Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

This is my opinion...

Considering that Billings was pick 3 in the 2013 AFL draft. Who would I have taken at the time?

Brutally Honest... Since The dockers biggest need at the time was another tall forward to Help Pavlich, I would say Cam McCarthy.

Most clubs don't draft purely based on needs.

That is true. I was being honest about not taking Bontempelli like most people would after the draft and 20 / 20 hindsight

Based on the reviews at the time ( i didn't see him first hand before the draft ) I thought it was good that we got Billings.

Geez man, you guys have an actual midfield as a starting point.

We just rely on a banged up Jack Steele and have done for 5-6 years now.
Nope.... You have guys like Jack Steele, Brad Crouch, Sinclair and Brad Hill as midfielders. Not the worst bunch of kids in the league

Nope.... You have guys like Jack Steele, Brad Crouch, Sinclair and Brad Hill as midfielders. Not the worst bunch of kids in the league

Crouch’s knee is shot apparently and Sinclair is an All-Australian halfback who only plays midfield because we have no-one else.

Brad Hill has been great but relies on others to get the ball out to him. Darcy Wilson the same.

We are 2-3 good inside midfielders short of being a Top 8 side. Hopefully the likes of Windhager and Phillipou can lift again next year.

I'd prefer the Saints list to the Swans list.
Certainly if the Saints nail this draft.
Imo, the Swans list is far better.

Have a far better midfield for starters.

I would not want to be middle of the table or at a point where you should have completed a rebuild, but are nowhere near contending as Tassie sides are about to roll in. Would need to rebuild hard for the next two years STK and somehow develop from their existing core.

I would not want to be middle of the table or at a point where you should have completed a rebuild, but are nowhere near contending as Tassie sides are about to roll in. Would need to rebuild hard for the next two years STK and somehow develop from their existing core.
Good thing we have been hitting the draft hard for the past 3 seasons and already started to see those picks develop into quality players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NWM
Windhager (jury out)
Owens

Phillipou
Caminiti?

Wilson

4 bankable quality players

Rough going
Yes, super rough to have 6 players drafted over the last 3 seasons be regular best 22 players with 5 other 1st-2nd year players showing promising signs in their debuts and two top 10 picks to add to the group in coming weeks.

What a horrible situation that is. :rolleyes:

Yes, super rough to have 6 players drafted over the last 3 seasons be regular best 22 players with 5 other 1st-2nd year players showing promising signs in their debuts and two top 10 picks to add to the group in coming weeks.

What a horrible situation that is. :rolleyes:
You can think that

But its slim pickings when promising signs are shown from who?

Arie?

World of hurt

All 5 picks last year showed signs. Obviously you wouldn't know this given that you're talking out of your arse, but they did.
Sign of what? (barring Wilson)

A graders?

B Graders?

Role Players?

Bring some facts, not your emotions

No echo chamber rhetoric from your club board

Cant claim signs when they played less than 22 games collectively

A graders?

B Graders?

Role Players?

What, so all first year players should be playing the whole season? These guys need VFL time to develop their skills as they grow into playing at the highest level. Throwing them into the deep end is (not always, but often) a good way to ruin their careers before they've begun.
Regardless, all 5 players demonstrated qualities that should lead to them becoming at worst solid role players.
  • Wilson is obviously already a gun.
  • Garcia had 7 tackles in his first game and 9 in his second. Also showed excellent kicking skills and an ability to win clearances.
  • Hastie has great speed and moves brilliantly. Kicking needs some work but he's shown that he has plenty to work with.
  • Arie's kicking skills translated perfectly to the top level. Has a bit to work on defensively and off-field, but again plenty to work with, especially with a player taken at pick 63.
  • Collard didn't have the best season but he's still extremely raw and did have some strong performances in the VFL.

Unless you've actually watched all of our games this season, which I suspect you haven't given that your trolling is usually based on a very surface level view of the team, you wouldn't have seen this.

A graders?

B Graders?

Role Players?

Not going to pretend that I'm not biased, but Garcia looked very good. He mostly played as the sub, but regularly made an impact on the game, particularly against GWS, Geelong and Carlton. I don't know what his ceiling as a player is, but I will be very surprised if he isn't picked round 1 next year.

The rest of the first year debutants had some good moments, but were for the most part not up to the level yet, and only played because of injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back