Tarrant looks like hes an Eagle in 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Timmy from Thomastown said:
Ok so they were similar in status. Quality players, often injured, AA standard at their best, poor offield reputation.

That makes picks 15 and 33 (approx) about right on the money.

Having said that, I cant see how the Eagles could fit Tarrant in their salary cap without burning off a senior player. If a trade between the Eagles and Pies happened, it may have to be a player and a pick for cap reasons.
What do you know about WC's salary cap position?

Cousins, Braun and Wirrpanda are approaching veteran status.

Gardiner and Matera were earning a fair bit.

We've had some big improvers in the last 2 seasons, but I don't think WC would be under any more cap pressure than Sydney or Adelaide.

WC are one of the shrewdest off-field clubs, and I have no doubt whatsoever that our finances would be in order.

I certainly wouldn't bank on WC being forced to trade a player they had otherwise wanted to retain.

You can dream, I suppose.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
What do you know about WC's salary cap position?.

I'm speculating. If you've got room for Tarrant, good luck to you - it makes it easierfor the trade to occurr. Very few top teams recruit big names on big salaries, and theres a reason for that - the club generally feels responsible towards rewarding their currently listed players.

I hope we aren’t particularly interested in pick 33 or 34. Odds are we won’t build a midfield with that. Pick 15 or 16 might be good this year but I’d want Waters with it. At least we’d know what we were getting with the player. I’d still prefer an earlier pick though. Unless we can go along way toward building a midfield with a Tarrant trade there is no point. History says we don’t necessarily have a lot of direction in these things though. I would prefer to keep Tarrant then get 15/16 and 33/34. If anything I’d prefer to trade Tarrant with pick 10 for an earlier pick and that clubs second rounder perhaps with a fringe midfielder with pace. The point is getting an almost guaranteed quality midfielder and a good chance at another decent (with development) with an earlish second round pick. If WCE win the flag I recon they will be a lot keen on getting a marking forward as well. I still think Tarrant is more likely than not to be at Collingwood next year.

MarkT said:
I hope we aren’t particularly interested in pick 33 or 34. Odds are we won’t build a midfield with that. Pick 15 or 16 might be good this year but I’d want Waters with it.
How about pick 16 with Rowan Jones?

Malthouse probably reckons he's awesome because he was responsible for drafting him.

You can throw him on the pile.

MarkT said:
I hope we aren’t particularly interested in pick 33 or 34. Odds are we won’t build a midfield with that. Pick 15 or 16 might be good this year but I’d want Waters with it. At least we’d know what we were getting with the player. I’d still prefer an earlier pick though. Unless we can go along way toward building a midfield with a Tarrant trade there is no point. History says we don’t necessarily have a lot of direction in these things though. I would prefer to keep Tarrant then get 15/16 and 33/34. If anything I’d prefer to trade Tarrant with pick 10 for an earlier pick and that clubs second rounder perhaps with a fringe midfielder with pace. The point is getting an almost guaranteed quality midfielder and a good chance at another decent (with development) with an earlish second round pick. If WCE win the flag I recon they will be a lot keen on getting a marking forward as well. I still think Tarrant is more likely than not to be at Collingwood next year.

West Coast won't do a trade involving Waters, especially for Tarrant. Waters is easily in the club's best 22 and is seen as a potential 10+ year player. Tarrant would only play for another 5 or so. Would probably expect them to trade someone like McDougall if this was to occur.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
How about pick 16 with Rowan Jones?
I wouldn’t be remotely interested in Rowan Jones. I actually want to get rid of players of his ilk.
Gunnar Longshanks said:
Malthouse probably reckons he's awesome because he was responsible for drafting him.
I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised. MM is a poor judge of player talent IMO and Jones is the type he has favoured in the past.

bzparkes said:
West Coast won't do a trade involving Waters, especially for Tarrant.
I’m not saying they would. All I am talking about is what I’d want given our needs – not that I have anything to do with it.
bzparkes said:
Waters is easily in the club's best 22 and is seen as a potential 10+ year player.
Yes but WCE have a good and deep midfield. They wouldn’t miss him much. They made the GF last year without him. The reality is you have to give up a best 22 and an early pick for a marking forward. Whether you rate Tarrant is another issue.
bzparkes said:
Tarrant would only play for another 5 or so.
The timeframe in which your current squad can win flags.
bzparkes said:
Would probably expect them to trade someone like McDougall if this was to occur.
Not what Collingwood needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Pick 15/16 + Rosa.

