Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty simple really, they have 90,000 "believers" who have already signed on (basically a statement of support, a non-monetary membership).

Survey them online and they'll tell you what name they want.

I suspect it won't matter to much, "Tassie" will be used by most people.

Also, the Big Bash is hardly a great model. It's now in the toilet because, among other things, they went too far away from tradition. You have to strike a balance. People care about "Tasmania" and "Victoria" and it turns out they don't really give a s**t about the Renegades or Stars. Surprise surprise.

The Big Bash has struggled in recent years, but not because of the marketing of the teams. That has been an unqualified success, with the crowds over the decade of the competition dwarfing the state crowds of the 50-over format and Sheffield Shield.

I'm sure if you surveyed Tasmania's Basketball fans and asked them two years ago to name the new team, most of them would have said "Devils," After all, that was the name of the previous NBL team that existed there in the early 90's. What's the point of having a marketing team if you don't do your job and just name the team based on a "survey"? They thought beyond the square, came up with a new, catchy mascot (JackJumpers) and the rest is history.

It would have been a mistake to call the NBL team the Devils even though it would have been what most fans thought they wanted. Devils is boring, predictable and frankly the antithesis of what a modern, 2020's club should adopt. It shows literally no imagination.

This should have happened 30 years or more ago. It is too late now. Terrible administration by the AFL of the Tasmanian leagues, coupled with the destruction of school sport by Tasmania's education department in the late eighties have left a desert in an area that was once a stronghold of local football.
The insane demand for a new stadium for the team, when there exist two already, at a time of urgent need in housing and health has alienated the non football population, and left many football followers with a negative view on the new team. McLaughlin has set this up for failure.

100% this.

The Big Bash has struggled in recent years, but not because of the marketing of the teams. That has been an unqualified success, with the crowds over the decade of the competition dwarfing the state crowds of the 50-over format and Sheffield Shield.

I'm sure if you surveyed Tasmania's Basketball fans and asked them two years ago to name the new team, most of them would have said "Devils," After all, that was the name of the previous NBL that existed there in the early 90's. What's the point of having a marketing team if you don't do your job and just name the team based on a "survey". You might as well not even have a marketing team. They thought beyond the square, came up with a new, catchy mascot (JackJumpers) and the rest is history.

It would have been a mistake to call the NBL team the Devils even though it would have been what most fans thought they wanted. Devils is boring, predictable and frankly the antithesis of what a modern, 2020's club should adopt. It shows literally no imagination.
They 110% wanted to call the nbl team the devils the reason it didn’t happen was the afl already had is trademarked

Does anyone have a list of these players?
Depends on the criteria but the below list all played at any of Tasmania U18, Tasmania VFL or in the TFL and have played over 100 games, going back to the late 80s. Probably some missing and doesn't include anyone older (who wouldn't likely have sons at the right age anyway):

Russell Robertson
Brodie Holland
Brad Green
Brady Rawlings
Grant Birchall
Colin Garland
Jack Riewoldt
Mitch Robinson
Tom Bellchambers
Jeremy Howe
Liam Jones
Maverick Weller
Josh Green
Ben Brown
Brody Mihocek
Jimmy Webster
Toby Nankervis
Jake Kolodjashnij
Hugh Greenwood
James Manson
John McCarthy
Chris Bond
Simon Minton-Connell
Daryn Cresswell
Paul Williams
Aaron Hall
Brendon Gale
Adrian Fletcher
Andy Lovell
Simon Wiggins
Stephen Macpherson
Justin Sherman
Andrew Dunkley

The Age reported on Tuesday night the new team would have the right to bid for the sons of any former Tasmanian AFL player that played over 100 games, as well as a $1 million pool outside of the salary cap to fund sign-on bonuses to attract players.

Poor buggers, will have to leave there homes interstate to go and live in Tassie 😜

They 110% wanted to call the nbl team the devils the reason it didn’t happen was the afl already had is trademarked

And look at how successful the new name, JackJumpers, has been.

It shows you how a marketing department can hit it out of the park, when they think outside the box and can appeal to the younger generation. "Devils", I'm sorry, is tragically boring. It's almost as if you've given up trying to come up with something and named the team after what Bob from Kmart wants.

