Stop whinging Leigh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 1, 2004
the lodge
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon Bombers
You've got a 10% salary cap concession, merged with a Victorian team but don't have to play any home games there and have considerable influence over the AFL (see J. Brown). Playing a prelim. final in Melbourne is fair, stop whinging, until you can get 80, 000 at The Gabba just shut up. Because in the context of things you're getting a pretty good run.

Thoughts?

yob said:
No, he's the whinging Essendon fan who is infuriated about finishing 8th and earning a home preliminary final.

Done well haven't they? Been very quiet but having significant snipes at Browny this week! Got the home quali as well!

bomaz said:
Thoughts?

Thoughts? Seeing as a bombers supporter wants, the bombers will be happy to pick up the bill. The Qld State Goverment now eagerly await the bombers financial contribution to the final stage redevelopment of the Gabba which is set to commence in a couple of weeks. Now knowing the the cheque is in the mail the arhitects and engineers have been summond to re-draw the plans taking the finished stadium from a capicity of 42,000 to 80,000. The Lions in turn have advised ticketmaster that extra ticket printing facilities are now required so that they can get 80,000 thru the gates to satisfy the request of the bombers.

If the Gabba can hold 100, 000 (same as the MCG after redevolopment) then good on them. Secondly, our homeground is Telstra Dome so technical the MCG is not a home venue but a nuetral one.

bomaz said:
If the Gabba can hold 100, 000 (same as the MCG after redevolopment) then good on them. Secondly, our homeground is Telstra Dome so technical the MCG is not a home venue but a nuetral one.

They don't really need the Gabba to hold any more than it does anyway, so it is a moot point.

bomaz said:
You've got a 10% salary cap concession, merged with a Victorian team but don't have to play any home games there and have considerable influence over the AFL (see J. Brown). Playing a prelim. final in Melbourne is fair, stop whinging, until you can get 80, 000 at The Gabba just shut up. Because in the context of things you're getting a pretty good run.

Thoughts?
I think finishing second and not be rewarded for it, is a fair argument.
Loyal fans should not be descriminated against just because their
stadium has less capacity. The dons play 17 to 18 games at home,
I would take that over 10% any day !!

MickZu said:
I think finishing second and not be rewarded for it, is a fair argument.
Loyal fans should not be descriminated against just because their
stadium has less capacity. The dons play 17 to 18 games at home,
I would take that over 10% any day !!

And the Lions play 12 games at home which have a far greater advantage than the 17-18 games the Victorian teams play at "home".

Victorian teams play other Victorian teams at "home" whilst the Lions get to tackle interstate teams every time they play at the Gabba.

In reality, Victorian teams have 4-5 games where they have a home ground advantage compared to the Lions 12 games. Those 12 games are enough to get you into the finals pretty much every year. Yes, you still have to play 10 interstate games compared to 4-5 of the Victorian teams, but I dont think you are too hard done by.

On the topic, yes it is unfair that the Lions have to travel come Preliminary Final day. But they knew this before the finals started. They knew they needed to be on top to secure a home Prelim. The complete hypocrisy of Lethal is astounding. Salary Cap concessions, buying home games on one hand (I don't hear Lethal complaining about those) and he has the gall to complain about the competition being unfair.

Cannot believe Leigh is also complaining about having to play their Preliminary on Saturday night instead of their preferred Friday night. A Friday night game would give the winner of the Geelong/Essendon Semi the disadvantage of a 6 day break, instead of 7. Its okay for Brisbane, they've had an extra week recovery.

Agree with TopDon and TD. How come Brisbane don't play any home games infront of their Fitzroy Lions supporters?
In reality the AFL would much rather the Prelims be at the 'G' (guaranteed 80, 000) rateher than the Gabba (40, 000 tops). Double the profit, they aren't upset at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

topdon said:
Cannot believe Leigh is also complaining about having to play their Preliminary on Saturday night instead of their preferred Friday night. A Friday night game would give the winner of the Geelong/Essendon Semi the disadvantage of a 6 day break, instead of 7. Its okay for Brisbane, they've had an extra week recovery.

So they should advantage the teams that finished 4th and 8th even further than presenting them with just a home state Preliminary Final that neither has earnt?

The size of the ground has nothing to do with why the AFL is playing the game at the MCG. While it shouldn't harm the Lions chances of getting to the Grand Final, the extra travel is what may haunt them in the Grand Final.

If you're good enough it doesn't matter where you play as in the end its only grass with some white sticks. Leigh Matthews is preparing his excuses early if you ask me.

Let's think about this for a minute.

IIRC, the Brisbane Lions is a merged entity. One side is from Brisbane and the other represents a tiny little, but, footy rich suburb in Fitzroy.

I felt they were going the right way when the club actually helped to break down the barrier with the old Fitzroy fans, by convincing the AFL just last year, have the Fitzroy Reds, play the curtain raiser before the Lions match with the Pies in the Heritage Round.

Now they should be able to strengthen that in-principle partnership even further, by not actually whinging about playing a Preliminary Final, on a Saturday night in Melbourne.

