Tarrant looks like hes an Eagle in 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

dalethomas13 said:
personally i dont wanna see Taz go but if they do a deal it would have to involve a 1st rnd pick and a player. As i mentioned earlier i thought pick 15/16 and a player like rosa is fair- he is a victorian after all and a young midfielder so this would probably be the only way we would deal. The 1st rnd pick would have to be included otherwise he'll be donning the black n white again next yr which is fine by me and i think by most collingwood supporters.

Fair enough. The general consensus around here seems to be Rosa + 1st rounder is Tarrant's trade value.

Personally, I'd rather keep Rosa and that pick, and let Tarrant stay at the Pies or go elsewhere. Here's hoping my club feels the same way.

Here's also hoping Malthouse goes down the Chad Morrison route and trades Tarrant for Gardiner and a 4th round pick or something similar.:thumbsu:

Scotland said:
Fair enough. The general consensus around here seems to be Rosa + 1st rounder is Tarrant's trade value.

Personally, I'd rather keep Rosa and that pick, and let Tarrant stay at the Pies or go elsewhere. Here's hoping my club feels the same way.

Here's also hoping Malthouse goes down the Chad Morrison route and trades Tarrant for Gardiner and a 4th round pick or something similar.:thumbsu:

Knowing MM he will go for Banfield lmao

jlc

Gee, Fox Footy are going pretty hard on the Tarrant trade story.

Tonight, they reported that Tarrant was basically a goner and that "Collingwood have been aggressively shopping him around".

I don't know if that's BS or whether they've been given a really solid tip from someone who doesn't want to be named. Hard to believe that they'd just fabricate it completely. It might not eventuate, but there must be a pretty strong indication that Tarrant is on the move.

If Collingwood is a motivated seller, that changes the dynamic of the negotiations slightly.

It's no longer a case of another club making an offer that persuades Collingwood to part with Tarrant.

If they want to move him on, then this line pushed by a lot of Collingwood people of "give us what we want or we'll keep him and that's fine" goes out the window.

yeah, there was always that danger with taz. if hes had some serious disagreements with some people inside the club, and they have decided to move him on, then that drops his value again.

and the other variable is MM, for all his success, hes can be a very unforgiving man, and once you are on the wrong side of him, you generally stay that way. its why gardiner will never play for collingwood while hes in charge.

i know it happened to several other eagles too, during and after his time in perth.

but then again, there may be a few interested parties, and if thats the case, then you might get into a bidding war, which will mean you may get ABOVE his value.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
If they want to move him on, then this line pushed by a lot of Collingwood people of "give us what we want or we'll keep him and that's fine" goes out the window.
yeah, but they might be able to say "give us what we want of we'll trade him to someone else, thompson just offered us kelly, kingsley and their first rounder."

zero said:
yeah, but they might be able to say "give us what we want of we'll trade him to someone else, thompson just offered us kelly, kingsley and their first rounder."
I reckon that's a different dynamic to actually trying to persuade a club to trade a required player.

If Geelong, or whoever else, are dumb enough to pay over the odds for a guy who's being moved on, then good luck to them.

With a guy like Tarrant, you've got to ask "which club is going to back themselves to get the best out of him?"

WC would be close to the top of that list. Geelong would not.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
I reckon that's a different dynamic to actually trying to persuade a club to trade a required player.

If Geelong, or whoever else, are dumb enough to pay over the odds for a guy who's being moved on, then good luck to them.

With a guy like Tarrant, you've got to ask "which club is going to back themselves to get the best out of him?"

WC would be close to the top of that list. Geelong would not.
yeah, maybe. but it increases the chances that SOMEONE will be prepared to pay over the odds. which i doubt WC will do. they are generally very conservative.

which is sometimes not that great. the idea that we could have got fevola for gardiner last year if we had just gone harder and secured a higher pick to go along with it somehow is particularly grating. especially with DMac wanting to go home, too.

zero said:
yeah, maybe. but it increases the chances that SOMEONE will be prepared to pay over the odds. which i doubt WC will do. they are generally very conservative.

which is sometimes not that great. the idea that we could have got fevola for gardiner last year if we had just gone harder and secured a higher pick to go along with it somehow is particularly grating. especially with DMac wanting to go home, too.

tell me about it...

zero said:
Rosa + pick 16.

That's what we can afford to give up without it stinging. I reckon that trade balances several uncertainties:

a) whether Tarrant performs or disappoints at a new club
b) whether Rosa makes it big or becomes a standard outside mid
c) whether Collingwood gets a gun or a dud with pick 16

Those are all 50/50 propositions.

If the market suggests Tarrant is worth more, then good luck to the club that wants to cough up more than us.

They'll be getting stooged.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Rosa + pick 16.

That's what we can afford to give up without it stinging. I reckon that trade balances several uncertainties:

If the market suggests Tarrant is worth more, then good luck to the club that wants to cough up more than us.

Yeah, but this is suppose to be one of the best drafts ever, so pick 16 could turn out to be a gun player for 10 years. Plus Rosa who will be a quality player once he puts on a bit of muscle.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Rosa + pick 16.

i agree totally. we are sharing the significant risks on both sides of the trade

thecoastingcoaster said:
Yeah, but this is suppose to be one of the best drafts ever, so pick 16 could turn out to be a gun player for 10 years.
Pick 16 could turn out to be anything.

It could be the next Luke Molan (pick 9 in the 2001 'super-draft').

We are at a point where this kind of risk can be justified.

