Preview Sydney Vs North Melbourne - A Danger Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly a few weeks ago, I was strongly thinking about titling this game Sydney vs The bye, but since then two things have happened.

1. Sydney have fallen out of form (more on this and my theories later).
2. North not only have found a spine, but are actually playing some excellent football.

In the last 5 weeks, the biggest margin the Kangaroo's have had has been a 17 point loss to the Western Bulldogs who got a fair chunk of assistance that we Swans fans are a little to familiar with. In their other games they had an incredibly impressive win against GC, a good performance against WCE, and two impressive performances against Melbourne and Collingwood (a game they were absolutely ROBBED in).

North have one of the most talented lists in the competition and it has finally started to bear fruit, they also match up incredibly well on us so yes, this is a major danger game.

TIME: 1:45pm Saturday
WEATHER: 16degrees sunny with a moderate north eastern wind
BONZ'S LOCATION DURING GAME: Sitting on couch watching game with a ham and cheese toastie, possibly nursing a concussion from boxing sparring session that morning.

Previous Meetings: Sydney have won the last five games between the two clubs, but three matches have been decided by less than 2 goals, one by 14 points and one by 38.

How do North match up on Sydney? Actually quite well, they have a forward line that can push our defence with Larkey and several dangerous medium talls than we usually struggle to match up with. Their midfield has had the edge over ours in recent years, with the loss of Heeney this could potentially spell trouble.

What has gone wrong for the Swans in recent weeks? To put it frankly, our efforts has not been there in quarters/ patches of a game. When our intensity drops off we can leak scores, and that has been how teams have been punishing is. Another large aspect of this has been our finishing over the last fortnight has been horrible, of we go by expected scores in the last fortnight (Expected average score by chances generated? we would have beated St Kilda by 14 points and would have won against Fremantle by 18.

Why has our pressure dropped off? Are the Swans going through a leak training load?
I honestly think yes we are currently putting together a tough training block, depending on the individual and the training program it takes 8-12 weeks (usually closer to 12) to see significant gains from a difficult training block, and around 10 weeks of hard repetition to hard training into practice. As usually it takes 4-6 weeks for fatigue to peak, this lines up perfectly with our bye round where we likely would have started this block.
Now this isn't enough to excuse us for our performances, but a difficult block can affect performances by 10-15%, but as you ease off it, gain active rest we should start seeing improvements over the next 3-4 weeks before ideally fully hitting our stride after the pre-finals bye in September

Where do we deploy Jordan?
Sheezel easily, I believe one of our midfielders may go head to head with Simpkin in the midfield to free themselves up.

How do I believe the match will play out?
I expect North to start out of the blocks with a high amount of dash and run, but as they are a young team they won't be able to sustain it, we should then ideally be able to run them down and grab the win, the key will be weathering the storm and taking the most of our own chances when we get momentum putting the game out of reach.

Final prediction
Sydney by 22 points, Bonz to have no concussion.

Bonz do you have any insider info on peak training loads - would be delighted if that’s the case, not as an excuse for our form but because i think that’s a brilliant plan for finals.

Swans by 15 points in a game marred by contraversy, not least the awarding of 10 coaches votes to Dylan Stephens after he almost single-handedly drags his team over the line. This despite being charged for a high hit on Papley, likely smashing Dyl's Brownlow hope.

Just win a first quarter for once that is half the issue.
I'm not concerned about winning Q1 as long as we limit their momentum. Let them blow all their reserves on a first quarter charge, then reel them in with a consistent effort over the next three quarters. Expect a brief surge from the Roos early in Q3 as the jelly snakes kick-in which we need to snuff out and put the foot down.

Honestly a few weeks ago, I was strongly thinking about titling this game Sydney vs The bye, but since then two things have happened.

1. Sydney have fallen out of form (more on this and my theories later).
2. North not only have found a spine, but are actually playing some excellent football.

In the last 5 weeks, the biggest margin the Kangaroo's have had has been a 17 point loss to the Western Bulldogs who got a fair chunk of assistance that we Swans fans are a little to familiar with. In their other games they had an incredibly impressive win against GC, a good performance against WCE, and two impressive performances against Melbourne and Collingwood (a game they were absolutely ROBBED in).

North have one of the most talented lists in the competition and it has finally started to bear fruit, they also match up incredibly well on us so yes, this is a major danger game.

TIME: 1:45pm Saturday
WEATHER: 16degrees sunny with a moderate north eastern wind
BONZ'S LOCATION DURING GAME: Sitting on couch watching game with a ham and cheese toastie, possibly nursing a concussion from boxing sparring session that morning.

Previous Meetings: Sydney have won the last five games between the two clubs, but three matches have been decided by less than 2 goals, one by 14 points and one by 38.

How do North match up on Sydney? Actually quite well, they have a forward line that can push our defence with Larkey and several dangerous medium talls than we usually struggle to match up with. Their midfield has had the edge over ours in recent years, with the loss of Heeney this could potentially spell trouble.

What has gone wrong for the Swans in recent weeks? To put it frankly, our efforts has not been there in quarters/ patches of a game. When our intensity drops off we can leak scores, and that has been how teams have been punishing is. Another large aspect of this has been our finishing over the last fortnight has been horrible, of we go by expected scores in the last fortnight (Expected average score by chances generated? we would have beated St Kilda by 14 points and would have won against Fremantle by 18.