We aren't just talking about the 8000 Lions fans who regularly attend Melbourne games...we're talking about maintaining a link to a traditional supporter base and sharing that with a Victorian based club, in a final.

For many of us who remember, quite fondly, the club that was Fitzroy and the matches our team played against them, even Leigh could understand maintaining a link like that.

Fans could take part in pre-match and post-match celebrations at places like the Fitzroy Club Hotel and at Brunswick St Oval in North Fitzroy. Parties could be held at places like the Manningham Club in Bulleen, even bigger than they have now.

Even though it's fair enough to have the match at Brisbane, I suggest that those supporting Leigh and the club here, look at the above and tell me that it isn't a worthwhile consideration.

I've looked. I don't agree. And I'll add any supporter worth their salt would want to see their team with the best chance of making that one day in September. And specifically in this case with the old tribal territory rivalry those of the traditional supporter base you speak of would probably give their right arm to have their team in with a fighting chance at cracking the Collingwood 4-peat record.

pazza said:
Let's think about this for a minute.

IIRC, the Brisbane Lions is a merged entity. One side is from Brisbane and the other represents a tiny little, but, footy rich suburb in Fitzroy.

I felt they were going the right way when the club actually helped to break down the barrier with the old Fitzroy fans, by convincing the AFL just last year, have the Fitzroy Reds, play the curtain raiser before the Lions match with the Pies in the Heritage Round.

Now they should be able to strengthen that in-principle partnership even further, by not actually whinging about playing a Preliminary Final, on a Saturday night in Melbourne.

We aren't just talking about the 8000 Lions fans who regularly attend Melbourne games...we're talking about maintaining a link to a traditional supporter base and sharing that with a Victorian based club, in a final.

For many of us who remember, quite fondly, the club that was Fitzroy and the matches our team played against them, even Leigh could understand maintaining a link like that.

Fans could take part in pre-match and post-match celebrations at places like the Fitzroy Club Hotel and at Brunswick St Oval in North Fitzroy. Parties could be held at places like the Manningham Club in Bulleen, even bigger than they have now.

Even though it's fair enough to have the match at Brisbane, I suggest that those supporting Leigh and the club here, look at the above and tell me that it isn't a worthwhile consideration.

All good points Pazza and while I have no doubt that it will not affect them PF weekend , it is very hard for a team to travel twice in 2 weeks and come up.

That is why non-vic teams work so hard to finish top 2.

Why travel twice?

Even Brisbane can afford to stay in Melbourne for an entire week...we won't have to put up with cheap excuses from them missing out on the Brownlow Medal count, just for starters...because I am sure it was embarrassing having to have the medal taken in a plane up north to be presented as often as it did.

Brisbane can really make a fair quid out of this.

Many people will know of the Royal Melbourne Show. Of all the clubs in the game, Essendon took the bull by the horns by having its own stand there in the last 15 years.

Surely a marketing executive could see the potential in making a ********load by having a stand at the Show, with players appearing during the week leading up to the game.

pazza said:
Why travel twice?

Even Brisbane can afford to stay in Melbourne for an entire week...we won't have to put up with cheap excuses from them missing out on the Brownlow Medal count, just for starters...because I am sure it was embarrassing having to have the medal taken in a plane up north to be presented as often as it did.

Many people will know of the Royal Melbourne Show. Of all the clubs in the game, Essendon took the bull by the horns by having its own stand there in the last 15 years.

Surely a marketing executive could see the potential in making a ********load by having a stand at the Show, with players appearing during the week leading up to the game.

Geez it would be a big risk to upset your routine at this time of the year. They did try staying in Perth for a week once when they requested back to back games against Freo & WCE and the experiment failed dismally. Lost both games .

pazza said:
Why travel twice?

training?

perhaps not thinking about the GF every waking minute? asssuming they get there, but no reason why they shouldnt

Um hello, who finished on top. I'm sure Port did. Thus they get the home prem final. Comming 2nd dosent, End of story. Maybe the AFL should bring in a rule, finish 2nd & the Prem Final could be played at the MCG no matter from which state your team comes from.
Leigh might have doubts about winning a 4th, with all the whinging. But I tell you if the Grand Final is played at the MCG you want as much play time there as possible. Brisbane has only played there twice there this year against Coll & Hawks. Real good quality opposition.

Dutch Wink said:
training?

perhaps not thinking about the GF every waking minute? asssuming they get there, but no reason why they shouldnt

Plenty of places for training in Melbourne..we already know they do a training session prior to every Melbourne game down at the Albert Ground. You could also train at Brunswick St. Oval, Junction Oval, Optus Oval, MCG, even the Lexus Bob Rose Oval if they ask Collingwood nicely enough.

RIPPER_46 said:
Geez it would be a big risk to upset your routine at this time of the year. They did try staying in Perth for a week once when they requested back to back games against Freo & WCE and the experiment failed dismally. Lost both games .

Essendon may not understand this whole 'travel' concept.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop whinging Leigh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back