Song Contest Part VII, Host: Sepp Blatter, Theme: Ashes, Noms Due: Sunday 7:00pm ACDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does, must be thinking of two different things... nvm
It's not like saying someone who only eats healthy food to be healthy yet smokes a pack a day, or a gay man who is homophobic.

Liking classic literature and listening to the most currently bought 40 songs is like saying "you're a classical pianist, you shouldn't be watching dumb cartoons". It doesn't really matter, everybody has different tastes in different areas and superior knowledge in special interests. The fact that the majority of popular culture is aimed at the lowest common denominator doesn't really have anything to do with that.

Last edited:

Shakespeare, overrated.

Hemingway is the best, underrated in Australia. There are many authors that I like, but so many over infantalised morons think JK Rowling's spittle is the glory of glories. Just **** off and die, she is not a good author, she's Dan Brown level.
For my last creative writing course I submitted a portfolio titled "Shakespeare Sucks". The wailing and gnashing of teeth it produced during presentation was a memory I'll cherish forever.

For my last creative writing course I submitted a portfolio titled "Shakespeare Sucks". The wailing and gnashing of teeth it produced during presentation was a memory I'll cherish forever.
Some of his plays are very good, others are middling and a couple were shit. Their cultural impact is massive, but they are massively overrepresented in education considering they offer very little comment on life now.

Some of his plays are very good, others are middling and a couple were shit. Their cultural impact is massive, but they are massively overrepresented in education considering they offer very little comment on life now.
Yes, that's my criticism. There's far more out there that can be read and studied to learn so much more about humanity, yet the default always seems to be "let's read Shakespeare"...

Yes, that's my criticism. There's far more out there that can be read and studied to learn so much more about humanity, yet the default always seems to be "let's read Shakespeare"...
To Kill A Mockingbird falls into the same category for me. Quite good, but there aste much better novels on the same subject matter.

To Kill A Mockingbird falls into the same category for me. Quite good, but there aste much better novels on the same subject matter.
It seems A Clockwork Orange is becoming more a part of the curriculum for secondary schools.

Catch 22 is, by far, my favourite book. The only book I ever re-read as soon as I finished it.
Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test a close second.

Great film and book
Good film, good book. Neither are great, and if you read a little deeper it's clear to see that the Finches are still quite racist. Invisible Man but Ralph Ellison is a far superior look at race relations that is much more relevant today, and written by an African American.

Good film, good book. Neither are great, and if you read a little deeper it's clear to see that the Finches are still quite racist. Invisible Man but Ralph Ellison is a far superior look at race relations that is much more relevant today, and written by an African American.

Ignore please I was thinking of a different book and film lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe not as much as others, but it is becoming more common with how society is becoming for the year 10-12 students. I think To kill a Mockingbird and Lord of the Flies are probably the most popular for year 7-10 English classes. I could be wrong.

My English class books from memory

Yr 7: don’t remember the name but it was about this kid obsessed with pirates and his old man has terminal cancer
Yr 8 don’t remember
Yr 9: Bridge to wisemens cove and Tomorrow when the war began
Yr 10 Deadly unna
Yr 11: don’t remember what they were called
Yr 12: a farewell to arms

The Hatchet in year 7.
Bridge to Wiseman's Cove in year 8.
Girl with a Pearl Earring in year 10.
Stolen in year 11 or 12.

Can't remember the others.

Good book.

But I've never read anything else by Heller.
I do remember starting to read another novel of his but can't remember what it was - probably suffered from high expectations.

The most memorable book I've read in the past 5 years would have to be Crime and Punishment. So many "scenes" from that book randomly enter my head.

Books I studied:
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lockie Leonard
The Great Gatsby
Gwen Harwood Collected Poems
Triage
Macbeth
Romeo and Juliet
Hamlet
Some other stuff that I don't remember and this amazing short film;

Texts I've taught:
Macbeth
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lord of the Flies
Wuthering Heights
The Secret Garden
Leunig Collected Essays (NaturalDisaster this is what a narcissist looks like)
The Hunger Games
Hannah's Suitcase
Some other stuff I've forgotten.

My brother had to read The Messenger by Markus Zuzak. Zuzak came to the school and talked to them and my brother told him the ending was pretty crap.
Oh yeah I taught that. It was crap and the author is a w***er.

We had to read Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities in year 10 or11. I never finished it but my stepmother sat me down the night before the exam and told me all about it. She prepared me well - I ended up getting a better mark for reviewing that than I did for the other book that I had actually read!

In Year 9 we watched Apocalypse Now which was also great. Studied Hearts of Darkness at uni too.
One of my top 10 films. The redux was great too.
And the doco about making the film was also called Hearts of Darkness I think. That was fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back