Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular opinion, but is Aducci the right call from a list management perspective? Not claiming to know more than the recruiters obviously, but it needs to be asked.

He is a hard working small forward correct? Where does a mature aged player fit into a group of Brockman, Moore, Seamus Mitchell, Sam Butler, Jack Saunders and Josh Morris (despite the latter moving to defence last season). The oldest of this group is 22 year old Dylan Moore. Then you need to consider veterans Breust and Wingard. Where does a spot come from in a rebuilding side for a smaller VFL player?

He might be a better footballer than the other boys we have training for the final list spot, but personally I was hoping we'd take the best available tall defender. It's the only spot on the ground we suddenly lack depth in after heavily addressing our midfield issues at the draft.
Our best 22 has an abundance of defenders, so much that I have Bramble and Day on the wings and Howe and Impey on the bench. However only DGB and Morris are our back up options. Both look likely. We need a big bodied defender to balance squad if Callow is impressing up forward.

Agreed. Just hoping we see Chad round 1 and firing from the get go.

Frustrating that he's obly hit top form in the second half of the year

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yes it’s not a soft tissue injury but again this is a yearly occurrence with Wingard - I don’t think he has ever got through a pre season injury free. I am really really bullish about our current list and some of our draftees from last year but have no confidence at all in Wingards body holding up to injury

The soft tissue injury will come at some stage and he will miss several games because of it - you can take tat to the bank

Training today on a hot, bright and sunny day down at waverley

No Shows,

Ward, Lewis and Day

Ward and Lewis have Covid
Day should be back in skills training in a couple of weeks tracking well from round 1

Rehab
Wingard, CJ, Nash, Butler, O'Hara, Saunders, Downie

Wingard rolled his ankle at training and has been on light duties didn't do much apart from some boxing
CJ has recovering from a setback and is running again
Nash, Butler and O'Hara are my Quad team. All of them have some quad soreness / tightness. Did a lot of running together and then came down for some boxing.
Saunders is nearly over his injury and will be back at skills next week. Did a lot of running on the far side
Downie has an injury did it recently hopefully back soon maybe a couple of weeks. Did some boxing

Semi Rehab
Serong, Morris, Gunston

Serong and Morris did all the skills training but Serong is still a bit sore so they decided not to risk him in the intra
Gunston is doing everything else but is still non contact so didn't participate in the intra
Morris in the last days of his recovery again they decided not to risk him. He looks good out on the track every time i see him out there

Box Hill players

There were 8 including adduci i can't remember all 8. They were there to fill in for the intra
Adduci, Porter, Blanck, Rule, Parsons and three other blokes sorry guys i can't remember your names

The boys came out started warming up and went straight into their drills
Handball drills 4 on 4 keepings off and the the handball drills at stoppages then out to kick to a forward. Kicking drills around the ground from the back line to the wing and then into the forward line.

Then we went into the intra 3 qtrs of the gold v browns

Interestingly we had the Mitch, Worps, Morrison, Long, JOM in gold in the middle with Reeves against McDonald, Shiels, Maginess, Newcombe and box hill boys and Lynch. Mcdonald strated well early but faded. Newcome picked up the slack along with shiels. This was not where the match was won. As i have mentioned many times before the game is now played from the half back line. This is where Brown had a really unfair advantage. They had Sicily, Impey, Scrimshaw and Bramble in the back 6 against Hartigan, Rule DGB etc.

Sic dominated the first two qtrs of the game. Welcome back he did as he pleased out there and having impey and bramble and scrimshaw they were much more successfull in transitioning the ball and scoring. Brown forward line included Jeka and Breust and Brockman. Jeka was opposed to DGB and had the better of that duel. Sic was so dominant that at qtr time the line coaches mentioned him as someone to stop. Second qtr was pretty much the same where Sic just dominated the air down back and his fellow backman just carried the ball forward. The two wingers dominating were Morrison and Howe.

Howe was one of the best playing for brown. His desperation and contested ability on show whether in traffic or taking a mark. One such contest where gold had the run of play a 3 on 2 and howe dived at the ball and then handballed it out. His ability to find space and hit targets has him penicilled in for round 1. Morrison who played for gold also played well He positioned himself and intercepted quite a few brown balls coming out of defence. He finished strongly in the last where the golds had their best term. Gold firstly quelled the influence of sic and then got the ball forward. Alas the browns still won the last qtr. Punky ended the intra with the last kick which was a goal.

