Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair it is a simple game. You can cut the numbers anyway you want but there is no one method to winning.

We are below the competition average in disposal efficiency, contested marks and handballs. Yes we could improve but it doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Longmire after every game talks about areas to improve so your last line seems mute.

Moot?

Perhaps but in fact it actually underlines my point that getting the win isn't necessarily the most important stat. If we beat North by a point after being 40 down at HT do we sit there saying 'Well we got the W so that's the main thing, there's nothing else to take out of this performance'? Underlying stats can paint the picture for a longer term trend of performance that may not manifest into a loss until it does and that could see us out of the Finals. Wouldn't it make more sense to focus on the areas we're not performing well to improve them to continue winning?

To be fair it is a simple game. You can cut the numbers anyway you want but there is no one method to winning.

We are below the competition average in disposal efficiency, contested marks and handballs. Yes we could improve but it doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Longmire after every game talks about areas to improve so your last line seems mute.
Yep and we are above the comp in points scored and below in points against, all that matters to me
Moot?

Perhaps but in fact it actually underlines my point that getting the win isn't necessarily the most important stat. If we beat North by a point after being 40 down at HT do we sit there saying 'Well we got the W so that's the main thing, there's nothing else to take out of this performance'? Underlying stats can paint the picture for a longer term trend of performance that may not manifest into a loss until it does and that could see us out of the Finals. Wouldn't it make more sense to focus on the areas we're not performing well to improve them to continue winning?
The media took it that way when Collingwood did just that a few weeks ago and they are still considered by most to be a genuine threat.

Yep and we are above the comp in points scored and below in points against, all that matters to me

The media took it that way when Collingwood did just that a few weeks ago and they are still considered by most to be a genuine threat.

The media have spent a large portion of this week, along with the Pies coach himself, criticising the Pies for their inability to put teams away before 3/4 time. So not quite sure that's true.

The media have spent a large portion of this week, along with the Pies coach himself, criticising the Pies for their inability to put teams away before 3/4 time. So not quite sure that's true.
Only talking about that particular week when they were praised up hill and down dale for the "most amazing come back ever"

Only talking about that particular week when they were praised up hill and down dale for the "most amazing come back ever"

And funnily enough they lost the next week to the Suns, almost as if the underlying issues in that North game then manifested in a loss the following week, and has led to media criticism. Kinda makes the case for not just fixating on the win but instead addressing underlying trends to prevent losses cropping up in future weeks.

We're third in Points For and sixth for Points Against in the last 5 games which might be too small a sample (I can't find a 10-game form ladder) but is probably a bit more relevant than looking at the season as a whole where trends are masked somewhat by early season rounds which are no longer any more relevant than results last year.

That's far too simplistic. It's not the most important if underlying stats are suggesting a concerning trend and we drop off come finals. Then the people just high fiving because of regular season wins will be shocked and angry at our sudden loss of form and the rest of us will be pointing to.. The stats.

Do you think the coaches give them the week off after a win because there's nothing to improve?
I love keeping things simple SM 😎

I just made a point that the “W” is the most important (and only) stat that matters… in every single game, H&A and finals.

I wasn’t making any comment about improvements … hell yeah, we need to keep improving as much as possible.

Not sure what the Pies various stats were like last year… seemed like they weren’t great, and they ‘just’ won many games… and in the end, they (just) got the “W” in the granny.

I love keeping things simple SM 😎

I just made a point that the “W” is the most important (and only) stat that matters… in every single game, H&A and finals.

I wasn’t making any comment about improvements … hell yeah, we need to keep improving as much as possible.

Not sure what the Pies various stats were like last year… seemed like they weren’t great, and they ‘just’ won many games… and in the end, they (just) got the “W” in the granny.

So because it worked out for the Pies we shouldn't worry because we keep (for now) winning?

They won the GF by a goal.

I like this idea:

I like the concept, and it would be interesting from a fan's perspective, but there are a couple of issues with it.

Firstly, teams have different list priorities so will target specific players and hence would rate them higher.