I repeat, what the point even having a bloody marketing department if such a predictable boring name is used?

Depends on the criteria but the below list all played at any of Tasmania U18, Tasmania VFL or in the TFL and have played over 100 games, going back to the late 80s. Probably some missing and doesn't include anyone older (who wouldn't likely have sons at the right age anyway):

Russell Robertson
Brodie Holland
Brad Green
Brady Rawlings
Grant Birchall
Colin Garland
Jack Riewoldt
Mitch Robinson
Tom Bellchambers
Jeremy Howe
Liam Jones
Maverick Weller
Josh Green
Ben Brown
Brody Mihocek
Jimmy Webster
Toby Nankervis
Jake Kolodjashnij
Hugh Greenwood
James Manson
John McCarthy
Chris Bond
Simon Minton-Connell
Daryn Cresswell
Paul Williams
Aaron Hall
Brendon Gale
Adrian Fletcher
Andy Lovell
Simon Wiggins
Stephen Macpherson
Justin Sherman
Andrew Dunkley
Missing a pretty big name there from your list. (albeit not one that will have a son playing anytime soon)

And look at how successful the new name, JackJumpers, has been.

It shows you how a marketing department can hit it out of the park, when they think outside the box and can appeal to the younger generation. "Devils", I'm sorry, is tragically boring. It's almost as if you've given up trying to come up with something and named the team after what Bob from Kmart wants.

I repeat, what the point even having a bloody marketing department if such a predictable boring name is used?
I don’t mind jack jumpers but what’s difference naming a team after a ant or a Tasmanian devil you don’t need to be a marketing genius

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to Tassie.

Hopefully it's not just the non-Victorian clubs who have to play them down there. Feels like the SA/WA/Qld teams have had to do too much of the heavy lifting when it comes to games in Hobart and Launceston.
Why would that be the case? I can’t imagine Victorian clubs queuing up to host Tasmania.

The Tassie club will take off straight away.

A short plane trip to the Apple Isle.

Demand will be through the roof.

Not counting the locals starving for their own team.

Looks like a ton of Tigers may be running the club.

I can see Jack going there in a role after he finishes up at Richmond.

Will be my second team.

Can’t see them having any problems with getting players wanting to play in Tassie. Sure 18yo kids probably prefer to be living the fast life in the city but there are plenty of people out there in their mid 20s partnered up and looking to start a family who would have no issues living a quieter life. If anything it will be a point of difference for the many out there who would prefer that lifestyle

Agree. Devils would be the most boring, predictable name imaginable. A marketing fail. It's as if they aren't even trying.

You only need to look at the inventive (and successful) marketing strategy for the new NBL team down there, with an unusual name to see how trying something outside the box works. It didn't just work - it kicked it out of the park.

The marketing for the Big Bash 10 years ago was also successful with animal names being banned. Consequently we got some much more modern, unusual and catchy names that are more appropriate for the 2020's and beyond.

Do you understand what core goal of marketing is in a situation like this?

Tasmanians already feel an emotional connection to the monitor 'Devils'. The marketing is already done. That's the end goal and it's been achieved before it's even started.

It can't be anything else.

Missing a pretty big name there from your list. (albeit not one that will have a son playing anytime soon)
So I did. Matthew Richardson played for Devonport which is currently in the North West Football League, my search was only for players from clubs who played for current TSL/TFL sides (as well as the VFL and Under 18 sides which Richo never played for). For that reason I also missed Jade Rawlings, Ben Harrison and the Febey twins.

Fages to coach
Gale to run it
Jack Riewoldt forward coach
Mitch Robinson to wear the mascot uniform
Matty Wade #1 ticket holder (former Tassie Under 18 Mariner)

Yeah, clubs like Liverpool and Man U/Man City are soooooo unsuccessful because it’s cold and there’s little to do there outside of training.

Those northern English clubs are some of the most successful in football history, it’s way colder in Liverpool than it ever is in Tasmania.

Most EPL players are English / European and are used to cold, dreary winters.

Liverpool and Man U can also spend whatever they want on players whereas Tasmania will be restricted by the salary cap.

Finally, Manchester and Liverpool are medium / large cities with real nightlife.

Therefore your comparison of these cities (and their football clubs) to Hobart is naive at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back