Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

If you dish up soft continually in GFs, then people are going to equate it with anything including being nice if it fits the narrative. Win some GFs FFS and then the insinuation goes away I say.

That is reality.
Sure, but I would say that our toughest, hardest, most committed players over the decades - Jude Bolton, Brett Kirk, Josh Kennedy, James Rowbottom - have also been our fairest, calmest, "nicest" players.

If there is a lack of toughness and hardness in our team, I would actually start by looking at some of those who are maybe not so calm and nice.

Sure, but I would say that our toughest, hardest, most committed players over the decades - Jude Bolton, Brett Kirk, Josh Kennedy, James Rowbottom - have also been our fairest, calmest, "nicest" players.

If there is a lack of toughness and hardness in our team, I would actually start by looking at some of those who are maybe not so calm and nice.
I am am not making the insinuation.

But when you lose many GFs by lots in a short space of time then the crows come a crowing. They are too nice. No big bodied mid. Have lost the Bloods spirit. Winning covers cracks. Losing, especially continually and sensationally invites people to investigate and delve and expose any crack whether real or made up. People exploit this stuff because that is what some people are like. Whether you like it or not. That is life. At the top.

The challenge to the Swans players is if they want to atone for the GF losses or the way they approach GF in future then they indeed need to change something. If there is a lack of toughness then disprove it. If it is game plan then the coaches need to change something. To continue to do the same thing and expect a different result is...........

Winning changes everything.

Losing doesn't define you.

It is what you do to rectify it is what defines you.

I would have the following transcript on the wall when the players return from holidays to preseason training.

As to the Swans’ collapse in the AFL grand final, has the fabled “No dickheads” policy been taken too far? Is the team now filled with such nice blokes, who never get out of line, and never raise their voices let alone shirt-collar a teammate, that when things go south like they did last Saturday, there was no one there to lay down the law and say what needed to be said: “#FFS! Contest for the freaking ball! Do something! If we can’t win the match, at least win the fight! If we can’t lift the trophy, at least let’s take a piece of these blokes home with us, to show our mothers.”

And yes, I am being a little theatrically thuggish, but listen to what Swans midfielder – whatever that is – Robbie Fox said after the match.
“It was physical to start with. They came for the fight and we weren’t up to it. Then it turned into a mental game and you just have to be off 1 or 2 per cent. It’s just disappointing to not show up … it’s funny to say we had a great feeling before the game. Everyone was calm and composed.”
Exactly.

But the worry for me was not the calm composure before the game, it was the remarkably calm composure during the match, even as the Swans house was burning down around them.
Embarrassing to once again read what Fox said after the game a few weeks later.

Let’s say it was another team in our place, many of us would be saying…………”what a bunch of soft c..ks”!

But when you lose many GFs by lots in a short space of time then the crows come a crowing. They are too nice. No big bodied mid. Have lost the Bloods spirit. Winning covers cracks. Losing, especially continually and sensationally invites people to investigate and delve and expose any crack whether real or made up. People exploit this stuff because that is what some people are like. Whether you like it or not. That is life. At the top.

The challenge to the Swans players is if they want to atone for the GF losses or the way they approach GF in future then they indeed need to change something. If there is a lack of toughness then disprove it. If it is game plan then the coaches need to change something. To continue to do the same thing and expect a different result is...........

If it is the game plan then the coaches need to change something, but if it's the players, then the coaches also need to do something. They pick the team.

The two things are not mutually exclusive.
It's not about being nice(which we all know) it's about being able to switch on the steely determination and get the best out of ourselves physically and mentally. Thinking we don't need to is where "soft" comes in.

Absolutely 200% this.

The two things are not mutually exclusive.
It's not about being nice(which we all know) it's about being able to switch on the steely determination and get the best out of ourselves physically and mentally. Thinking we don't need to is where "soft" comes in.
If you have that instinctive, uncompromising hardness and competitiveness, then it's less likely to be shaken, and easier to switch onto as you say. Not enough of ours have that. Their version of hardness and competitiveness is giving lip service and shirtfronting blokes and pumping up the crowd after a goal like they are the Undertaker. But putting their heads over the ball? Tackling? Chasing? Nah not for them.

If it is the game plan then the coaches need to change something, but if it's the players, then the coaches also need to do something. They pick the team.
I reckon every player will have a little cloud hovering over them when they arrive at preseason day 1. That is the ones that accept responsibility for the pathetic performance they dished up in the GF. These are the players that will win us the next premiership. These are the guys that won't accept mediore. These are the guys that will look at themselves and say I did not run hard enough then. I won't do that again. These are the guys that will say I should have done....but I didn't. They know who they are. They know what they did, or didn't. These are the guys, if they realise their potential, realise how much they can influence the team, realise how much they can effect change in the team both individually and collectively are the guys who will lead us to a premiership. They know who they are.

I reckon Sheldrick will put them all to shame and lead by example. This man is indeed the saviour. Love the Sheldrick.

I reckon every player will have a little cloud hovering over them when they arrive at preseason day 1. That is the ones that accept responsibility for the pathetic performance they dished up in the GF. These are the players that will win us the next premiership. These are the guys that won't accept mediore. These are the guys that will look at themselves and say I did not run hard enough then. I won't do that again. These are the guys that will say I should have done....but I didn't. They know who they are. They know what they did, or didn't. These are the guys, if they realise their potential, realise how much they can influence the team, realise how much they can effect change in the team both individually and collectively are the guys who will lead us to a premiership. They know who they are.

I reckon Sheldrick will put them all to shame and lead by example. This man is indeed the saviour. Love the Sheldrick.
I did not anticipate this comment taking the turn it did. And yet... I should've. :p

If you have that instinctive, uncompromising hardness and competitiveness, then it's less likely to be shaken, and easier to switch onto as you say. Not enough of ours have that. Their version of hardness and competitiveness is giving lip service and shirtfronting blokes and pumping up the crowd after a goal like they are the Undertaker. But putting their heads over the ball? Tackling? Chasing? Nah not for them.
Don't think it's as extreme as that. If you're correct (I don't think you are, at least not completely) we are totally stuffed when everyone comes hunting us next season.
I don't accept that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back