Other players who had a really good hitouts included, Scrimshaw, Impey and Newcombe, with Nash on the sidelines Newc thought he would grab the opportunity with both hands. He was strong in the contest and made some good decisions and executed his skills well.

A highlight for DGB was the run down the wing with Jeka chasing he ran all the way to the wing. It was a great effort till the kick which went straight down Sic's throat

Jeka had a really good game led out with authority opposed to DGB

Lynch had the better of Reeves in the ruck and around the ground

Following the end of the intra Brockman, Howe and JOM didn't do much of the running ended up on the bikes and cross trainers. The rest of the groups were doing 200 or 300m sprints / interval training. At this point i left training. The boys were going to have another half hour of running torture.

That's all i can remember till next time

Awesome report mate! Great to hear Sic in good early form!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unpopular opinion, but is Aducci the right call from a list management perspective? Not claiming to know more than the recruiters obviously, but it needs to be asked.
I am. Just not about afl recruiting, But if we went head to head on supramolecular architecture I'd like my chances.

I am. Just not about afl recruiting, But if we went head to head on supramolecular architecture I'd like my chances.
Be funny as Hell if the recruitment team wandered over to www.bigscience.com.au website & challenged you about AFL recruitment

Track watchers.

How is Max Lynch tracking along?

Hopefully he can grab the opportunity early and cement that number 1 ruck spot. IMO Big Boy has declined in the ruck over the last couple of seasons and is more suited to a second ruck/floating forward role.

Was a great decision to trade Ceglar. At times he was so uncompetitive at centre bounces it put us at such a disadvantage to win a clearance.

Max seems already to be popular with the group.

Be funny as Hell if the recruitment team wandered over to www.bigscience.com.au website & challenged you about AFL recruitment
I'd be all like: I didn't recruit Thorpe, Patton, Dowler or Lovell. drops mic

(knowing secretly I'd probably have picked someone worse... )

Track watchers.

How is Max Lynch tracking along?

Hopefully he can grab the opportunity early and cement that number 1 ruck spot. IMO Big Boy has declined in the ruck over the last couple of seasons and is more suited to a second ruck/floating forward role.

Was a great decision to trade Ceglar. At times he was so uncompetitive at centre bounces it put us at such a disadvantage to win a clearance.

Max seems already to be popular with the group.

My impression from the training reports, it seems he's slightly ahead of Reeves for the second ruck position. It's probably only a matter of time before both out-jostle McEvoy, though.

Yes it’s not a soft tissue injury but again this is a yearly occurrence with Wingard - I don’t think he has ever got through a pre season injury free. I am really really bullish about our current list and some of our draftees from last year but have no confidence at all in Wingards body holding up to injury

The soft tissue injury will come at some stage and he will miss several games because of it - you can take tat to the bank
And? Junior Boy was the same and I wouldn't trade what he gave us for anything in the world.

How is day tracking? Will he miss round 1 or is it to early to say? Also to those who have watched training how does dbg look? Can he replace frosts position coz imo that's the only position I can see him squeezing in now that we have sicily scrimshaw hardwick Impey cj and possibly day.

All I can say is good luck Sam figuring this out 🤔

How is day tracking? Will he miss round 1 or is it to early to say? Also to those who have watched training how does dbg look? Can he replace frosts position coz imo that's the only position I can see him squeezing in now that we have sicily scrimshaw hardwick Impey cj and possibly day.

Day is back running, but he’s on a limited program to get be ready for Round 1, so he’s not doing all the drills yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day would be one of the first picked when fit. He attacks better than just about anyone and can also defend well. The hard part will be leaving someone else out who would reasonable deserve to be in the side.

Day would be one of the first picked when fit. He attacks better than just about anyone and can also defend well. The hard part will be leaving someone else out who would reasonable deserve to be in the side.
We finished bottom 4

All positions available for anyone who wants it

We finished bottom 4

All positions available for anyone who wants it
We had a positive winning record with Day in the side, going 3-2. One of those games, Day got injured while he was dragging hawthorn back into the game. When he went off, our run ended. He is an elite talent and already an elite player in my view. No one is keeping him out of the side.

We had a positive winning record with Day in the side, going 3-2. One of those games, Day got injured while he was dragging hawthorn back into the game. When he went off, our run ended. He is an elite talent and already an elite player in my view. No one is keeping him out of the side.
One of the first picked. His footy IQ is up there with the best I've seen.

That is true
lets hope he can string more than a few games together

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back