So who's your 2nd club?

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to like Fitzroy also, it was a shame when the AFL destroyed them and sent them to Brisbane and just expected their supporters to follow like sheep.
Well I suppose they gifted them three flags as a sweetener.
We had Fitzroy colours when i played junior footy, Maroon and Blue....a real maroon also! I guess i had some sort of soft spot. The Lions got shafted.

My dream in 1996 was to see the merger go through and be rid of the "pestilence" that is Hawthorn.

Not sure how it's possible to have a second club. Sure you may like another club or two but they should not raise your passion levels surely

It's weird. There's a lot of people out there who don't get what a slog it is. Following a team who is consistently garbage is rough. I have a lot of respect for week-in, week-out Richmond supporters - those who suffered through Wallace and kept showing up.

But most people don't get it. They lay into you for deciding not to show up in Rd21 on a freezing cold day to watch your team lose by 10 goals. If the shoe was on the other foot they would be making the same decisions. The media are particularly telling - the number of questions being asked over the Melbourne-GWS crowd was rough consider both seasons were over and Melbourne supporters are, for the most part, over it. There isn't much slack cut to supporters of rubbish teams - yet when only 20k show up to watch Hawthorn v GWS noone questions it.

Honestly, I don't know what gives the media the right to be slagging off fans for not attending. Campaigners all get to sit in the comfortable corporate boxes, press passes for on site parking etc. Life, work, family all play a part - which the media also forget. Unless the media are directing it at the AFL and "do something about this disequal mess" they should GAGF.

Edit: and to answer OP - the Dogs. Very sad that the Cinderella GF in 1997 didn't happen.

Use to be Bulldogs.

But they told me that they didn't want to be the 2nd teams of people anymore. Now I hope Bontempelli, Stringer and Boyd suffer serious injuries.

No they just destroyed them and sent was what left to Brisbane to make the Bad News Bears into something watchable.
Spin it any way you like, it was still a sad day for football.

"Spin it anyway you like"? I'm still a Fitzroy supporter and current member and shareholder of the Fitzroy Football Club. As a Fitzroy Football Club shareholder in 1996, I was involved in a small way in the actual merger events. I'm telling you what actually happened, as opposed to AFL propaganda.

The AFL didn't send Fitzroy to Brisbane. They can still be your second team, if you like.

Last edited:
Tends to be a question of which team you hate the least outside your own club (can change week to week!). That aside, I normally have a soft spot for teams with watchable players. Gold Coast cause of Gaz. Liked Adelaide recently cause of Tex, Danger and Betts. Sydney when Buddy plays. Ill go with GC - would like to see them make finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Spin it anyway you like"? I'm still a Fitzroy supporter and current member and shareholder of the Fitzroy Football Club. As a Fitzroy Football Club shareholder in 1996, I was involved in a small way in the actual merger events. I'm telling you what actually happened, as opposed to AFL propaganda.

The AFL didn't send Fitzroy to Brisbane.
Well I commend you on sticking with your club (what is left of it anyway). All I know is that my grandfather was a tough old bastard and a passionate Fitzroy supporter and the day Fitzroy as a club died, was the only time he ever shed a tear.
Whether it was to make the game better, whether it was to make both teams better, even if it was to give the supporters that winning feeling, I still state it was a sad day for football.
I am just glad Hawthorn and Melbourne didn't follow that lead.
I have no doubt you would know more than I about what transpired, being close to the club at the time. But for me, I just wished that the club could have been saved.
I guess it is a personal thing.

Geelong. Happily my second team..

Essendon haven't been very good for around 15 years, so I need something to keep me watching...ok, they were good in 2004.. To be fair..(although the last 4 years have been pretty bad for the club)

I grew up as a cats supporter then changed around 1997 as the family influence of Essendon took me over...

Last season there was a group of fans wearing half Essendon and half Geelong jersey for Chapmans fairwell game...

It made sense to me!!!

I also grew up going to Tigers games a lot...not that I go for them, but I'd like to see them win a premiership eventually.

Last edited:
Although it changes a bit depending on the situation, Melbourne would probably be my full time second team. Fremantle, Richmond and GWS are other teams that I usually barrack for in most cases.

Melbourne because they are 'Melbourne' and have a similar colour scheme to Essendon
Richmond because they are similar to Essendon in many aspects, though I don't particularly like their supporter base
GWS because of Kevin Sheedy
No particular reason for Fremantle, but Harvey coaching them really helped

Richmond, bought my 11 year old his first membership and went to quite a few games this year; and no, he does not ahave an acquired brain injury.

Used to have a soft spot for EFC, but Hird pretty much destroyed that.

Don't mind Sydney, watching them evolve under the mentorship of Ron Barrassi and Plugger was great.

Doggies because I'm in Western Melbourne.
But lately their supporters are starting to get quite cocky.

It changes on a yearly basis for me. It was the Bulldogs this year, probably will be next year as well. Port Adelaide in 2013/2014, so I still have a bit of a soft-spot for them. I also like to see Gold Coast doing well :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

So who's your 2nd club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back