Stop whinging Leigh.

Remove this Banner Ad

pazza said:
Sadly we do...you only need to look at how bloody unsuccessful we have been at it over the last 4 years for us to know!

True, reinforcing that it isn't totally understood by Essendon.

All that travelling does is acclimatise the Interstate teams to travel and they aren't as weak at it nowadays.

TD said:
And the Lions play 12 games at home which have a far greater advantage than the 17-18 games the Victorian teams play at "home".

Victorian teams play other Victorian teams at "home" whilst the Lions get to tackle interstate teams every time they play at the Gabba.

In reality, Victorian teams have 4-5 games where they have a home ground advantage compared to the Lions 12 games. Those 12 games are enough to get you into the finals pretty much every year. Yes, you still have to play 10 interstate games compared to 4-5 of the Victorian teams, but I dont think you are too hard done by.

On the topic, yes it is unfair that the Lions have to travel come Preliminary Final day. But they knew this before the finals started. They knew they needed to be on top to secure a home Prelim. The complete hypocrisy of Lethal is astounding. Salary Cap concessions, buying home games on one hand (I don't hear Lethal complaining about those) and he has the gall to complain about the competition being unfair.

I don't doubt that Lions playing at the Gabba would be more of an advantage than a Melbourne team playing at the MCG against another Melbourne side.
But your missing the point, let me put it to you another way. Would a Vic team accept 10 or 11 interstate travels a year with an 10% extra in the coffers, finish second and then play Swans who finish eighth in Sydney in a PF because the AFL made a deal with Testra Stadium. There would be outrage !!

Might I add that all Vic teams new of the cap allowances some time ago but choose to complain now. So what's the difference between that and Mathews winge? Also it takes two to agree for a football club to sell his home game and another to buy it, Melbourne are just as much to blame.

well it can work two ways. On the bad side, Brisbane might take out their anger on the footy field and smash essendon or geelong by 100-odd points. Or hopefully, Lethal will get his players' minds on having to play at this ground and they will forget that the other team has come to play. Then we will have a much needed new premiership winner.

its not like brisbane have any opponents who play the G better than them. Essendon (weak team), St Kilda (lost 6 of the last 7 at the G), Sydney (struggle on bigger grounds), Geelong (1 game this year at the G), Port (not that good at the G compared to AAMI), Melbourne (weak team as of the last 2 months), West Coast (interstate hoodoo).

All those teams wouldnt have much of a chance anyway of beating the Lions at the G. The only difference is, if its at the Gabba, Brisbane will win. If its here, the chances of winning are only 99.99% instead of 100.

I am glad Brisbane has a coach who is prepared to speak his mind. Would I rather he sat back and kept his mouth shut? No way!

Of course he wants to try and get every possible advantage for his team. Of course Brisbane would have a better chance of winning in Brisbane. It would be an insult to Essendon or Geelong for Leigh to sit back and say "yep, we're happy to play 'em in Melbourne", as if we are a certainty to thrash them.

Keep on whinging Leigh. ;) You've got my vote.

i read on another board - a valid point imo

"if essendon had finished 2nd & brisbane had scraped in at no. 8 on %
and then brisbane had got to play all it's finals at the gabba imagine the outcry?"

i think leigh has the right to speak his mind , i think brisbane have had a really raw deal in finishing 2nd & not getting a home final

& yes to play the final at night to suit the TV company is outrageous & brisbane or any other team who was faced with the same trip would have every right to complain

janiek said:
"if essendon had finished 2nd & brisbane had scraped in at no. 8 on %
and then brisbane had got to play all it's finals at the gabba imagine the outcry?"

Essendon can't help the fact that Melbourne finished 5th and Geelong lost their first final! Nor can they help the fact that both are Victorian-based clubs. The Brisbane Prelim final fiasco has been done to death. Nothing will change the fact that Brisbane must now travel to Melbourne. Its unfair, but you have to deal with it.

I don't understand why everyone is singling out Essendon. There is another team playing on Saturday night who could also benefit.

topdon
i wasn't pickign on essendon per se - more a case of using essendon cos they are the team bribane are playing this week and the two teams playing saturday happended to finish 2 & 8 respectively

i used essendon to illustrate the point if it has been the other way round it would have been sheedy making comment to which if the roles were reversed he'd be perfectly entiitield to & the thread would have proablbly been titiled "stop whinging kevin"

god your right i'm a week ahead of myself!

sorry i guess cos the thread was started with an essendon slant & i've tipped essendon to win this week -apolgies if you are a geelong fan

He'll stop whinging when the AFL stops giving him things to whinge about.

