very important player on the wing but like others have said, if we get offered a great deal, then i would consider heavily. Theres still 15 odd games to go and by then we'll have a fair idea on where Lovett will be in 09.

Lovett is 25 and 5 months. It's his fourth year of football after coming from the suburban leagues. We have spent a lot of time on his development.

Most players develop properly after 5 years in the system. He is starting to get the consistency into his game.

Unless a club was will to give up a top 10 pick then we'd be crazy to let him go. Clubs will only give up top 10 picks if they are KPP, ruck or out and out superstar....... or Freo :D

Lovett is 25 and 5 months. It's his fourth year of football after coming from the suburban leagues. We have spent a lot of time on his development.

Most players develop properly after 5 years in the system. He is starting to get the consistency into his game.

Unless a club was will to give up a top 10 pick then we'd be crazy to let him go. Clubs will only give up top 10 picks if they are KPP, ruck or out and out superstar....... or Freo :D
Lovett is an older (not old) player who offers little leadership and is playing in a similar role to half our young players. He fits a role very well and would be atractive to many clubs. We should definately look at trading him.

Don't you hate it when our own supporters don't know about our players. :(

Lovett is an older (not old) player who offers little leadership and is playing in a similar role to half our young players. He fits a role very well and would be atractive to many clubs. We should definately look at trading him.

FFS, we are lacking quality players in the 24 to 28 year bracket & you want to trade one of them for a young player who may never make it? :confused:

Isn't there a new rule in place now where you can on-trade draft picks? Essendon's cattle may only be worth mid range picks, but couldn't they give up those picks for some higher up? Like 2 3rd round picks for 1 1st round?

FFS, we are lacking quality players in the 24 to 28 year bracket & you want to trade one of them for a young player who may never make it? :confused:
What we miss most from this bracket is leadership and hard bodies. Lovett offers none of these qualities. I want to trade Lovett so we can get what we need which is strong bodied midfielders.

Lovett is the type of player that could ignite a final series and win you a flag.

Why risk trading a player that is breaking through for a complete unknown quantity? Most likely a pick in the teens. Very low percentage of getting a better player back - about %5.

We have already drafted the players to plug the holes in our list. The in and under and classy inside mids. We have Lonergan, Hislop and Myers to develop over the next year or two to get us there with Watson and McVeigh.

We are developing Stanton's game to be more inside also.

We also have Houli, Reimers and Jetta who have all shown they have what it takes to play at AFL level. These guys are getting game time so they can develop.

Winderlich can play - just needs to get his body right and play out a whole season.

We have Hocking off the rookie list who could also fill that role.

We have pretty much drafted the players we are missing. We have been decimated with injury and it's too much for the young guys to carry the can with the mid range players.

I think people should wait until the end of the year to judge us. If we get most of our players back and we are still getting belted then fair enough. If our kids start playing well and gelling with the senior guys as we did in the NAB and early rounds then all this talk is for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back