Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Tommy is unfortunately a easy target teams know any sort of collision/tackle/spoil to the head and we are 1 man down.

Example the player who kneed Gawn in the head in the ruck if that was Tommy he would of been sidelined.
I don't subscribe to the view that players deliberately try to take out players from the opposition.

Last edited:
Wow! You guys get really toey when someone tips the opposition...

Montagna tipped Freo as his outsider for the week... and if we are not spot on with our pressure, I can see them getting up! They are playing well, really starting to get it together and impose their game on the opposition. They are a young team that are starting to show glimpses of how good they will be in the future, and while I don't think they'll win the flag this year, they are definitely (in my view) going to shape the 8 and impact the finals. They are going to be good over the next few years I think...

Given Montagna has no hope with his beloved Saints, why shouldn't he tip Freo in an upset? Someone will beat us in an upset this year... that's just life in footy.

FREEMANTLE:
Average age at Opening Round, 2024:
23.9 (15th oldest)
Average games: 55.4 (17th most experienced)
Most games: Michael Walters (222)
Players with 100-plus games: 10
Players with less than 50 games: 25
Most finals games: Michael Walters (13)
Players with finals experience: 23

SYDNEY:
Average age at Opening Round, 2024:
24.6 (equal eighth oldest)
Average games: 78.4 (fifth most experienced)
Most games: Luke Parker (283)
Players with 100-plus games: 14
Players with less than 50 games: 18
Most finals games: Luke Parker (23)
Players with finals experience: 29
Yep, the whole Swans fan "PLEEEEEASE like me" cry to the media seems desperate and insecure. Let's not be concerned by whether or not someone tips us and just actually win.

Yep, the whole Swans fan "PLEEEEEASE like me" cry to the media seems desperate and insecure. Let's not be concerned by whether or not someone tips us and just actually win.
Yep. If we keep winning it will become impossible to ignore us, though personally I'm a fly under the radar type.

Is that it though? For mine it’s more about getting some fair coverage when we are up and about,
Especially hitting top spot equaling wins with the Cats who they’ve all been raving about.

Pretty sure we were given more discussion over WicksWickDippingGate compared to the great win against a top 4 flag fave to put us into top spot. It’s a joke.

I ask, why the hell wasn’t Guldens scoop and kick in the wet splashed everywhere this week (for example) . Maybe I’m biased ?

Anyway, don’t NEED any media assurance on where we are at in this first 33% of season - we know!
But doesn’t the Vic media, Fox, etc want clicks, subscriptions and followings ? Swans have a massive following throughout the country….maybe the most (hello Pridham ) , so cater for the masses , knobs!

Is that it though? For mine it’s more about getting some fair coverage when we are up and about,
Especially hitting top spot equaling wins with the Cats who they’ve all been raving about.

Pretty sure we were given more discussion over WicksWickDippingGate compared to the great win against a top 4 flag fave to put us into top spot. It’s a joke.

I ask, why the hell wasn’t Guldens scoop and kick in the wet splashed everywhere this week (for example) . Maybe I’m biased ?

Anyway, don’t NEED any media assurance on where we are at in this first 33% of season - we know!
But doesn’t the Vic media, Fox, etc want clicks, subscriptions and followings ? Swans have a massive following throughout the country….maybe the most (hello Pridham ) , so cater for the masses , knobs!
We will never draw clicks like the big clubs, also 97% of footy media lives in the vic boys club bubble, it's inevitable they just pat each other's backs or collectively pick a club to rag on that week (this week its the dogs).
As frustrating as it is it will never change.

We are better flying under the radar anyway.

We will never draw clicks like the big clubs, also 97% of footy media lives in the vic boys club bubble, it's inevitable they just pat each other's backs or collectively pick a club to rag on that week (this week its the dogs).
As frustrating as it is it will never change.

We are better flying under the radar anyway.

It's not backs they're patting and it's also more vigorous than patting. It normally happens in a round formation too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

montagna has been dismissing the swans since preseason
Okay, so this season I've reading/watching the media a lot...

Both Montagna and King have spent the last few years picking winners based on previous outcome stats... (i.e. they review the stats of all games and determine over time (3-5 yrs) which stats reliably forecast a win). And they have been doing pretty well with it. This year, Sydney has been doing it differently, and both have said so continuously! Repeatedly saying they're not convinced, which is reasonable because we are doing it differently and there are no records of any team in the past doing it the way we are now!