That's a fair trade.
I don’t mind Rosa but unless we target specifically the midfielders we need (pace and grunt) it is not going to get us anywhere. If the pick was earlier then maybe but as it stands I’d hope we said no to that. It all revolves around whether we want Tarrant out or would only trade for the right deal. I would hope it’s the latter.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Pick 15/16 + Rosa.

That's a fair trade.

Can't agree with that

Seems to much like a Hay/Ottens deal where your paying a big price trade wise for a player because of performances in the past as oppossed to recent form

Bestbird said:
Can't agree with that

Seems to much like a Hay/Ottens deal where your paying a big price trade wise for a player because of performances in the past as oppossed to recent form
Rosa isn't in our best 22. And we'd be packaging with the lowest first-rounder.

I can't recall exactly what Ottens (two first-rounders?) and Hay went for, but I don't think what I've suggested is exorbitant.

Think about what we've given up for Chick and Stenglein in recent times.

I suppose you think McDougall and a 3rd rounder would be sufficient?

Think about this next year.
Forward line with Lynch, Hansen, Hunter/ Staker/ Graham.
We also got a few unknowns in Gaspar and Smith as well so you want to add Tarrant to this mix. :rolleyes:

Your dreaming if you want Waters or Selwood. Ones a future captain and the others a steignlein jr.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Rosa is an elite runner.

He is one of the top handful in our time trials.
We have runners. We need sprinters.

Collingwood’s midfield needs to replace Rowe, Lockyer and O’Bree with pace, disposal skill and hardness. Hard to find players that all those qualities. All day runners we don’t have to worry about. We traded for Steinfort because he ran his guts out tagging Buckley once. Hopefully we have learnt from that. Nothing against Rosa and I’d trade for him with something else but if we are going to give up Tarrant to WCE, which I doubt anyway, we have to get Waters and the first round pick. As I said, I’d prefer to upgrade pick 10. Something like pick 10, Tarrant and fringe player for a picks around 5 & 23 and a fringe player and draft 2 midfielders. Both clubs might get lucky in the swap of fringe players and each end up with a solid player.

MarkT said:
Nothing against Rosa and I’d trade for him with something else but if we are going to give up Tarrant to WCE, which I doubt anyway, we have to get Waters and the first round pick.
Rosa is quicker than Waters and has spent more time in the midfield.

Everyone bars up about Waters' hardness but there are question marks over his disposal.

I don't think Waters' future lies in the midfield.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Rosa is quicker than Waters and has spent more time in the midfield.

Everyone bars up about Waters' hardness but there are question marks over his disposal.

I don't think Waters' future lies in the midfield.
You may be right. We need hardness as it is but with Burns about to retire this year or next we especially need it. If Rosa was truly quick I’d favour him but as it stands I’d take Waters well and truly ahead of him for Collingwood's needs. Waters would at least give us a player that could slot in and add to the mix on day 1 and the draft pick would then hopefully get us a player for a year or two later that could be top level.

Even then we need to do more to get the midfield right. I don’t see Rosa as a necessary element. If you want to trade him then I’d consider another deal. No idea what that deal might be but forget about any decent draft picks.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Rosa isn't in our best 22. And we'd be packaging with the lowest first-rounder.

I can't recall exactly what Ottens (two first-rounders?) and Hay went for, but I don't think what I've suggested is exorbitant.

Think about what we've given up for Chick and Stenglein in recent times.

I suppose you think McDougall and a 3rd rounder would be sufficient?

No, A mei

I thought we paid too high a price for Chick (pick 8) FWIW but at least both he and the younger Stenglien had no questions in regards to fitness, form and off field issues. They also had leaderships qualities that the club needed at the time.

BTW

Ottens was traded for picks 12 & 16
Hay for pick 18

So considering how good this draft is your offer is comparable to these trades and Tarrant has as i suggested in my previous post has some similar issues to those players

Remove this Banner Ad

Tarrant looks like hes an Eagle in 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back