Let's say that pick 16 delivers a really good kid. What's that kid going to do to get us closer to a flag in the next 3 years?

Are we going to pick up a young KPP who's going to slot straight into our best 22?

Are we going to draft a young ruckman who manages to go past Cox and Seaby?

Are we going to draft a promising midfielder who can leap-frog the 14 guys already in that rotation?

We can afford to trade that pick. It's a matter of timing, and of taking a calculated risk in order to pinch a short-term boost.

thecoastingcoaster said:
Plus Rosa who will be a quality player once he puts on a bit of muscle.
We can cover Rosa.

How good do you think he's really going to be?

He's not going to be a Cousins, Kerr or Judd.

ablettjnr said:
Reported earlier today on SEN, collingwood and eagles have agreed in concept to trading Tarrant for the Eagles 1st and 2nd round picks.

Good trade. WCE would be unstopable with a top quality forward. Tarrant would be unstopable on the lead with quality midfield delivery. Absolutely unbeatable.

I guess it is a balance between now and tomorrow. Picks 1 and 2 will not stop them hiding players in the WAFL - and much to their credit, I wish the saints could do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies07 said:
You all keep talking about a fair trade but wake up and smell the lost premierships for want of a forwardline, we can keep Tarrant or lose him, makes no difference to us, we are rebuilding... if a contender wants an all australian forward then they are going to have to pay over odds for him or we keep him... get it?... it's a sellers market where Taz is concerned
nonsense, hes damaged goods, and we are doing fine without him.

its a fair trade or no trade.

one problem with the whole rosa + first round pick deal. When was the last time the Eagles got rid of a promising youngster that didn't request to be traded? You'd be pretty hard pressed to come up with one. That's why I don't think rosa will be part of any deal.
It's a nice idea but unless they want to leave we generally keep our promising youngsters and I can't see Rosa being any different.

sauce_head said:
Good trade. WCE would be unstopable with a top quality forward. Tarrant would be unstopable on the lead with quality midfield delivery. Absolutely unbeatable.

I guess it is a balance between now and tomorrow. Picks 1 and 2 will not stop them hiding players in the WAFL - and much to their credit, I wish the saints could do it.
You're right West Coast would be unstoppable with a quality forward, but unfortunetley Tarrant isn't a quality forward.

thecoastingcoaster said:
You're right West Coast would be unstoppable with a quality forward, but unfortunetley Tarrant isn't a quality forward.

Don't you think he is just frustrated at the Pies? I think he is quality. Has played most of this season with an injury, he will be good next season. Especially if he is not wholey linked to the teams success. He would become a bonus for WCE and as such would play much better.

But I do take your point on board.

GoOsH1 said:
one problem with the whole rosa + first round pick deal. When was the last time the Eagles got rid of a promising youngster that didn't request to be traded? You'd be pretty hard pressed to come up with one. That's why I don't think rosa will be part of any deal.
It's a nice idea but unless they want to leave we generally keep our promising youngsters and I can't see Rosa being any different.
yeah, there is that too. that might be a reason for the eagles to push their first two picks rather than rosa and pick 1.

but you never know, if an in principal trade is organized (say the eagles said "we have a trade, if you want to go to collingwood you can, but if you dont then you can stay"), and collingwood are allowed to negotiate with him, they might convince him to go home with a long deal on OK money.

sauce_head said:
Don't you think he is just frustrated at the Pies? I think he is quality. Has played most of this season with an injury, he will be good next season. Especially if he is not wholey linked to the teams success. He would become a bonus for WCE and as such would play much better.

But I do take your point on board.
IMO. Hunter should just stay in the Forward line, then if that happened West Coast would have no need to chase a quality forward (Which I'm not implying Tarrant is).

sauce_head said:
Don't you think he is just frustrated at the Pies? I think he is quality.
you don't trade on 'ifs'. if he had better delivery, if he wasn't frustrated etc etc. You trade on the facts, which is that tarrant hasn't had a good season since 03, fact. Much like Gardiner really!

Pies07 said:
We'll see how fine you are doing in a few days, would be a shame to watch this window of opportunity with the best midfield ever possibly go begging for want of a class forward
I've been over this a million times.

Tarrant is not a class forward, he might have potential, but so did Cupido.

zero said:
yeah, there is that too. that might be a reason for the eagles to push their first two picks rather than rosa and pick 1.

but you never know, if an in principal trade is organized (say the eagles said "we have a trade, if you want to go to collingwood you can, but if you dont then you can stay"), and collingwood are allowed to negotiate with him, they might convince him to go home with a long deal on OK money.
Maybe, though personally I'd rather keep rosa than a 2nd rd pick, he's more likely to help us during our 'window' of opportunity than a kid 2 yrs younger.

GoOsH1 said:
Maybe, though personally I'd rather keep rosa than a 2nd rd pick, he's more likely to help us during our 'window' of opportunity than a kid 2 yrs younger.
yep, its true. and rosa has shown alot already, whereas the dice is just rolled again if we take another young kid.

our first two picks might be just the thing

hmmm... i think if the price is right - go for it

he's not old, is naturally gifted and still has some potential - and i think if he made a move west it would be the best thing he ever did - new city, new life, clean slate - and i reckon woosha has what it takes to get the best out of him

i feel like we missed the boat with fev, but tarrant has the ability to play more than one position which is a bonus

rosa is great, but not crucial to our team structure - we have that many blokes knocking on the door the loss to our side would be negligible

rosa and pick 15/16, or our first 2 picks - i say do it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Tarrant looks like hes an Eagle in 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back