Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I was hoping he would say "We're not going to allow ourselves to get consumed by the excitement of the week, and go into this game with a more relaxed/mature mindset knowing that a job needs to be done to win a premiership"

Instead he mentioned something about not stressing about people requesting tickets to the game lmao

Then they interviewed Lachie Neale and he said exactly what i wish Hayward would have said.

What they say during interviews or on footy shows really, essentially, means nothing to me.

I want to see it on the field and we will see it this Saturday. I’m tired of sound bites and the "we’re different now" narrative. Not saying they shouldn’t say it, but I want to see it.

In a nutshell, just bloody win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny both he and Errol struggled to actually articulate lessons learned from 2022. At least Hayward said not to get bogged down in media commitments and ticketing requests, but would be more interested in learning what they took from on-field lessons, but maybe they don't want to reveal them.

What they say during interviews or on footy shows really, essentially, means nothing to me.

I want to see it on the field and we will see it this Saturday. I’m tired of sound bites and the "we’re different now" narrative. Not saying they shouldn’t say it, but I want to see it.

What I will say is that a lot of players I've previously thought go into their shells a lot in finals (thinking guys like Heeney and Papley more often than not) have had a great Finals series which bodes well for the GF.

I think the nature of the media coverage is a product of how our season transpired. We started off so dominant and so far ahead of the rest of the competition, everyone had to give us our flowers by the time Rounds 10-14 came around. Then we got bored, and had a six week slump before waking back up for the last few weeks and in the finals.

Top team starts well, gets bored and turns it on for the finals is not a very compelling narrative. The Lions have a more compelling narrative, of starting off slowly and then coming back into it (see Hawthorn this year, GWS & Carlton last year). They also had the more interesting preliminary final, so obviously all the Monday shows start off with their game, etc.

It's not as if the media is any more Brisbane friendly than us structurally, I just think people find the Brisbane story more interesting and so that why the GF is being framed around them. It is what it is. It's better than the Bulldogs lovefest that happened in 2016.

I think the nature of the media coverage is a product of how our season transpired. We started off so dominant and so far ahead of the rest of the competition, everyone had to give us our flowers by the time Rounds 10-14 came around. Then we got bored, and had a six week slump before waking back up for the last few weeks and in the finals.

Top team starts well, gets bored and turns it on for the finals is not a very compelling narrative. The Lions have a more compelling narrative, of starting off slowly and then coming back into it (see Hawthorn this year, GWS & Carlton last year). They also had the more interesting preliminary final, so obviously all the Monday shows start off with their game, etc.

It's not as if the media is any more Brisbane friendly than us structurally, I just think people find the Brisbane story more interesting and so that why the GF is being framed around them. It is what it is. It's better than the Bulldogs lovefest that happened in 2016.
True that - they had us pegged for the GF midway through the season unequivocally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True that - they had us pegged for the GF midway through the season unequivocally.

Yeah exactly, the "Sydney need to win the GF, they've lost their last three" chat happened nationally from about Week 8 onwards. Not many more ways to skin that cat this week. Everyone knows the go.

Yep!
Exactly the way I feel.
I am purposely not listening to anyone from our club doing media until after we win the premiership.
Lose!
I don't want to hear how well they've done to get there.
Heard that in 2014, 2016 & 2022(too young my arse).

on the couch was all about brisbane, who sydney had to stop, and how (if they could), then they all tipped brisbane ... maybe i missed something ... but no surprise ...and good, make us the underdog ...
I don’t think people yet properly realise how fundamental a shift the Swans could have on how the game is played.

The swans have turned upside down all the standard markers for who should win a game of football. We don’t win contested ball, we don’t win clearances, we don’t take a lot of contested marks, we don’t have high time in our forward 50, we don’t have a lot if repeat entries into our forward 50. Instead we move the ball like a laser up the ground at any hint of a turnover, and we run and run and run so we can do it all day.

I don’t blame commentators for picking Brisbane. I am still in shock at how dominate the Swans were through the season and still have an unnerving doubt about whether our game style can live up to finals.

If we win on Saturday, the definition of good finals football will be uprooted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back