And they're right, three of our mids (Heeney, Gulden & Warner) have contributed 30 goals towards our total of 121 goals, with an average of 8 score involvements per game each! That's giving us 3.75 goals advantage every match, and setting up more! We are using Grundy as an extra mid (with clearances and tackles) on top of his excellent rucking, Rowie and Taylor for the dirty, down and under work, and then Heeney, Gulden & Warner as outlets. This is why our percentage is through the rough! And also why Parker is not getting a game. (It will take injury for him to get back in imo.)

Every team in the comp is now work on a way to clamp us, and it will be interesting to see what they come up with. But right now we are setting a trend, and it's not reasonable to expect people who predict off previous stats to recognise a new trend emerging. Neither of them have been 'dismissing' or 'disrespecting' us, just saying they're not convinced.

Love 'em or hate 'me, makes no difference to me... but they are commentators who work of the stats, and there are no previous stats for the way we do it. I much prefer 'stat' commentators, than people like Brian Taylor, who work off the top of their head.

I don't subscribe to the view that players deliberately try to take out players from the opposition.
Me neither! Nor do I subscribe to the view that Coaches direct players to take out opposition players.

Both Montagna and King have spent the last few years picking winners based on previous outcome stats... (i.e. they review the stats of all games and determine over time (3-5 yrs) which stats reliably forecast a win). And they have been doing pretty well with it. This year, Sydney has been doing it differently, and both have said so continuously! Repeatedly saying they're not convinced, which is reasonable because we are doing it differently and there are no records of any team in the past doing it the way we are now!

And they're right, three of our mids (Heeney, Gulden & Warner) have contributed 30 goals towards our total of 121 goals, with an average of 8 score involvements per game each! That's giving us 3.75 goals advantage every match, and setting up more! We are using Grundy as an extra mid (with clearances and tackles) on top of his excellent rucking, Rowie and Taylor for the dirty, down and under work, and then Heeney, Gulden & Warner as outlets. This is why our percentage is through the rough! And also why Parker is not getting a game. (It will take injury for him to get back in imo.)

Every team in the comp is now work on a way to clamp us, and it will be interesting to see what they come up with. But right now we are setting a trend, and it's not reasonable to expect people who predict off previous stats to recognise a new trend emerging. Neither of them have been 'dismissing' or 'disrespecting' us, just saying they're not convinced.

Love 'em or hate 'me, makes no difference to me... but they are commentators who work of the stats, and there are no previous stats for the way we do it. I much prefer 'stat' commentators, than people like Brian Taylor, who work off the top of their head.
King wouldn't be able to talk without his laptop , same as Slobbo without his arms

Talking about Toby Greene match-up
"I probably missed out a little bit over the last couple of years, to be honest, having Tom McCartin take the key forwards. So to have a genuine match-up for myself is something I really relish these days, because they are few and far between. Which is fine. It's the natural progression of the team."

The lid and one game at a time;
"The sky's the limit for the group, provided we keep going about our business in the right way and not expecting that things are going to happen.
"We probably fell into that trap a little bit last year of talking bigger picture....

(in terms of the playing group and the future) I think we can feel there's a sense of something pretty special there."

Missed this in Horse's presser, but makes sense;
John Longmire admitted this week the 2016 All-Australian will be managed at times during the season to ensure he's primed for September.

10MAY24: Swans Daily Media New
Missed last weeks Knee Jerk Reaction from Titus - so lets start the day off with a laugh.

Logan & Chad talk from the West Australian

If I ever get to the stage where I say "I prefer Brian Taylor", please shoot me.

Not against it , just thinking out loud.

What if say on examination it turned out they were nudged into a contest, player who got hit was at fault. if its discretion of the officials they probably f it up at times.

Flip side I guess red cards work in other sports, just the AFL like to make these rules and implement poorly.

I'm not a fan of the sendoff in AFL, the Umps make enough mistakes as it is and it would be too easy for players to manipulate, IE leading with the head or milking dangerous tackles as we have seen recently. Sometimes collisions happen without specific intent, so I could live with the penalty being a kick from the front of the goal square.

10May24: Fremantle vs Swans Match Reports New
Another win on the road for the Bloods, and fair to say Freo had more important things on their minds.

Paywalled article:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back