Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah agreed, but if we can stay on the opposite side of the draw, I would love a GF without a Vic team.

Well we have to play someone and it cannot be the Eagles I am guessing.

That was some first qtr by Carlton - Gerard Whatley on Monday

Carlton off a 6 day break flew up to Sydney and it was unfortunately a bad time to face the giants, they played poorly in patches and even Cripps had to ruck.. But they were brave and after an electric start they almost pulled off the miracle.

If it was in Melbourne they would have won.

Up next are the Northern Academies an unfair advantage as we march towards grand final day at the MCG

GWS will be top 4 in two weeks after they beat Richmond and the Suns (in Sydney). Crazy year
They’d be the one team I want to avoid in finals.

You just know they’ll play out of their skin and everything seemingly goes their way when we play them in a final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Comben is quite a remarkable story - spent most of his first 3 years injured, finally gets a decent injury-free run & today played 100% game time.

North do actually have some very good players emerging.

One thing about GWS, they recruit for speed. All these youngsters are electric like Fonzi and Jones - Jones was on fast forward last night. Part of their transition game plan.

Fast recruitment is winning recruitment.

Yours in speed, JHWF.

Gotta give GWS time to grow organically. I'd imagine a lot of their early fans base is parents with young kids who want their kids to support an afl team. And then other casual fans who just chose the new team because they live west and have a general interest in Aussie rules. And then the general casual fans who were never invested enough to support the swans, figured they'd jump on the Giants bandwagon as the shiny new toy. Over the next 2-3 decades that fan base will grow naturally.

I remember it wasn't too long ago that the swans were happy with a turnout of 30k+. I only started following in 2005 so I wasn't around for the more dire times.

Gotta give GWS time to grow organically. I'd imagine a lot of their early fans base is parents with young kids who want their kids to support an afl team. And then other casual fans who just chose the new team because they live west and have a general interest in Aussie rules. And then the general casual fans who were never invested enough to support the swans, figured they'd jump on the Giants bandwagon as the shiny new toy. Over the next 2-3 decades that fan base will grow naturally.

I remember it wasn't too long ago that the swans were happy with a turnout of 30k+. I only started following in 2005 so I wasn't around for the more dire times.
Super League War seemed to be the big breakthrough the Swans needed, lots of people were discouraged by what was happening to rugby league back then and the AFL served as an escape. People turned up around 1995-96.

We will see if the long game works for both expansion clubs, it could take generations.

Super League War seemed to be the big breakthrough the Swans needed, lots of people were discouraged by what was happening to rugby league back then and the AFL served as an escape. People turned up around 1995-96.

We will see if the long game works for both expansion clubs, it could take generations.
That is exactly what happened, then we made the grannie, and the rest is history. Super League took away the tribal suburban ground origins of league. Once the masses saw AFL, many stuck with it.

That grannie was great timing on the swans part. I remember plugger kicking the point against Essendon being all over the news. Before that. I'd never really seen any coverage of the swans. I'd seen the game as I was flipping through channels, paused for like 20 seconds and thought to myself that the game looked scrappy and I had no idea what the rules were. I'd watch something, flip back through the channels to see the game was still going 2 hours later and thought. Geez, how long do these games go for.

Fast forward a decade and a couple of mates got me into the swans, taught me the rules - that was mid-way through the 2005 season. Watched the amazing comeback against Geelong, and Nick Davis' 4th quarter heroics. Won the flag a couple of weeks later, and the rest was history. What a great year to discover the swans. It's been a great ride ever since!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back