Why has our pressure dropped off? Are the Swans going through a leak training load?
I honestly think yes we are currently putting together a tough training block, depending on the individual and the training program it takes 8-12 weeks (usually closer to 12) to see significant gains from a difficult training block, and around 10 weeks of hard repetition to hard training into practice. As usually it takes 4-6 weeks for fatigue to peak, this lines up perfectly with our bye round where we likely would have started this block.
Now this isn't enough to excuse us for our performances, but a difficult block can affect performances by 10-15%, but as you ease off it, gain active rest we should start seeing improvements over the next 3-4 weeks before ideally fully hitting our stride after the pre-finals bye in September

Where do we deploy Jordan?
Sheezel easily, I believe one of our midfielders may go head to head with Simpkin in the midfield to free themselves up.

How do I believe the match will play out?
I expect North to start out of the blocks with a high amount of dash and run, but as they are a young team they won't be able to sustain it, we should then ideally be able to run them down and grab the win, the key will be weathering the storm and taking the most of our own chances when we get momentum putting the game out of reach.

Final prediction
Sydney by 22 points, Bonz to have no concussion.
Great preview.

Gee, we have so much in common with North. Robbed by the Pies, swindled by the Dogs. Dylan Stephens, Horse, Blakey and er....nah, that's it.

Interesting analysis re-training load. I hope you're right. It would offer an alternative explanation and a sane one at that.

Do they really want to lose another Harley Reid ?

We have games against Richmond and West Coast (home) to come so we will likely finish 3rd last. The top end of the talent is pretty good, but there isn't a Harley Reid type. Reid was a standout the year before his final junior season as well. They are mostly mids at the top end so not sure what our strategy will be this year. We need a 2nd quality KPF going forward imo.

A 4 quarter ruthless effort required here.

I’ve got absolutely no doubt Horse will have torn the paint off the walls and with any luck with a good old fashioned spray plus the players humbling themselves we get back on track.
It’s the 4 quarter defensive effort is what I want to see here.
Amarty and McDonald need to pull their fingers out of their arses and that same finger needs to be extracted out of Wicks’s bot bot.

LDU will probably have a field day against us. Don't know how we stop him.

Our Forward line needs to figure their shit out. With Heeney out (atm) we lose a consistent midfield goal scorer. We cannot waste our inside 50s let alone our recently deplorable set shots.

This is a clear danger game and I can’t believe Norf are $8.50. They match up well against us and recent history suggests it will be tight. We should have lost last game and the last time we played them here, it was J Mac’s last quarter that won it for us after we struggled all game.

100% need a response from this group after the Saints disaster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonz do you have any insider info on peak training loads - would be delighted if that’s the case, not as an excuse for our form but because i think that’s a brilliant plan for finals.

I work as a trainer and have been a competitive athlete for years, so understand how they work.

Cannot guarantee that we have done one, but logically it would make sense, especially as our finals spot is secure.

I’m not that down about the last two weeks.

We have been outplayed for the last two weeks for most of the game.

We’ve pulled together short bursts of momentum within those games and still have had more shots at goal and had our chances to win.

3 losses at what, a total of 7/8 points?

We aren’t going that badly, we just need to clean up our ball movement/goal kicking inside 50.

I’d rather we have the staggers now than in 2 months time.

LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher, Simpson, Powell, Phillips and Xerri all playing well. Our mids are going to have to get stuck in otherwise we will barely get first look at the ball and have to depend on turnover to get our hands on the pill. Expect them to bust their chops at the contest, retain possession with plenty of short kicks then create a bit of run through guys like McKercher, Fisher and Sheezel.

Win, lose or draw, all I want to see is high defensive pressure for four quarters and clean execution of basic skills including goal kicking.

A statistical trend I've started to notice is that we tend to look much better in games where we get around 10% more kicks than the opposition and handball far less. I'd like to see more switches and patient build ups rather than resorting to the dump kick down the line or to big packs in the forward 50. Lower the eyes and look for leading targets in the 40-50m range.

So far in 2024, we have:

1. Lost to Richmond
2. Lost to St Kilda
3. Flopped over the line against West Coast

The Roos should have won the corresponding match last year - but for a technicality.

Anyone who thinks we don’t have a problem against the lesser sides isn’t being honest with themselves.

This is a massive danger game.

And a real test of Horse’s ability to motivate.

I work as a trainer and have been a competitive athlete for years, so understand how they work.

Cannot guarantee that we have done one, but logically it would make sense, especially as our finals spot is secure.
I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, which could be a reason why the top teams are all stumbling at the moment.

If we assume Heeney can't overturn the suspension, I would go in with this:

Defenders: McCartin, Melican, Rampe, Blakey, Florent, Lloyd, Campbell

Mids: Warner, Rowbottom, Mills, Gulden, McInerney, Parker, Adams

Fwds: Amartey, McLean, McDonald, Wicks, Hayward, Papley, Jordan (Sheezel)

Ruck: Grundy

Sub: Fox

In: Mills, Parker
Out: Roberts, Heeney

- Yes, scapegoating a young guy after a terrible loss. Wicks would be the next one in the gun, and given Fox played forward on the weekend, could be in the 22 and Wicks sub potentially. Amartey as has been floated on here has been pretty woeful since his 9, and Hamling has been playing well and probably the only one in the VFL knocking down the door.

- Yes, Mills and Parker straight in - we need to see how this is all going to work come finals time, so the sooner the tinkering starts, the better. Parker wasn't injured, he would have been put through his paces. Mills has been at full training for weeks.

- Jordan/Parker/Adams interchangeable depending where Sheezel lines up.

- I still stand by Fox being the perfect sub. Can play anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back