Preview Sydney v Bulldogs SCG Sunday 3:20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have questions over how we are bringing Mills back.

It seems odd to bring him back on the wing, when that is the position we have probably been strongest all year and also requires a lot of running.

My guess is we don’t think he is ready to play in the guts, but that still doesn’t explain the wing. Why not in defence, where we have been a little bit weaker of late? Is the concern that we not sure if he is sharp enough?

Also odd to bring him back when we are not confident he can play out a full game.

It seems like we have been trying to find a way to bring him in as soon as possible, potentially to help him be cherry ripe for when finals swing around. I do wonder though if we could have achieved a similar result by being him back through the reserves, while also making sure he can play out a full game in a position that suits the team’s needs when he does play firsts.

If he wasn’t captain, would we have taken another approach?

I have questions over how we are bringing Mills back.

It seems odd to bring him back on the wing, when that is the position we have probably been strongest all year and also requires a lot of running.

My guess is we don’t think he is ready to play in the guts, but that still doesn’t explain the wing. Why not in defence, where we have been a little bit weaker of late? Is the concern that we not sure if he is sharp enough?

Also odd to bring him back when we are not confident he can play out a full game.

It seems like we have been trying to find a way to bring him in as soon as possible, potentially to help him be cherry ripe for when finals swing around. I do wonder though if we could have achieved a similar result by being him back through the reserves, while also making sure he can play out a full game in a position that suits the team’s needs when he does play firsts.

If he wasn’t captain, would we have taken another approach?

Have we said he's coming back on the wing? Would think Warner will play there and Mills will fill Fox's role of roaming where he's needed.

Have we said he's coming back on the wing? Would think Warner will play there and Mills will fill Fox's role of roaming where he's needed.
It's been suggested by others.

I also disagree with that. Gulden, Warner, Campbell, Lloyd - wing sorted.

Mills can take Fox's defensive forward job for this week if we're using Robbie as a KPD, maybe on Dale.

Thinking Mills starts but gets subbed at half time to manage load
Mills needs continuity not sitting on his arse Jack. He has proved before he needs weeks to come to hand after having extended lay offs.Believe me with 5 weeks to go then another gap he needs as many minutes as he can get if we want him close to the best Callum Mills we can get in finals.

It's been suggested by others.

I also disagree with that. Gulden, Warner, Campbell, Lloyd - wing sorted.

Mills can take Fox's defensive forward job for this week if we're using Robbie as a KPD, maybe on Dale.

Sounds like you're agreeing with me not disagreeing - we seem agreed he should take Fox's role so Fox can play down back.

Will be interesting to see if Francis comes in.

Sounds like you're agreeing with me not disagreeing - we seem agreed he should take Fox's role so Fox can play down back.

Yeah we agree. I was disagreeing with him being one of our main wingers. At this stage anyway given fitness/sharpness and I think we have some of the league's best in that position already.

We'd probably have just named Francis if he was planned to be in.

Maybe if Hayward is out, we keep Fox forward and bring him in.

Mills needs continuity not sitting on his arse Jack. He has proved before he needs weeks to come to hand after having extended lay offs.Believe me with 5 weeks to go then another gap he needs as many minutes as he can get if we want him close to the best Callum Mills we can get in finals.
Good point. Just don’t want him sore and miss another week, want him to play every week. VFL is nowhere near the intensity or pace so support him coming through the seniors.

We are a better team with him in it,
When game fit?
100% spot on.
But he wasn't.................from the Horse's mouth.
Horse said he had to play more minutes than expected & was going to be subbed off.
Is that how bad our planning was?
Did Horse think we may not need to sub someone off?
Not smart.
Reserves is exactly for such a scenario.
All done now so it doesn't matter but he would have been cherry ripe after a week or two in the reserves.
Now it seems a little desperate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd probably have just named Francis if he was planned to be in.

Maybe if Hayward is out, we keep Fox forward and bring him in.

We have named Francis haven't we? He's in the team as things stand. It could be to give Hayward a late test though that he hasn't just been straight up named out.

We have named Francis haven't we? He's in the team as things stand. It could be to give Hayward a late test though that he hasn't just been straight up named out.
No, he's in the last 3 on the extended bench, which usually means he'll remain an emergency.

No, he's in the last 3 on the extended bench, which usually means he'll remain an emergency.

Usually, not always. I think as per the above, there's a lot depending on if Hayward gets up.

Sometimes I've seen the Sunday squad trimmed from people named on the ground, I don't think the ordering on the team sheet means much at all.

Usually, not always. I think as per the above, there's a lot depending on if Hayward gets up.

Sometimes I've seen the Sunday squad trimmed from people named on the ground, I don't think the ordering on the team sheet means much at all.
Yeah I did say usually. If Hayward's even in doubt, for me it becomes...

Out: Rampe, Papley, Hayward
In: Francis, Co Warner, Mills

Sub would be Wicks as per usual practice and given Gus or Magor aren't on the extended bench, is a better option than Mitchell.

When game fit?
100% spot on.
But he wasn't.................from the Horse's mouth.
Horse said he had to play more minutes than expected & was going to be subbed off.
Is that how bad our planning was?
Did Horse think we may not need to sub someone off?
Not smart.
Reserves is exactly for such a scenario.
All done now so it doesn't matter but he would have been cherry ripe after a week or two in the reserves.
Now it seems a little desperate

And they managed him last week

I hope Hayward plays as long as he can't make things worse then why not play. Mills will always need AFL game time, we only have 5 weeks, he needs to play . He will be better for then run and the rest surely .

Yeah don't think it matters, nor is the last name on the bench always the sub

I wouldn't be surprised if Hayward still plays.

Players train separately all the time for various reasons, usually all injury or niggle-related. If Hayward hadn't appeared in the injury updates from earlier in the week I doubt reporters would've noticed or found it noteworthy enough to comment on.

Might just be part of keeping it light ,
I've busted my ankles a lot running etc, not as much playing footy (nor AFL obviously) But that makes sense.

If he is out though, I hope they just don't name him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back