News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Enormous hey

If true how did we get ourselves in that position
I reckon the AFL taking COLA away was big. Lost alot of players since then.
Buddys $9m contract was designed when we still had COLA. Simply put, we've been paying Buddy 10% more than we thought we could afford. Averages out to be $90k/year
This number has been amplified due to Buddys back ended deal coupled with the less room to move due to salary cap reductions forced by Covid.
Others factors in play as well..

I cant remember was their leaks about Collingwood cap situation before it happened?
the leaks came very late in the year, started with Treloar wanting out, and then Treloar coming out and saying those rumours were falsified, then all of a sudden everyone had to leave.

the leaks came very late in the year, started with Treloar wanting out, and then Treloar coming out and saying those rumours were falsified, then all of a sudden everyone had to leave.
Also had Treloar saying he wanted to stay with Collingwood, but couldn't sign a new deal for months.

Also had Treloar saying he wanted to stay with Collingwood, but couldn't sign a new deal for months.
I don't think the issue was signing a new deal, it was that the deal he was on was heavily backended and Collingwood needed to get rid of him.
I think he was contracted for 3 more years.

I don't think the issue was signing a new deal, it was that the deal he was on was heavily backended and Collingwood needed to get rid of him.
I think he was contracted for 3 more years.
Good point, he didn't need an extension but definitely wanted to stay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy now to sit vack & wait for something that comes out of the mouth of a Swan official or player before I add any thing further to any annoyance I have had over the last week.
It's been a week now yet nothing from our guys.
All this needs to go in another thread

I reckon the AFL taking COLA away was big. Lost alot of players since then.
Buddys $9m contract was designed when we still had COLA. Simply put, we've been paying Buddy 10% more than we thought we could afford. Averages out to be $90k/year
This number has been amplified due to Buddys back ended deal coupled with the less room to move due to salary cap reductions forced by Covid.
Others factors in play as well..
Buddy did not receive a lot of Cola. He was paid out largely from the Ambassador money which for every club is about $1M per year to my knowledge. Saying Buddy received Cola is like putting on an Eddy mask and saying you speak the truth. It simply is not true. This was published in the media early on in the first half of his contract in the media if I recall correctly..

Buddy did not receive a lot of Cola. He was paid out largely from the Ambassador money which for every club is about $1M per year to my knowledge. Saying Buddy received Cola is like putting on an Eddy mask and saying you speak the truth. It simply is not true. This was published in the media early on in the first half of his contract in the media if I recall correctly..
I hate Eddy!! and if Ive said anything that makes me like that person, please pick me up on it and Ill offer my deepest apologies.
If what your'e saying is true and 'ambassadorial' money is used to pay player contracts, (I'm not pretending to know better), then its kind of beside the point.
When Buddys contract was worked out, considered and offered to Buddy..
- The salary cap was approx $13m, + approx $1m (ambassadorial money).. this applied to all clubs
- Swans cap was approx $13m, + approx $1m (ambassadorial money) + approx $1.3m COLA
According to Andrew Ireland, Cola was taken away straight after Buddy signed. Thats $1.3m less in our cap each year. This loss of money which was budgeted to pay all contracts signed at the time is still impacting the Swans cap today. All 3 buckets of money were spread out to pay the playing list, now theres only two buckets.

But, you're correct in saying Buddy didn't receive a lot ,, He received Zero Cola, and therefore the Swans had to find that money elsewhere.

I hate Eddy!! and if Ive said anything that makes me like that person, please pick me up on it and Ill offer my deepest apologies.
If what your'e saying is true and 'ambassadorial' money is used to pay player contracts, (I'm not pretending to know better), then its kind of beside the point.
- The salary cap was approx $13m, + approx $1m (ambassadorial money).. this applied to all clubs
- Swans cap was approx $13m, + approx $1m (ambassadorial money) + approx $1.3m COLA
According to Andrew Ireland, Cola was taken away straight after Buddy signed. Thats $1.3m less in our cap each year. This loss of money which was budgeted to pay all contracts signed at the time is still impacting the Swans cap today. All 3 buckets of money were spread out to pay the playing list, now theres only two buckets.

But, you're correct in saying Buddy didn't receive a lot ,, He received Zero Cola, and therefore the Swans had to find that money elsewhere.
General Discussion ?

The Salary Cap in place in 2013 as per the CBA at the time

1630898686502.png

The increase in the Salary Cap in the CBA between 2017 and 2022 that we banked on (well after COLA was removed)

1630898830768.png
The Salary Cap under the CBA for 2021 and 2022 has been cut by roughly 9% with the players only taking a 3.5% pay cut.

A new CBA for 2022 to 2024 is being worked on currently

The Salary Cap in place in 2013 as per the CBA at the time

View attachment 1227914

The increase in the Salary Cap in the CBA between 2017 and 2022 that we banked on (well after COLA was removed)

View attachment 1227918
The Salary Cap under the CBA for 2021 and 2022 has been cut by roughly 9% with the players only taking a 3.5% pay cut.

A new CBA for 2022 to 2024 is being worked on currently
Media or general discussion , or Buddy thread .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back