Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Because they were talking about us and mentioned it in relation to us. I don't get it. People complain we don't get talked about enough and when we get focussed on people complain that the media's focussing on us too much?
That's my point they pretty much just mention it relation to us

That's my point they pretty much just mention it relation to us

Er, that's my point. They were talking about us in relation to our game last night and the fact we're top. Why would they suddenly bring up, I dunno, Richmond?

Er, that's my point. They were talking about us in relation to our game last night and the fact we're top. Why would they suddenly bring up, I dunno, Richmond?
But why not bring it up as more of a general discussion about all teams. They bring it up in relation to us because they want to downplay what we have done so far this season.

But why not bring it up as more of a general discussion about all teams. They bring it up in relation to us because they want to downplay what we have done so far this season.

Haha I don't know what you're not getting. This is getting pretty circular so I'll leave it there.

I think the Melbourne media have got it 200% right.

All of our 10 wins have been clearly aided by incredible circumstances and huge amounts of luck… and just for good measure, we’ve also benefited from the bye structure.

If not for all of this good fortune, we’d sadly be sitting winless at the bottom of the ladder with Norf! 🤷‍♂️😜

I think the Melbourne media have got it 200% right.

All of our 10 wins have been clearly aided by incredible circumstances and huge amounts of luck… and just for good measure, we’ve also benefited from the bye structure.

If not for all of this good fortune, we’d sadly be sitting winless at the bottom of the ladder with Norf! 🤷‍♂️😜

As funny as it is to say, I do think we've benefitted a huge amount from luck of the draw. Playing the Pies before they settled into the season, Weitering and Naughton going down for Carlton and the Dogs, playing the Bombers before they got up and running (granted they then lost to Port by 70 before they came good), really only the Eagles was 'bad' timing, getting them after they started coming good. We've also been very fortunate with injuries.

As funny as it is to say, I do think we've benefitted a huge amount from luck of the draw. Playing the Pies before they settled into the season, Weitering and Naughton going down for Carlton and the Dogs, playing the Bombers before they got up and running (granted they then lost to Port by 70 before they came good), really only the Eagles was 'bad' timing, getting them after they started coming good. We've also been very fortunate with injuries.
And?

And it's funny to think about?

I don't think there's any shame in that. Winning a premiership basically needs a lot of factors to fall in a teams favour, very rarely do you see a side do it 'against the odds', normally they get a blessed run with injuries and a few lucky bounces along the way.

Last year the Lions barely had an injury this year they've had 5 ACLs.

I don't think there's any shame in that. Winning a premiership basically needs a lot of factors to fall in a teams favour, very rarely do you see a side do it 'against the odds', normally they get a blessed run with injuries and a few lucky bounces along the way.

You're right of course, luck is a factor in a good run or a premiership. We had SFA last year. You could add that we've had a couple of good players say "let's move to Sydney".
One piece of luck I'm thinking about is Spike going into coaching a line. Mathews did a great job organising our defence tactically last year and Pointy seems to have done a fair job but things have kicked on with Spike in the team.

Probably because those teams aren't top of the ladder due to other factors? The point is that it helps us consolidate our position top of the ladder.
Is it a disadvantage to be successful and cop criticism for being successful? Just musing.
GWS get more academy players than us in the draft , but when academies are mentioned it is Sydney that comes to most peoples minds.
Sydney are top of the ladder because they have benefitted because they didn't have a bye in the first round. None of the other 7 teams are mentioned.

Is this criticism for perceived advantages a benefit or a disadvantage?

Is it a disadvantage to be successful and cop criticism for being successful? Just musing.
GWS get more academy players than us in the draft , but when academies are mentioned it is Sydney that comes to most peoples minds.
Sydney are top of the ladder because they have benefitted because they didn't have a bye in the first round. None of the other 7 teams are mentioned.

Is this criticism for perceived advantages a benefit or a disadvantage?
To the team probably means SFA. Bit of a laugh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to be honest, there have been times where people say 'I would have preferred to play them without their injuries, want to be against the best etc.' For me, take every bit of luck that comes your way and bank as many wins as possible. Make sure finals are a possibility before worrying about any moral victories or losses.
Why are people so defensive about the bye lmao.
Eh, this I can understand. Years of crackpot theories about every gust of wind being an AFL directive to favour the Swans would get people's backs up.

I have to be honest, there have been times where people say 'I would have preferred to play them without their injuries, want to be against the best etc.' For me, take every bit of luck that comes your way and bank as many wins as possible. Make sure finals are a possibility before worrying about any moral victories or losses.

Eh, this I can understand. Years of crackpot theories about every gust of wind being an AFL directive to favour the Swans would get people's backs up.
Oh I'm happy to take the fortune.

We also played Richmond in their one good performance of the year. Yes, some will argue that we lost because we were down. We were a little down. But Richmond played very well that game and, crucially, it was before their injuries really set in. In particular, Taranto played and played well. He was in the coaches' votes. Near the top. Balta played and was decent enough. And most crucially we got Tom Lynch in his third game, just enough time after a long lay off to find some form. He was excellent. Caused McCartin problems, just as he causes many key defenders problems. But no team since has had to face Richmond with Lynch, and their injuries have gradually mounted up since that game.

I'm not upset we've lost a game. It's probably a good thing. And while it might be a little annoying to have lost to Richmond while other contenders have used them for a nice percentage boost, we're not in desperate need of that percentage boost. And we didn't lose an eight-pointer. But there was still an element of "bad luck" when we met them. Just as much as there was "good luck" playing Collingwood before they got going yet still being good enough to very comfortably account for them. And we'll get a chance to validate how much was luck when we meet them later this season.

That's it for me. Over the years every little "advantage" perceived or real we get is always mentioned and highlighted. So yeah I have my back up about it. There always seems to be this "oh they are good but..." attitude. Gets frustrating. So yes I get that having the bye is helpful (as it is for the other teams who get the bye like we do) but there are other "advantages" many teams get that are also helpful.

And of course luck plays a part in every premiership. I also acknowledge compared to other teams we have also had a pretty good run with injury. (Although we did lose our captain before the season even started. Parker injured etc) My issue is our "luck" "advantage" whatever always has to get a mention.

Because it doesn't count as a bye? Wtf?

Surely even one eyed Swans supporters can acknowledge that a bye 5 weeks into the season is more beneficial than a bye in the first round. In fact a bye in the first round is a DISADVANTAGE since you're starting cold against a side that's already had a game.
AFL even called the teams not playing in the opening round as having the bye? But it doesn’t count to you.

IMG_4465.jpeg

The disadvantage which you miss is that the Swans had no break before opening round after preseason.

Also by having a bye in round 12 then play 12 games to finish season. WTF indeed.

We aren't the only team that gets the advantage though but it seems like the media love talking about us and then barely mention the other teams who have the same advantage.
I am getting the impression you perceive that as unusual, unfair or unethical of the VIC centric media.
Rookie mistake.
Try harder …

Great Article

1 hr 40mins into full show

edit: Really great talk about vulnerability and how that improves trust in the team and improves teamwork.

That’s interesting re vulnerability.

I was at a leadership day for my company at Penrith Panthers and we got spoke to by Cleary the coach. As we know they have won the last three premierships.

One of the big things he spoke about was getting the players to be vulnerable which bonds the group, getting players up to talk about their story in front of the group etc.

But would they have been up and running earlier if they did not play us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back