News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Harsh, but fair (from the Daily Mail):

SYDNEY

If anyone needed any convincing that the Swans' goal-kicking glory days of Tony Lockett and Warwick Capper are over, they only had to look at the stats from last season. Coach John Longmire's game plan obviously revolved around his players stopping the opposition from scoring, rather than banging the ball though the big sticks themselves. It didn't work. Any side scoring more than 11 goals against the Swans won – and often they didn't even need that many. Sydney only scored 11 in two matches. Against Richmond they managed just three majors and, against the Dockers, a miserable two. Far be it from me to tell 'Horse' how to do his job, but if he wants the Swans to climb into the top half of the ladder this season, he might want to teach them how to kick goals. Either that or convince Lockett or Capper to make a comeback.

Odds: Premiers - $51, Finals - $5

TIP: Fifteenth

SYDNEY

If anyone needed any convincing that the Swans' goal-kicking glory days of Tony Lockett and Warwick Capper are over, they only had to look at the stats from last season. Coach John Longmire's game plan obviously revolved around his players stopping the opposition from scoring, rather than banging the ball though the big sticks themselves. It didn't work. Any side scoring more than 11 goals against the Swans won – and often they didn't even need that many. Sydney only scored 11 in two matches. Against Richmond they managed just three majors and, against the Dockers, a miserable two. Far be it from me to tell 'Horse' how to do his job, but if he wants the Swans to climb into the top half of the ladder this season, he might want to teach them how to kick goals. Either that or convince Lockett or Capper to make a comeback.

I mean we were pretty poor across the board. We need to score more but this wasn't by design, we just plain sucked for most of the year. Defence was the only thing which looked good

I mean we were pretty poor across the board. We need to score more but this wasn't by design, we just plain sucked for most of the year. Defence was the only thing which looked good
I Love being the underdog and proving everyone wrong. Looking forward to this season. We are young. We are raw. But the fight in the players is there.

I Love being the underdog and proving everyone wrong. Looking forward to this season. We are young. We are raw. But the fight in the players is there.
Seeing the midfield start to click in the second half of the year has me really excited for what we can accomplish. That Giants match was a real turning point

SYDNEY

No to defend our shitty list but to be fair that Richmond game was played in a ****ing typhoon. That Dockers game was disgraceful though.

But the issues aren't up forward per say, it's the engine room

No to defend our shitty list but to be fair that Richmond game was played in a ******* typhoon. That Dockers game was disgraceful though.

But the issues aren't up forward per say, it's the engine room

That Richmond game was because of the Tigers elite defensive structure. Hardwick apologised for his comments after the match and that should’ve been the end of it. The way we as a bottom four side have been constantly dragged for struggling to score against the premiers in the wet is shameful IMO.

That Richmond game was because of the Tigers elite defensive structure. Hardwick apologised for his comments after the match and that should’ve been the end of it. The way we as a bottom four side have been constantly dragged for struggling to score against the premiers in the wet is shameful IMO.
It's because we have form in low scoring styles and games

We failed to kick goals last year?
Maybe it had something to do with..
- Buddy injured all year
- Heeney injured 3/4 of the year
- Reid missed many games and when he returned was never 100%
- Rucks and tall defenders were injured so McCartin (20yo undersized tall forward) was forced to play defence
- Ronke injured
- E Taylor sacked
This left us with
- Papley (who was needed in the midfield a lot)
- Hayward who also missed multiple games through injury
- McLean a slow moving big hearted 20yo Rookie
- Wicks a fast moving big hearted 20yo Rookie
- Bell 20yo Rookie
- Blakey 19yo who was better suited to the wing

Injuries were huge last year. No team would succeed from that position
Could always blame Horses game plan i guess

SYDNEY

The Richmond game i was utterly bemused by the criticism we received we kicked 3 goals but they kicked 4 with a vastly superior forward line so both teams struggled in wet conditions.

Now the Fremantle game was utterly awful one of the worst games i have ever seen no excuse in the modern game to kick 2 goals for the entire game 19 pts thats a team not functioning on a basic level.

Its spot on if a team kicks more than 10 goals its pretty much over.

I felt like there was deffs a focus on attacking play. The intent was there. The execution, not so. But that was expected.

When you're not that good in the middle, the ball tends to stay at one end of the ground. Wasn't defensive, we just had no choice but to defend because of a diabolical midfield which will hopefully start developing now.

I agree with SGBeach that personnel rather than tactics was the main reason for our lack of scoring last year .
Longmire has generally been a defence first coach but he has certainly been working on quicker ball movement/transition, but you need players on the end of it to impact the scoreboard.

Consider our staring fwd 6 in our last game v Geelong was;
McInerney-Reid-Stephens
Hayward-Aliir-Papley

In 2019 we had 4 players averaging over a goal a game (Franklin-2.7, Papley-1.7, Reid-1.3, Heeney-1.2).
Lose Franklin & Heeney, Reid played 10 games and fell away to an average of .5 goals, leaving Papley (-1.5 ave goals) as our main goal threat.

Also a fairly random 11 goals cut-off point from the journo to push his agenda.
Sure we only kicked 11 in two games, but registered 10+ goals in 5 games, winning 4.

I'm sure Horse would like to kick more goals and I sense a more progressive gameplan and hopefully this year, fewer injuries, continued improvement from our younger players, some fwd targets = more goals/wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since when is McCartin undersized?

must mean most fb in the league are then
This is a big problem I have with how the media reports players & player heights. McCartin is 193cm which is undersized for a key position player these days - by roughly 2cms. In saying that, who cares if he is 193 vs 198 so long as he gets the ball and plays his position? Mason Cox does not suddenly become the best ruck in the comp because he's 211cm, and despite being taller than any other ruck he does not suddenly out muscle all other players

This is a big problem I have with how the media reports players & player heights. McCartin is 193cm which is undersized for a key position player these days - by roughly 2cms. In saying that, who cares if he is 193 vs 198 so long as he gets the ball and plays his position? Mason Cox does not suddenly become the best ruck in the comp because he's 211cm, and despite being taller than any other ruck he does not suddenly out muscle all other players
Grundy was 192cm

rance 192-194

I wrote McCartin is an undersized key forward.. 193cm is pretty short in todays game. Thats not taking anything away from him
The point was that a 20 yo 193cm key forward is going to struggle playing as the leading tall.
Injuries last year smashed us.
I'm sure Horse would like to kick more goals and I sense a more progressive gameplan and hopefully this year, fewer injuries, continued improvement from our younger players, some fwd targets = more goals/wins.
Horse has said that the game plan is changing to suit the players.
We have much quicker players than Ive ever seen + excellent kicks.. hence a game plan that suits the players speed and kicking ability

so pumped for saturday night!!!!!!

SYDNEY

Another broken clock expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael O'Loughlin appointed to the board

I was so thrilled to hear the Academy girls sing the theme song when they beat the Geelong Falcons

Loyal Swans

Last edited:
I was so thrilled to hear the Academy girls sing the theme song when they beat the Geelong Falcons

Loyal Swans

Good change I reckon

SYDNEY

Sorry but that was written like they looked up a stats sheet and never watched one game. We had an attacking gameplan but didn't have the players to deliver it. Papley was our key forward at times for Christ's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back