Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno why they can't just have everyone playing, give the NSW and QLD + WA teams home games and call it round 1.

The bye stuff was a nonsense this year.

I guess the idea is to get all eyeballs on the games in NSW and QLD which is lost if you have 9 games as normal.

I guess the idea is to get all eyeballs on the games in NSW and QLD which is lost if you have 9 games as normal.
It really wouldn't make much difference. If you have us playing Collingwood and GWS playing Carlton etc. there is still going to be a lot of interest, even if North and the Bulldogs are playing the next day at Marvel.

And it isn't worth compromising the draw for the first half of the season either way.

Round 0 still a go but with changes

Let me guess:

"Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton are supportive of the Round 0 concept, but have requested that all northern clubs play their fixtures at Marvel Stadium, and that all academy players are made available via silent auction, to be held immediately after the match. The AFL is seriously considering the request".

The purpose (at least this year) was also to shift the start of the season forward one week in the northern markets to reduce the jump that the NRL gets on the AFL, and to take advantage of a small lull in media coverage of NRL in the week following the NRL’s Vegas trip.

If the concept of OR is abandoned, does the AFL just shift back to its traditional (or more recent) start time that fits in with what the southern markets are accustomed to but ignores what might work in the northern markets?

The purpose (at least this year) was also to shift the start of the season forward one week in the northern markets to reduce the jump that the NRL gets on the AFL, and to take advantage of a small lull in media coverage of NRL in the week following the NRL’s Vegas trip.

If the concept of OR is abandoned, does the AFL just shift back to its traditional (or more recent) start time that fits in with what the southern markets are accustomed to but ignores what might work in the northern markets?
But why does it matter if there are games also in Melbourne and WA that weekend?

We would still have a big game against a big Victorian club on Thursday or Friday night to open the season.

You could have the two SA teams go to perth and play a double header on Sunday. You could have the remaining vic teams just play in melbourne. And then we don't have to have all the silly byes in the first two months of the year.

to take advantage of a small lull in media coverage of NRL in the week following the NRL’s Vegas trip.

Am I the only person in Australia who knows how to read a calendar?

"Opening round" was during round 2 of the NRL season, and there was a game played in Parramatta that weekend. There was no 'lull'.

It's just a shitty idea executed by shitty executives who think that Parramatta is a spell from Harry Potter.

Round 0 Gather round in NSW whilst the other mob take that STUPID game to Vegas.

Except they took the game to Vegas the week before Round 0!!

But why does it matter if there are games also in Melbourne and WA that weekend?

We would still have a big game against a big Victorian club on Thursday or Friday night to open the season.

You could have the two SA teams go to perth and play a double header on Sunday. You could have the remaining vic teams just play in melbourne. And then we don't have to have all the silly byes in the first two months of the year.
The problem is they still want Richmond and Carlton to open the season in Melbourne. Given at least one of those clubs are playing interstate they don't want other matches being played in Melbourne.

The problem is they still want Richmond and Carlton to open the season in Melbourne. Given at least one of those clubs are playing interstate they don't want other matches being played in Melbourne.
They could just move that game to Thursday of round 2. In 2022 they opened the season with Bulldogs and Melbourne at the MCG so there is nothing stopping them doing that.

Compromising the entire draw for that one game doesn't make any sense.

Am I the only person in Australia who knows how to read a calendar?

"Opening round" was during round 2 of the NRL season, and there was a game played in Parramatta that weekend. There was no 'lull'.

It's just a shitty idea executed by shitty executives who think that Parramatta is a spell from Harry Potter.
I agree they kinda stuffed that up in terms of getting NRL supporters to come to AFL games instead. But I do think there was something of a media window opened up early in the week after the coverage of Vegas weekend subsided.

Why not have a Thursday and Friday night match in NSW, then a double header in Qld on Saturday Arvo, double header Saturday night in Perth then Carlton vs Richmond and whatever other matches need to be played in Melbourne all on the Sunday.
That means all matches are out of Melbourne until Sunday, no byes required, Perth gets some love too and they can really pump up the Northern markets on the Thursday, Friday, Saturday. The time difference means the later starts in Perth aren't causing drama and there shouldn't be a lot of shared time slots.
If they really want to go all out they could get one of the Melbourne teams to buy a home game at Canberra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, who cares? What difference does it makes to us if journalists in Melbourne get a junket?
The club commented on it at the time that it was part of giving a burst of energy and focus to NSW footy which is not just about that round.

Reports again last week about non-vic clubs having to always talk to HQ over zooms. R0 being NSW/QLD only was just one small way to begin to address some of that.

The club commented on it at the time that it was part of giving a burst of energy and focus to NSW footy which is not just about that round.

Reports again last week about non-vic clubs having to always talk to HQ over zooms. R0 being NSW/QLD only was just one small way to begin to address some of that.
The AFL could easily still all go up to Sydney in that round even if there were games also being played in other states.

I dunno why our own fans would want the draw compromised and extra byes over something as frivolous as zoom calls.

Last edited:

For anyone who wants to listen, go to the 13 minute mark for Warner talk. Mail is he'll sign one more for us but likely to want to go home after that. Not sure how I feel about that, hope the next one is a long contract I guess

For anyone who wants to listen, go to the 13 minute mark for Warner talk. Mail is he'll sign one more for us but likely to want to go home after that. Not sure how I feel about that, hope the next one is a long contract I guess
My take on that is he may sign until FA, and then possibly leave after that

Last edited:
The AFL could easily still all go up to Sydney in that round even if there were games also being played in other states.

I dunno why our own fans would want the draw compromised and extra byes over something as frivolous as zoom calls.
I wonder why our own fans would be arguing against something our own club is saying worked out well for us and wants to see continue over something as frivoulous as an extra bye or one days extra or less break in an already heavily compromised draw.

You don't like the consequences of R0, my point is the club likes it, and I personally don''t care so this is where I stop playing this round of smart-arse on the internet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back