I, for one, am hoping for a Brisbane v Essendon preliminary at the 'G, if only to see the Bombers blown out of the water.

bomaz said:
If you're good enough it doesn't matter where you play as in the end its only grass with some white sticks. Leigh Matthews is preparing his excuses early if you ask me.
So you wouldn't mind selling a few home games to subi then, seeing as home state advantage is irrelevant?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t forget they get first crack at players (rookie listed players) within a geographical region 6 of them, other clubs don’t even get a look in.
How many can other clubs have, 3 I think.

They haven't won any premierships, the AFL gives it to them.

The comp is a fast.

whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge

you collingwood fans are sounding like a broken record. at least in 5 hours the rest of us will have some reason to whinge about you.

Brisbane should try playing a few home and away games at the MCG for the Fitzroy fanbase, that way they play on the MCG about as much as anyone other than Melbourne or Richmond does.

They could play teams that they do not draw high crowds for at the Gabba there. Given the vast majority of Brisbane players are Victorian then it would also give them more of an opportunity to see their extended families aswell.

I can understand why Brisbane wants to play at the Gabba, but it was never going to happen. Brisbane was just upset Port didn't choke.... again.

droche 2004 said:
Don’t forget they get first crack at players (rookie listed players) within a geographical region 6 of them, other clubs don’t even get a look in.

So what you are in fact implying is that no other club gets a look in on Queensland's best talent.

All other clubs do have an opportunity to recruit Queensland's best talent before the rookie draft. It's called the National Draft. Considering that there are about 90 picks in the National Draft, if clubs don't consider there is enough talent in 90 picks that's worth choosing from, then in most case, then I doubt that clubs suffer unduly by Brisbane (and Sydney) being allowed to select Queensland rookies. They are restricted to only taking Queensland rookies. If the Lions wish to rookie list a Victorian for example, they must be taken in the regular rookie draft (per ladder order)

droche 2004 said:
They haven't won any premierships, the AFL gives it to them.

Thanks AFL!

droche 2004 said:
The comp is a fast.

:confused: Do you in fact mean "farce"?

Tas said:
Brisbane should try playing a few home and away games at the MCG for the Fitzroy fanbase, that way they play on the MCG about as much as anyone other than Melbourne or Richmond does. .

The Lions apply every year for
a) more games in Victoria (7-8 Home & Away per year)
b) more games on the MCG

but the AFL rarely accede to their wishes.

Tas said:
They could play teams that they do not draw high crowds for at the Gabba there. Given the vast majority of Brisbane players are Victorian then it would also give them more of an opportunity to see their extended families aswell. .

Oh so true. You are absolutely right. The vast majority of Brisbane players are from outside Queesnland. Hence the retention bonus allowed to Brisbane.

Tas said:
I can understand why Brisbane wants to play at the Gabba, but it was never going to happen. Brisbane was just upset Port didn't choke.... again.

Well I certainly was. I was very disappointed for the Cats, last Sunday. Oh well.

Roylion said:
So what you are in fact implying is that no other club gets a look in on Queensland's best talent.

Yes because Brisbane can get them as 16 year olds.

And yes because there is a Zone that other clubs cant enter

The Lions should remember that they do have Fitroy fans too who wish to see them play............. ;)

Bombers_Forever said:
The Lions should remember that they do have Fitroy fans too who wish to see them play............. ;)

Yes and they got to see lions play in the last three GF's with a short inexspensive trip to the G. As for the lions supporters in Brisbane,
no such luxury.

You need to remove your blinkers !!!!

droche 2004 said:
Yes because Brisbane can get them as 16 year olds.

You're just making this up.

No they can't. Can you name a 16 year old rookie that has been placed on Brisbane's rookie list?

droche 2004 said:
And yes because there is a Zone that other clubs cant enter

Is there? And where is that?

This is how it works....

1. National Draft (between 75-90 picks in the draft of the best available talent including Queensland). There is no zone where players are reserved for Brisbane.
2. Rookie draft pre-selections (Brisbane and Sydney select first from the remaining Queensland and NSW talent available. They MUST select Queensland and NSW youngsters respectively). This system has only been in since 2000 in any case.
3. Rookie draft. All clubs select rookies from any where they like, including Queensland. If Brisbane want to select from outside Queensland and they have a spare spot, they take their turn in reverse ladder order.

bomaz said:
You've got a 10% salary cap concession, merged with a Victorian team but don't have to play any home games there and have considerable influence over the AFL (see J. Brown). Playing a prelim. final in Melbourne is fair, stop whinging, until you can get 80, 000 at The Gabba just shut up. Because in the context of things you're getting a pretty good run.

Thoughts?

It is all about mind games. Leigh can create a seige mentality and use it for motivation. He is just using the media to serve his purposes. Sheedy does it all the time as well.

crimson said:
It is all about mind games. Leigh can create a seige mentality and use it for motivation. He is just using the media to serve his purposes. Sheedy does it all the time as well.

Posters on the brisvegas board are encouraging Matthews to use Robert Doyles outburst to motivate the players. if only they knew how funny that was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop whinging Leigh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back