Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not always. There is a point with a key defender that using pick 6 is a good decision. That point is roughly a gun two way KPD (I.e. the Rance/Taylor/McGovern of this world).

I don't know if I'd classify a Talia like career as worth it for pick 6 though. I can live with it without being upset, but it is underwhelming.

It's not the absolute worst thing to spend on, but its certainly frivolous for a top 10 pick.

Here's the history of pick 6...just pointing out that KPDs have been selected for the past 3 years.

Pick 6 isn't pick 2 or 3, there's a big gap! How many of the below are not 'underwhelming' for pick 6?

2000: Dylan Smith (North Melbourne)
2001: Ashley Sampi (West Coast)
2002: Steven Salopek (Port Adelaide)
2003: Kepler Bradley (Essendon)
2004: Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs)
2005: Beau Dowler (Hawthorn)
2006: Mitch Thorp (Hawthorn)
2007: David Myers (Essendon)
2008: Chris Yarran (Carlton)
2009: Gary Rohan (Sydney)
2010: Reece Conca (Richmond)
2011: Chad Wingard (Port Adelaide)
2012: Jack Macrae (Western Bulldogs)
2013: Matthew Scharenberg (Collingwood)
2014: Caleb Marchbank (GWS)
2015: Aaron Francis (Essendon)

2016: Sam Petrevski-Seton (Carlton)
2017: Jaidyn Stephenson (Collingwood)
2018: Ben King (Gold Coast)
2019: Fischer McAsey (Adelaide)
2020: Denver Grainger-Barras (Hawthorn)

So interesting story, the planned developments at Alberton oval, a lot of the local residents are opposed to it and have a campaign running. The Advertiser and Sunday mail came in to do a story on it but have now advised that they won't run the story. Port power have said if they did, they would block all player interviews with them all season.
Here is an opportunity for the crows to get on the front foot...if you run the story, we'll double the amount of players you can access!

Here's the history of pick 6...just pointing out that KPDs have been selected for the past 3 years.

Pick 6 isn't pick 2 or 3, there's a big gap! How many of the below are not 'underwhelming' for pick 6?

There is also a big gap between pick 6 and pick 7-15 with quality as well ;)

You could make the case pick 6 is "cursed" pick, so to say, seeing how much of an outlier it is. Seeing in terms of average games per draftee, and players to get an AA nod, it's performed on par with pick 21.

Also why we're here, pick 40 has produced more AA players each, then pick 21 and 6 combined because now I'm looking for fun statistical outliers that do not mean anything. Pick 37 has also produced more AA players than pick 6.

Last edited:
There is also a big gap between pick 6 and pick 7-15 with quality as well ;)

You could make the case pick 6 is "cursed" pick, so to say, seeing how much of an outlier it is. Seeing in terms of average games per draftee, and players to get an AA nod, it's performed on par with pick 21.

Also why we're here, pick 40 has produced more AA players each, then pick 21 and 6 combined because now I'm looking for fun statistical outliers that do not mean anything. Pick 37 has also produced more AA players than pick 6.
My point is that draft picks are over rated, and there are plenty of superstars who are picked later, so anyone who says McAsey was a waste at pick 6 is cherry picking players! Some drafts are very even, and this was one of them. Who else was the standout at pick 6?
1616722665338.png

Pick 8, again hit and miss.
1616722476451.png

Pick 5: Hit and miss
1616722541274.png

Ick

Should have traded it away

So interesting story, the planned developments at Alberton oval, a lot of the local residents are opposed to it and have a campaign running. The Advertiser and Sunday mail came in to do a story on it but have now advised that they won't run the story. Port power have said if they did, they would block all player interviews with them all season.

Rucci at InDaily:

1616725703171.png

I'd love to see a list of KPDs taken late in the draft or even just the rookie list that have had great careers.

I wouldn't really classify Scharenberg as a KPD, but yeah - looking at that list that is a really, really mediocre list.

I'd love to see a list of KPDs taken late in the draft or even just the rookie list that have had great careers.

I wouldn't really classify Scharenberg as a KPD, but yeah - looking at that list that is a really, really mediocre list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nigel Smart
Chris McDermott
Ben Hart
Tony McGuinness
Anthony Modra
Greg Anderson
Mark Ricciuto
Shaun Rehn
Darren Jarman
Andrew McLeod
Simon Goodwin
Ben Rutten
Nathan Bassett
Nathan Bock
Scott Thompson
Patrick Dangerfield
Brodie Smith
Daniel Talia
Eddie Betts
Rory Sloane
Matt Crouch
Rory Laird

Are our 22 AAs. I thought there might have been more.

3 rookies
7 start up concessions
1 FA
5 trades
5 ND picks
1 Preseason draft pick

So, in nearly 30 years, we've drafted 5 AAs in the national draft.
Brodie Smith
Daniel Talia
Rory Sloane
Matt Crouch
Paddy Dangerfield

I don't think the percentage would be any higher or lower for any position on the ground.

For every top 10 KPD that don't make it, there's 2 or 3 top 10 mids who don't make it.

The last 20 pick 5s:

I see one KPD there (Hurley) who has had a pretty decent career.

1616727687732.png

AA KPDs from the last 10 years:

Harris Andrews - Academy
Darcy Moore - 9
Nick Haynes - 7
Tom Stewart - 40
Jeremy McGovern - Rookie
Dylan Grimes - PSD
Alex Rance - 18
Michael Hurley - 5
Daniel Talia - 13
Josh Gibson - Rookie
Easton Wood - 43
Cale Hooker - 54
Harry Taylor - 17
Scott Thompson - 37
Luke McPharlin - 10
Darren Glass - pick 11
Ted Richards - 27
Michael Johnson - PSD
Matthew Scarlett - 45 (F/S)
Ben Reid - pick 8

Excluding FS (Scarlett) and Academy players (Andrews) where bids weren't accepted:

First rounders: 9
Not first rounders: 9

The point is, you get lots of good defenders in the first round, and top 10 too.

Found a petition on it.

So?

Does this have anything to do with Erin Phillips and Soda not being on the radio in the mornings? Is this a protest??

No.its always been the case

Players, their managers and the club have always worked together in exploring surgery vs non-surgery options with the player getting a fair bit of say in the final decision

Shooter was no different and was looking for reasons to mask his real reason for moving $$$$$

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brad Crouch would disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back