Second, if I were a recruiter I wouldn't invest any time into the list. I'd also be concerned about the info being hacked or leaked, and I wouldn't want to divulge any intellectual property.

Also, if my first pick was pick 18. I wouldn't care which players went 1-10 and in which order they fell. I'd be looking at players that will potentially fall around that pick and select the best possible.

So i think the concept is flawed and unlikely to see the light of day. That's why Twomey has a gig, to help the fans wade through all the info. It would be interesting if it ever were to eventuate.

Oh the pain lol 5 worst losses that aren't finals

Ticky i think i can guess a few of those games lol without watching depending how far back it goes??

2023 vs Geelong
2015 vs Hawthorn at ANZ
1998 vs St Kilda
1997 vs Adelaide
2009 vs Melbourne

Probably way off lol oh the video wasnt about the worst performances so to speak

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the concept, and it would be interesting from a fan's perspective, but there are a couple of issues with it.

Firstly, teams have different list priorities so will target specific players and hence would rate them higher.

Second, if I were a recruiter I wouldn't invest any time into the list. I'd also be concerned about the info being hacked or leaked, and I wouldn't want to divulge any intellectual property.

Also, if my first pick was pick 18. I wouldn't care which players went 1-10 and in which order they fell. I'd be looking at players that will potentially fall around that pick and select the best possible.

So i think the concept is flawed and unlikely to see the light of day. That's why Twomey has a gig, to help the fans wade through all the info. It would be interesting if it ever were to eventuate.
There is absolutely no way clubs will want to give away this kind of information.

First rule of negotiation: understate your level of interest.

If a club is seeking to trade in a young player from another club, the last thing they’ll want is a “list” out there, showing how highly they rated that player.

Furthermore, clubs won’t want their players knowing they were a “last resort” selection because all the club’s preferred picks were already gone. Not good for morale.

It’s a nice idea in theory, but the clubs won’t support it.

Too true. The same weekend we blew their comeback out of the water with a much bigger turnaround in half the game time.

Headline : "Swans left drooping again with flaccid first half footy fizzer"

Headline "Unstoppable Pies in never say die record turnaround against fierce and determined Kangaroos outfit"

Sheesh, give me a break. I've seen fiercer kangaroos bounce off my fender.

"Determined Kangaroos outfit" - A skippy suit with a stuck zip

Whenever the Pies pinch a win, it's deemed "inevitable", "irresistable" and "unstoppable". The many times their comebacks have failed hardly merit a mention. Losses are labelled as "plucky", "dogged", "fought to the last" and "unlucky". This narrative was used effectively in 2023 to give them a psychological edge, pushing teams to panic (afraid of the bogey Pies) and helping to draw umpires into the narrative.

Moot?

Perhaps but in fact it actually underlines my point that getting the win isn't necessarily the most important stat....Wouldn't it make more sense to focus on the areas we're not performing well to improve them to continue winning?

I'm sure Horse or any coach would be looking at and interpreting statistics from every game. It doesn't mean all stats are equal. If our game plan results in a poor statistic in one area like, say, disposal efficiency. The coaches may deem that simply a consequence of embracing a style of play that embraces high risk fast ball movement.

Forward half turnover is another that might be expected from fast ball movement, but depending on how fast our players can get back and re-shape our defence it may be of little concern in the larger picture.

At the risk of sounding like a fence sitter, it remains up to the coaching staff to determine which stats are of particular importance to our team and our game style.

I'm sure Horse or any coach would be looking at and interpreting statistics from every game. It doesn't mean all stats are equal. If our game plan results in a poor statistic in one area like, say, disposal efficiency. The coaches may deem that simply a consequence of embracing a style of play that embraces high risk fast ball movement.

Forward half turnover is another that might be expected from fast ball movement, but depending on how fast our players can get back and re-shape our defence it may be of little concern in the larger picture.

At the risk of sounding like a fence sitter, it remains up to the coaching staff to determine which stats are of particular importance to our team and our game style.
It may also guide them as to what to concentrate on at training.

I was told this discussion wouldn't continue in this thread so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to reply to you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back