So the bombers want to trade heavily...but....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't keep Richards.
We traded him rather than losing him.
Got Dempsey and Lonergan, win.

Cole pushed McVeigh into the midfield.
Cole injured pushed Slattery into the backline.

Win.

Please prove otherwise.

You make things seem all honky dory. If I didn't know any better the bombers would be a top four side.

McViegh would be the only one, but then he hasn't been consistently good throughout his carrer. His form at the start of this year was outstanding but before that, he was just an average player. I personally wouldn't give away a top 10 pick for somone who's only had a good start to a season.

Lovett is the type of player that could ignite a final series and win you a flag.

Why risk trading a player that is breaking through for a complete unknown quantity? Most likely a pick in the teens. Very low percentage of getting a better player back - about %5.

We have already drafted the players to plug the holes in our list. The in and under and classy inside mids. We have Lonergan, Hislop and Myers to develop over the next year or two to get us there with Watson and McVeigh.

We are developing Stanton's game to be more inside also.

We also have Houli, Reimers and Jetta who have all shown they have what it takes to play at AFL level. These guys are getting game time so they can develop.

Winderlich can play - just needs to get his body right and play out a whole season.

We have Hocking off the rookie list who could also fill that role.

We have pretty much drafted the players we are missing. We have been decimated with injury and it's too much for the young guys to carry the can with the mid range players.

I think people should wait until the end of the year to judge us. If we get most of our players back and we are still getting belted then fair enough. If our kids start playing well and gelling with the senior guys as we did in the NAB and early rounds then all this talk is for nothing.

After reading that, (and lets take Kelvin's word as gospel for a second) why would the Bombers want to trade, it sounds as though there list is sunlime.

Kelvin it is no use you pumping up the players tyres mate, it won't make any difference some trade time. :cool:

Essendon has compiled a list of lepers; so whilst they may want to trade heavily I don't reckon too many clubs will be enticed.

The good thing about Essendon's predicament is that it is looking like they will do a Carlton and be a cellar dweller for a good time yet.

Let the good times roll on:)

What we miss most from this bracket is leadership and hard bodies. Lovett offers none of these qualities. I want to trade Lovett so we can get what we need which is strong bodied midfielders.

Have you got someone in mind? Who do you think we can trade Lovett for, to get "this mystery" person?

Name names, or are you just talking shit?

After reading that, (and lets take Kelvin's word as gospel for a second) why would the Bombers want to trade, it sounds as though there list is sunlime.

Kelvin it is no use you pumping up the players tyres mate, it won't make any difference some trade time. :cool:

Not sure what you expect. You can't draft a player and expect them to make and immediate impact.

We've had good draft picks and need to develop them. You also need a good core around them. If you start getting rid of your better core to get more youngsters then you could be in a never ending cycle.

You should know the deal with youngsters seeing your better picks in Thomas and Pendlebury are having pretty poor seasons thus far.

McViegh would be the only one, but then he hasn't been consistently good throughout his carrer. His form at the start of this year was outstanding but before that, he was just an average player. I personally wouldn't give away a top 10 pick for somone who's only had a good start to a season.

McVeigh has been consistently good throughout his career.

Sheeds played him as a stopper down back and he pretty much did the job week in and week out and rarely got beaten.

His performances in the middle this year suggest the Sheeds was a little slow in getting him onto the ball.

Too one-dimensional.

And certainly not now, considering he's done his knee. It's generally hard for speedsters to come back and hit full tilt after they've busted their knee.

How is he one dimensional?? Superquick, good skills, excellent evasion, great vision - all the qualities that makes a very good player - he has been in the AFL for 1.5 years, and been injured for a good part of this. He has much more to offer.

Would you make this one dimensional call against "the great" Junior Rioli? - who has all the above qualities

I agree, but you could write that post about so many clubs this year and next. Only a certified superstar with at least 6 years left is going to get you a top 5 pick, maybe even top 10.

I would bet that unless Kerr is determined to leave West Coast and Brown leaves Brisbane, the chance of a top 10 pick being traded by anyone will be very slim.

the afl have modelled the process on the NFL, but the AFLs version is so conservative, that no club, let alone Essendon, will 'trade', unless little boys what to go back home to mummy.

knights has said they don't want to trade heavily.

this thread is a waste of time.

how many deals actually get done in trade week in reality? bugger all. its all hype and talk with no action.

mcveigh, ryder, myers and gumbleton would be the only ones worthy of a top 10 pick, and all of them would be considered untradeable by both te club and the posters on BF. I wouldn't be suprised if we went after lovett and someone went after lucas as a quick fix in the short term, which would lead to more oppurtunities for gumby. I really wouldn't be suprised if essendon went after cousins as they desperately need quality mids. With this in mind, they also may through the kitchen sink at west coast for kerr.

knights has said they don't want to trade heavily.

this thread is a waste of time.

how many deals actually get done in trade week in reality? bugger all. its all hype and talk with no action.

