Tarrant looks like hes an Eagle in 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies07 said:
All Australian who would be a superstar with any kind of decent delivery, perhaps the fastest leading forward in the game... but you keep trying to win a flag with the big Q :p
Former all australian might be a superstar. chances are slim though.

might be the same player he is now, too. a 35 goal a year, middle aged forward.

Pies07 said:
25 years is middle aged?

Tarrant on the end of Kerr, Cousins and Judd would be something to see if not believe
in AFL football - yes.

I'd be surprised if tarrant cracked 50 goals with us to be honest, it's not the delivery thats killing him, it's himself.

GoOsH1 said:
you don't trade on 'ifs'. if he had better delivery, if he wasn't frustrated etc etc. You trade on the facts, which is that tarrant hasn't had a good season since 03, fact. Much like Gardiner really!

I understand your reservations, but you ALWAYS trade on ifs. If trading was certain, there would be no forum like these for discussing it, and there would be no midnight hour deals struck.

Pies07 said:
Wouldn't need to kick 50 goals, the guy is a freak, he runs all over the ground, he is perfect for modern day football
We need a guy to kick 50+ goals, if you hadn't noticed we have plenty of guys who can run all over the ground. If tarrant did that for us he wouldn't improve us as a team one iota.

Cassius_Clay said:
Not to mention Tarrant is a HFF. Compare him to O'Keefe not some dud who pretends to be a Full Forward.

If Tarrant started working as hard as O'Keefe, and someone schooled him in getting into position like O'Keefe, he could be a real champion. Athletically, he's got an advantage over O'Keefe. If he really wants to be, he can as good or better.

We've got a young side that has matured ahead of schedule. We don't require draft picks at present if maximising our chances to win as many flags as possible with the team we have is the goal (as it should be IMO). We need someone with experience and undeniable goal sense such as tarrant who is perhaps being held back due to his environment, choice of company and midfield supply. Over the coming 3 or 4 seasons, with our youth, we are in a position to be making annual tilts at the flag. To improve team balance, it makes sense to complement our youth with players in the middle of their career to provide stability and leadership to the side that only comes with experience.

I'd happily give up our first two picks for him.

I agree with the concept Section, just not convinced that Tarrant is the right man. He seems a bit flakey and probably a bit too expensive cap-wise compared to the risk, but id be happy to be proven wrong if it does happen. The potential is there...

True, but personally id prefer to retain that for renegotiating with judd etc at the end of next year rather than dumping gardys whole wage into a guy who may or may not fill a role significantly better than the blokes who currently do it Hunter, Staker, Hansen....

IMO its better to leave some capacity to retain the guns we have and draft for the future, unless there is a guaranteed gamebreaker we can get in. We have a deep september side already...

Pies07 said:
You all keep talking about a fair trade but wake up and smell the lost premierships for want of a forwardline, we can keep Tarrant or lose him, makes no difference to us, we are rebuilding... if a contender wants an all australian forward then they are going to have to pay over odds for him or we keep him... get it?... it's a sellers market where Taz is concerned
But reports are that Collingwood are keen to move him on, and that they are "shopping him around aggressively".

It may not be a case of persuading Collingwood to trade him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The inclusion of Tarrant is set to make some salary cap issues, Eagles will be looking to trade a key player to create some space.

ablettjnr said:
The inclusion of Tarrant is set to make some salary cap issues, Eagles will be looking to trade a key player to create some space.
Naw, Gardiner was on seriously big bucks. Braun and Wirra's wages approaching Veteran status aw well.

ablettjnr said:
This comment suggests you know more than you do.

WC wouldn't go after a guy like Tarrant if is was going to throw their finances into disarray and force them to trade an established player.

Genesis67 said:
Naw, Gardiner was on seriously big bucks. Braun and Wirra's wages approaching Veteran status aw well.

Not sure what Banner's was on, but theres another little pay packet to take into consideration.

In all honesty the more we talk about Tarrant at West Coast the more I like the sounds of it, we know he has the talent because we've seen it in little sparks over the years and maybe the move West could be just the thing he needs to get his ambition to play great football once again.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
But reports are that Collingwood are keen to move him on, and that they are "shopping him around aggressively".

It may not be a case of persuading Collingwood to trade him.

I don't think Collingwood is as keen to get rid of Tarrant as people think. The media has been pushing this. I haven't seen a quote from a Collingwood Official saying we hope to trade him. Everyone is up for trade in trade week if the price is right. I doubt he'll be traded at all.

Scotland said:
I don't see Tarrant as a knight in shining armour to the West Coast goalkicking cause, but he's not terrible, and would be worth a look all the same.
This is where things go off the rails. If there was such a thing as a knight in shinning armour then that player would cost you your first two draft picks which are late in the round anyway plus Waters, Rosa and another player and everyone at West Coast would gladly pay it because the last piece of the puzzle is worth a massive amount in a relative context. A non injury plagued J. Brown type might well be the ideal player but he’d cost the Earth. You probably couldn’t swing the deal unless you traded Kerr and an upgraded round 1 pick and even then it would be doubtful and that ignores the $1m p.a. you have to offer to get him interested.
Scotland said:
Rosa + 2nd round, I doubt the Pies would take that.
Rosa + 1st round?
Rosa + 2nd round + on-traded 3rd/4th round pick (gained for Gardiner)?
1st round + 2nd round?
Any other suggestions? Waters/Butler/Nicoski/Selwood are off limits.
Just my opinion but there can be no deal then. Waters and the first round pick should be Collingwood’s absolute bottom fall back position and from West Coast’s perspective neither would be missed. Collingwood should only consider quality rucks and quality young midfielder with good skills and pace and/or in and under grunt. The skills have to on negotiable and preferably the pace.

If WCE win on Saturday I suspect they won’t chase a forward anyway unless one falls in their lap.

de_LICA_ish18 said:
I don't think Collingwood is as keen to get rid of Tarrant as people think.
I'm just going on what Fox Footy reported last night.

They've obviously been given some indication that Tarrant is being shopped around.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
I'm just going on what Fox Footy reported last night.

They've obviously been given some indication that Tarrant is being shopped around.
MM was on SEN this morning. Reading between the lines I think Tarrant is for sale and willing to be sold. MM said Tarrant is questioning whether he should stay and going by MM’s guarded reasoning the club (or at least MM) have the same queries. That means it’s all a matter of price. West Coast’s price depends on Saturday I suspect. The bottom line is a loss means they need a forward and there aren’t many on offer. I only hope Collingwood don't just take the best offer regardless of whether it brings what we need which is an early pick and a quality young midfielder (or ruckman but I don't think MM values ruckman and the idiots at Collingwood still think Fraser is one).

MarkT said:
That means it’s all a matter of price. West Coast’s price depends on Saturday I suspect. The bottom line is a loss means they need a forward and there aren’t many on offer.
That's a little simplistic.

I don't think WC's list management strategies will be determined by Saturday's result.

If Collingwood are asking for something reasonable, I'd expect us to be interested even if we win.

If we lose, I don't think it means we're going to throw the kitchen sink at Collingwood to get Tarrant.

Yes it is simplistic but in simplistic terms a loss increases West coast's desire for a marking forward and Collingwood's (along with that of any other interested club) perception of the price they would pay.

If WCE lose, don’t get a forward and lose again where does that leave the football department/board/coach?

MarkT said:
. Waters and the first round pick should be Collingwood’s absolute bottom fall back position and from West Coast’s perspective neither would be missed.

Can't agree on that one

Waters probably has a higher trade value than Tarrant, let alone throwing in a 1st round super draft pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Tarrant looks like hes an Eagle in 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back