Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question, why are there so many Blues fans in the thread? There seem to be more Blues fans here than Saints fans bagging out Saints.

Maybe just try enjoying your own long coming period of success, why the need to constantly rag on a smaller club?

St.Kilda’s in the AFL mate.
It’s all a part of the game.
No discounts from opposition supporters for being shithouse …

To be fair, I don't watch them that closely - but my observations over the past few years is that they have no good players and their skills suck bad.

I don't think their shitty skills is a Lyon thing. They've been mostly abhorrent at the basics since Richardson was there.

I think their skills have gone backwards

And players aren't what they used to be a year ago

obviously not great news on max king but is not all bad for team going forward. they can now use the last 8 weeks to see how the forwadline can potentially look without king. maybe they get more out of some other players with a more unpredictable setup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club was wrong about the list.

Ross is right.

Funnily enough the club being wrong arguably got Ratten needlessly fired to get him the job.
An old adage but absolutely true is that the biggest mistake a club can make is to misjudge where their list is at. Saints guilty of this more than once.

It's so difficult to rebuild from a sinking ship and that's how St.Kilda looks to be right now. A graders don't move to clubs like the Saints no matter how much money you throw at them.

Saints and Richmond the two standout unattractive clubs at present, North seems to be losing some of it's rotting smell.

Last edited:
It's worrying how King can't seem to stay on the field.

If you look at the past 7 seasons including his TAC Cup year with Sandringham in 2018, there's only 3 seasons out of 7 where he's managed to play consistently.

2018 - ACL in April, missed most of the Under 18 year
2019 - Played about 5 games in the VFL and had ankle injury
2020 - 2022 he managed to play most of the season
2023 and 2024 there's been multiple major injuries (out for months) and multiple moderate ones (out for a few weeks). By the end of 2024 he will have played 23 of 47 games across 2023 and 2024 (including the one he got injured 20 seconds into the game against Melbourne. So really, 22 games from 47)

This lack of durability is pretty concerning.

It's worrying how King can't seem to stay on the field.

If you look at the past 7 seasons including his TAC Cup year with Sandringham in 2018, there's only 3 seasons out of 7 where he's managed to play consistently.

2018 - ACL in April, missed most of the Under 18 year
2019 - Played about 5 games in the VFL and had ankle injury
2020 - 2022 he managed to play most of the season
2023 and 2024 there's been multiple major injuries (out for months) and multiple moderate ones (out for a few weeks). By the end of 2024 he will have played 23 of 47 games across 2023 and 2024 (including the one he got injured 20 seconds into the game against Melbourne. So really, 22 games from 47)

This lack of durability is pretty concerning.
Open question...

How much of that is due to putting a skinny kid in the role of key forward?

And not a Roaming, Up The Ground type key forward - but the Deep F50 one that is expected to crash packs and gets crunched multiple times each game by multiple large mature Key Position Defenders?

I was critical of St Kilda in how they used and developed McCartin, and part of me sees a similar thing happening with King.

They draft these guys because of their prodigious talent and ability - then try to use them as wrecking balls.

Strange.

It's no wonder they break down early.

A disaster?

Why?

If you had to guess who do you think the teams are with a bye Rd 1-4

Guarantee you it won’t be the Collingwood’s , Carlton’s and Sydney’s of the world

The fans of whatever teams they do pick get it spelt out in no uncertain terms what the AFL think of you and that will just add bitterness on top of bitterness

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Weird question but would you trade Jeremy Cameron for Max King?

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Honestly, why would the Saints trade their 23-24 yo key forward for a 31 yo forward, who if you give any credence to his social media posting, is very happy at the Cattery.

Even more odd, as most comments on this thread suggest Saints should bottom out, not go all in. Cameron, in the very low chance he'd want out, would be only wanted by a team going for a cup in the next 1-2 years.

My take

For me - it feels like Saints have already tried the idea of topping up & pushing via trade, but they just didn't have the right cattle to make a concerted finals push. It's probably not a bad idea to top up on the high end of the draft for a few and restock. Good year this year as well for midfielders - which is precisely what they need.

They have some good young talent (despite some patchy form from Pou and Caminiti - but Owens is super exciting), and as long as they keep a few seasoned heads, should avoid the complete ass falling out like North. They just desperately need to rejeuvanate that midfield, it feels very one-dimensional and slow.

Maybe they could look to trade one or two valuable older heads to top up hard - but I'd personally hate to see them lose Sinc or Marshall, as they are fabric of the club players and genuinely compete hard.

Is it me, or do they always seem to have a horrid injury list?

Seems to have been going on for years.
I thought they've been relatively healthy to their core players. Steele, Marshall, Sinclair don't miss much. Yes, King has been injury prone and Coffield / Clark were/are perennial injured but neither were actually Best 22 players given their lack of development through injury. Zak Jones is... Zac Jones. Think they've had a very healthy run at it all things considered.

I thought they've been relatively healthy to their core players. Steele, Marshall, Sinclair don't miss much. Yes, King has been injury prone and Coffield / Clark were/are perennial injured but neither were actually Best 22 players given their lack of development through injury. Zak Jones is... Zac Jones. Think they've had a very healthy run at it all things considered.
Yeah, maybe.

I thought they were basically fielding a ressies team for the first half last year.

Didn't Steele do a collarbone last year and miss a chunk? And Sinclair missed the start of this year didn't he?

I thought I remembered Marshall busting his foot recently?

But what does that have to with him having to go through a formal process?

What you just described, if true, happened outside of any formal process.

Not going through a formal process, does not mean that there is no process.
Part of the formal process was that he had to present to and be interviewed by the board.

Prior to that as Sayers mate and, in the belief that the job was his, he was all in. Once he was asked go through the formal process he bailed out.

You can argue as to why he bailed out but there is no argument that his attitude towards the job changed significantly once he was asked to do more than simply being handed the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back