From memory i can't recall Essendon trading for a player for the last two years but i could be wrong.

The only thing you may see happen is Knights off loading a few middle tier players who have failed to perform with the most likely outcome 3rd or 4th rounders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mcveigh, ryder, myers and gumbleton would be the only ones worthy of a top 10 pick, and all of them would be considered untradeable by both te club and the posters on BF. I wouldn't be suprised if we went after lovett and someone went after lucas as a quick fix in the short term, which would lead to more oppurtunities for gumby.

What do you reckon West Coast would give up for Lovett? Hypothetically of course. ;)

mcveigh, ryder, myers and gumbleton would be the only ones worthy of a top 10 pick, and all of them would be considered untradeable by both te club and the posters on BF. I wouldn't be suprised if we went after lovett and someone went after lucas as a quick fix in the short term, which would lead to more oppurtunities for gumby. I really wouldn't be suprised if essendon went after cousins as they desperately need quality mids. With this in mind, they also may through the kitchen sink at west coast for kerr.

We don't want that junky loser in our team, plus he isn't a West Coast player anymore, so if we did draft him, (god forbid). the Eagles would get nothing.

The only player you guys have that we would be interested in is Kerr, are you willing to trade him for either Mc Veigh or Lucas?

All things considered, in terms of ability and what would be wanted in return from Essendon, I'd make a play for Slattery, Hislop and Monfries, possibly Laycock too. The rest I wouldn't piss on.

All things considered, in terms of ability and what would be wanted in return from Essendon, I'd make a play for Slattery, Hislop and Monfries, possibly Laycock too. The rest I wouldn't piss on.

I didn't realise, the team "unlisted" wanted those players, especially since they aren't even in the league :rolleyes:

Geez mate you're pretty easy to please aren't you.

I didn't realise, the team "unlisted" wanted those players, especially since they aren't even in the league :rolleyes:

I'm trying to work out which club would have a need for the players he listed. East Brighton are in good need for a back pocket come tagger with no speed, skill or vision. Must barrack for them.

I would say McPhee is easily worth a 1st rounder and I'd offer that from the Pies, then transform him into an inside midfielder.

A 2nd rounder for Nathan Lovett-Murray and place him in a Heath Shaw role, whilst moving Heater into the midfield.

Obviously, VERY unlikely Houli would be traded, but I'd have him in the Pies midfield in a heart-beat.

Perhaps a 3rd/4th rounder for a Slattery/Nash/Winderlich.

Travis Johnstone got pick 14.

I rate McVeigh better then Johnstone.

I agree McVeigh would be worthless to several clubs rebuilding but they'll have top 5 picks anyway.

The teams that could use McVeigh (in the premiership window) will get picks 10 to 16.

I didn't think McVeigh was that old. I though closer to 25.

Yeah, but most of those that look like they are competing for the premiership don't need mid-paced workhorse midfielders. For example, can't see the Hawks or Geelong showing any interest in McVeigh.

But don't be surprised when Essendon does very little during trade week and simply strengthens it's position in the 3rd round of the draft.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. While the current philosophy seems to be somewhat a reversal of the previous philosophy of topping up with recycled players it still remains to be seen how cut-throat Knights is prepared to be. I think it's possible he could make some bold decisions at the end of the year, but you may be right in that he'll just play it safe and not be very active during trade week.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. While the current philosophy seems to be somewhat a reversal of the previous philosophy of topping up with recycled players it still remains to be seen how cut-throat Knights is prepared to be. I think it's possible he could make some bold decisions at the end of the year, but you may be right in that he'll just play it safe and not be very active during trade week.

What are you talking about reversal of philosophy? We are no longer a strong team so of course we are not going to trade for recycled players. That is why we haven't done it for two years. It is hardly a philosophy, more just plain common sense.

What are you talking about reversal of philosophy? We are no longer a strong team so of course we are not going to trade for recycled players. That is why we haven't done it for two years. It is hardly a philosophy, more just plain common sense.

But you weren't a strong team two years ago either.

I don't think Essendon has many "high-end" players available for trade. As pointed out by numerous posters, these players are all approaching their shelf life and other clubs would be hesitant to take them on. These players are McVeigh, Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher, Michael, etc.

After the Hawks traded decent players for picks over two drafts, 5 picks in the top 25 then 5 picks in the top 30, other clubs have seen the benefit of this and will look to the draft first, rather than do a Freo and top up.

On the plus side, at least I haven't seen many posts describing trades that involve 2 or 3 second tier players for one A grade player. These trades used to flood Hawk boards when we were rebuilding and drove me crazy.

The one thing that will keep Essendon in good stead will be getting as many games into the youngsters as possible. Knights has acknowledged that this is the path he wants to follow and if he can stay true to it, the bombers will benefit 2 or 3 years down the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back